IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know whats the best way to warm up my sti or cool it down.. i usually warm it up for 5 minutes :eek: and then cool it down for about 2-3 minutes... if anyone know a better way pls let me know.. :p thx

·
Registered
65 Posts
Best way to warm it is to drive it slowly. You need to warm up more than just the motor. I usually fire mine up, let it settle down for 30 seconds, and then start driving, being sure to take it nice and easy shifting at 3500 for the first 2 or 3 minutes. Once the temp guage gets to it's normal operating temp...it's hammer time!

As far as cool down, same process in reverse. I always settle down once i'm within 3 or 4 minutes from the house. Driving nice and easy and short shifting. This allows everything to cool down to normal temps before putting her away wet..... :wink:

·
Registered
983 Posts
toyworx said:
Best way to warm it is to drive it slowly. You need to warm up more than just the motor. I usually fire mine up, let it settle down for 30 seconds, and then start driving, being sure to take it nice and easy shifting at 3500 for the first 2 or 3 minutes. Once the temp guage gets to it's normal operating temp...it's hammer time!

As far as cool down, same process in reverse. I always settle down once i'm within 3 or 4 minutes from the house. Driving nice and easy and short shifting. This allows everything to cool down to normal temps before putting her away wet..... :wink:
like he said.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What wheels FOR Sure fit? and where to get them?

lool.. nice but is there a reason why only 30 seconds b4 moving the car.. :)

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I like to turn the ignition on in stages. First I go to the setting where the car is on but the engine is not started. The dash goes through its startup dance and you can hear the oil pump bring the pressure up and prep the engine for starting. I'm usually careful not to have any accessories on (radio, fan, etc.) since I don't want any extra load on the starter and then I start the engine.

In cold weather I find that 1st gear is difficult to select, nearly impossible once it gets very cold. The length of warm up time is directly related to the outside temperature - even though I keep it in a garage overnight.

I have to say I'm impressed (or am I Impreza-ed?) with the heater coil on that car. It warms up faster and provided far superior heat than my big block V8 truck.

Lars

·
Registered
858 Posts
depends on your weather...

in kalifornia, this is my startup routine:

1. get into car.
2. start car.
3. turn on radio
4. adjust mirror
5. close door
6. seatbelt on
7. check out next door MILF if running around living room in a short nightie
8. do dance if great dance song is on xm.
9. shift into 1st
10. keep boost low until temp needle moves...

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
1. Start car
2. Wait until temp gauge reaches the minimum normal operating range
3. Reverse out
4. Drive with as little boost as possible unless it is an emergency
5. When warm and driving for about 5 miles, step on it like you stole it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lool nobody mentioned cooling it down.. so i'm assuming you dont cool you sti's b4 turning off the engine..:-D i wana know whats the disadvantages of not warming up the car and did anyone experienced anything cuz of that... thx

·
Registered
668 Posts
i let my car idle for 15 seconds after I'm parked. That's what my dealer said. We don't need turbo timers to help cool off our turbos, but he said those 15 seconds of idle if I've been driving hard will help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
did the dealer mention why its only 15 sec.. and what with they help with.. i wonder what could 15 sec does??

·
Registered
38 Posts
i don't know a whole lot about the sti's turbo system, but i know with most turbo cars (cars setup w/aftermarket turbos), turbo timers are a very good thing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
All you guys baby your engines way to much.

Everyone LISTEN UP.

There is no need for excessive warm-up. Warming up an engine is for old school cars with carburators and chokes. Vehicles like these must warm up the engine due to the fact that cold motors need a richer air fuel ratio to ignite properly. Old V8's will putter around until operating temp.

WE HAVE SOMETHING EXTREMELY HI-TECH that we call FUEL INJECTION!

Our ECU knows that when coolant temps are cold, they richen up the air-fuel ratio automatically so that we are able to drive without having the coolant warm up to 170F degrees.

WARMING UP THE ENGINE FOR A LONG PERIOD IS ACTUALLY BAD FOR THE ENGINE! HOW COULD THIS BE TRUE!

Remember, a cold motor need more fuel to operate without misfiring. A richer mixture will not completely burn all the fuel present in the cylinders. Therefore there is carbon left over after each cycle. A cold motor will show excess carbon build-up and the valves and the exhaust. YOU WANT YOUR MOTOR TO WARM UP AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE! This is the reason why we have thermostats in the car.

BOTTOM LINE. Start the car. Idle for a FEW seconds so that the oil pump can get some pressure built up and circulate the oil that has been sitting at the bottom of the pan to the top of the motor. Then drive conservatively for the first 2 mins. The motor will warm up faster with light driving that just sitting there building up carbon deposits.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Just bought mine.....REPO

jeffsti said:
All you guys baby your engines way to much.

BOTTOM LINE. Start the car. Idle for a FEW seconds so that the oil pump can get some pressure built up and circulate the oil that has been sitting at the bottom of the pan to the top of the motor. Then drive conservatively for the first 2 mins.
Exactly.

-st

·
Registered
39 Posts
S20-SC

Thanks for agreeing with me Singletrack.

These guys just have to realize that we drive cars, not babies. Now, I wouldn't rev the motor to redline the second I start her up, but driving conservatively will get the job done.

As for shut-down...

It all matters how hard you were driving the car before coming to your destination. For instance if I stopped at a rest stop along a highway right after driving 90 MPH and with the turbo boosting because I was going uphill, sure I would let it idle for 1 minute. But we also have a water cooled turbo, that helps cool the bearing after shut-down. You could probably hear the water boiling after the motor is off. The boiling water is using up heat energy from the turbo, thus cooling it down.

Anything over 1 min. is pretty excessive, but you guys are always on the safe side.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts