IW STi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know that rattles and rasp are two evils of exhaust mods. they usually indicate a cheap 1.5 L honda mill or metal banging on metal. but i am enamored with the E46 M3 exhaust rattle (most of those familiar agree it is incredible). it sounds like the exhaust is hitting some harmonic around 4k. even my relatives saturn SW2 has something similar in its stock SS exhaust.

how can i capture this in my '06 STI? i want a reserved, muted gas note, like the prodrive muffler, with the mechanical harmonic. since i believe it is a harmonic on the exhaust tubing itself, i assume it would require buying more than an axle back system. maybe i just need some really thin walled tubing?

would the combination of the prodrive axle back with prodrive midpipe (sans resonator) give me what i am looking for?

thx in advance!

·
Registered
582 Posts
novoproto said:
i know that rattles and rasp are two evils of exhaust mods. they usually indicate a cheap 1.5 L honda mill or metal banging on metal. but i am enamored with the E46 M3 exhaust rattle (most of those familiar agree it is incredible). it sounds like the exhaust is hitting some harmonic around 4k. even my relatives saturn SW2 has something similar in its stock SS exhaust.

how can i capture this in my '06 STI? i want a reserved, muted gas note, like the prodrive muffler, with the mechanical harmonic. since i believe it is a harmonic on the exhaust tubing itself, i assume it would require buying more than an axle back system. maybe i just need some really thin walled tubing?

would the combination of the prodrive axle back with prodrive midpipe (sans resonator) give me what i am looking for?

thx in advance!
You want rasp? You know people pay good money to eliminate it on E46 M3's... :eek:

·
IWSTI Club Level 11ty
5,835 Posts
i heard that noise for the first time from my neighbor yesterday... i thought to myself "that noise is coming from a ~50K$ CAR!?!?!??!" In otherwords, it sounded like a 5K$ car with a 20$ muffler.... not good.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I am surprised that someone wants to add it to their STi. I think it sounds great when the car is uncorked with a loud exhaust, but the stock exhaust sounds a little too raspy from the outside.

From the inside, it's a completely different story. :D

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
smurfm3 said:
You want rasp? You know people pay good money to eliminate it on E46 M3's... :eek:
i know, i know.

i like the exhaust pops and burbles on S4's and RS4's that many people try to get rid of. i am jealous of all the valve-train and gear noise that most porsche owners gripe about. i even love the ducati cacophony of dry-clutch rattle and whirring (more like hammering) of desmodromic valves.

too bad the M3 exhaust doesn't bolt on to the STI. i could then get it on the cheap!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.