IW STi Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at a couple of cars lately that I want to purchase. All are AWD.

1. Subaru WRX STi
2. Volve V70R
3. Audi A4 Avant 3.0

haha, I would love to get an S4, but that is just too much money for a car. Could put a down payment on a decent sized house for that and make some money with rent.

Obviously, this is an STi forum and people are going to say that I should buy the STi.

What I am wondering is if I should buy one soon, or wait for the 2005? I went to the Subaru dealership and asked about the STi. They said that I have the choice of Blue, Blue or Blue. I want White.

The sales guy said that Subaru is no longer making 2004s. WTF? It is still 2003 last time I checked. He said that the 2005s would be coming out in the spring. I know some of it was a sales tactic as he said that it would be harder and harder to get one... and "what do I have to do to get you in one? Look for a white one?" ROFL...

Anyway, I obviously haven't driven one, but I am not jumping to get one because:

1. They are more expensive here than in the states. Based on my calculations, you could fly down and drive one back and save $5-7000 (in Alberta) if you got one in the states.
2. No HID.
3. No heated seat for passenger (must keep my woman's bum hot as that makes her happy and thus makes me lucky... err happy).

Since spring is around the corner, I am very tempted to wait for the 2005s for the possibility of HID, maybe a heated seat (the sales guy said that the DCCD computer is in the seat, but I think that it is just cause there is no place to put the switch) and a lower price.

What do you guys think? Floormats are great, but HIDs are better.

Thanks,
B

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are definitely some positive and negative points to waiting for the 2005. Since I'm working through the same dilemma (...buy now, buy later, buy now, buy later, buy now...), I'll share some of my thoughts.

"Buy now" positives
:

- You'll be able to get the car for just over invoice. I know this for a fact, as I almost bought an STi last week. The dealership is making around $4,000 on the STi, so the savings for buying now are substantial. If you waited, I really doubt that you would get anywhere near the deal you could get now. When spring rolls around, everyone will be looking to buy.

- You don't have to wait... and wait... and wait for your car to come in.

Sidebar: My theory on the current STi purchasing environment right now is that everyone who really (i.e. enthusiasts) wanted an STi have their cars. Whatever STi's dealerships have on their lots now are going to be hard sells because I believe the customer demographic has now shifted predominantly to those customers who are just looking for good value, good practicality, good looks, luxury, etc. Customers who, if given the choice between a BMW 330, G35 Coupe, 350z or an STi, would probably rank the STi pretty low. So having said that, yes I agree that dealerships don't have many STi's left... but the ones they do have, the dealerships are going to try REAL hard to off-load. As a prospective new-car buyer, I love this situation. So, we have gone from dealerships saying "This is the price and we're not budging" to "What will it take for you to buy the car NOW!". I don't appreciate the pressure tactics, but I do enjoy watching the sales people trying to come up with all sorts of deals to entice me into buying.

"Buy later" positives:
- You won't have to throw down $2,000 for rims and snow tires right away (...obviously you could spend less, but the fact remains you'll need snows right away if you plan on driving the car in the winter)

- You can wait to see if HIDs, passenger side heated seats (yes, my wife likes her bum warmed too :) ), or any other goodies are introduced for 2005
- You'll probably get the colour you want.

- You'll probably get a car that is slightly more refined. Subaru probably would've worked out the problem that was causing all the pinging

So, to summarize: If you can wait (...patience is a virtue :)), and you don't mind spending $2,000 or $3,000 more for your car, then wait it out. For me, money is a factor (... that and I can never pass up a good deal), so I'm leaning towards getting the car sooner rather than later.

T

·
0 Posts
Fact is, if you're waiting for a heated seat and HID's, then I'm afraid you're getting this car for the wrong reasons. This car is not about luxuries or conveniences, it's a pure performance car. If you want performance then look no further, this car is the biggest bang for the buck out there. If your priorities lie in conform and convenience then you might want to look at other models or brand names.

Myself I knew this is the car I wanted and I put a down on it last Jan. when it was first announced. At the time the price and features were not an issue for me. I wanted this high performance car no matter what. Wether it had this or that as options or standard equipment was irrelevant to me, as long as I had that powerful drivetrain and performance package, I was happy.

I realize that the car is cheaper in the states and the car is lacking in some refinements. However I was decided that this was the car that I wanted and I wanted one in my parking space and that was the price I had to pay.

Like mentioned above, the die hards got the car no matter what. If you're unsure about purchasing this car for whatever reason then maybe another brand might be better suited for you. But know this, once you test drive this puppy, it's hard to pass up. But you will give up some comfort and luxuries for performance.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Exhaust

the die hards got the car no matter what. If you're unsure about purchasing this car for whatever reason then maybe another brand might be better suited for you. But know this, once you test drive this puppy, it's hard to pass up. But you will give up some comfort and luxuries for performance.
Hey Turbs, I tend to agree with you BUT....... some of our wives have a say in what we buy too ... :) It is ALL about the performance, but extra selling features to convince the wife certainly don't hurt...

If wanting HID's and heated seats means that I want this car for the wrong reasons... then I suspect I'm not alone... Mind you... as you stated earlier, I don't think that not having them would stop me from buying this car if it was at all viable at the moment.

Sorry guy's just giving my 1.5 cents.... ( coverted to USD :) )

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am in the same boat as benyl.

I have always been a performance car (actually a sports car) nut all my driving life and a bit beforehand too. I used to own a 1992 300ZX TT, then a Lexus SC400 before getting married and after that had to switch to a budget minded 93 S13 240SX. That was sold last Jan for...a friggin Jeep TJ! Why? I was planning on buying a newer house with extra garage space this coming summer and thought the TJ would be a good winter car (and it is). Now however, house plans are delayed for an extra year and I'm literally dying driving that hunk of scrap all day to work and back! I need a performance car again, but its got to be practical and have 4 doors and 4wd so it can be used all year long up here in chilly Ottawa. Enter the WRX. Loved it, but I held out for the STi and just drove it finally yesterday.

The dealership here has 3 of them for MSRP of $47K.

Now I'm contemplatign should I just wait until this spring when the money situation improves somewhat or just bite the bullet and get it now. Of course I can just get the std WRX but my fragile ego requires me to know I can destroy everything else on the road. ;)

*sigh*

(btw anyone know when the Evo9 is coming to Canada??).

JZ

·
Registered
304 Posts
Honestly, I think the only thing you have to do to answer this question is test drive all of those cars. I cant see anyone test driving an STi then not buying it if they could :lol:

As for the waiting thing, thats really tough. I myself wasnt able to, and although I agree with the "pure performance" argument, I really do feel ripped off when comparing it to the USD prices. If they threw in HIDs, it would make me feel a little bit better about paying an outrageously higher price. I looked into importing one, but the RIV told me not going to happen anytime soon. I have to rip around in it to make myself feel better about it so I dont remember :)

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Does anyone have Pioneer REV TS-D160R in their setup?

If it's cheaper to buy one in the States, and it's legal, then go for it.

Aftermarket bum warmers are available.

Aftermarket HIDs are available, but personally I question their value.

Sure, there will be advantages to waiting till next year...but there's no guarantee that the things you want will be included.

My recommendation is to test drive an STi. If it doesn't excite you, walk away from it. Actually, since you've got a list of candidates, you should drive them all and see which one you find yourself thinking about the most.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm still shopping around. (Actually I am in no hurry to buy, and am basically giving myself until April to pick one up).

Also on my list:
1) Saab 9-3
2) Audi S4
3) BMW 540i (last gen, hate the new one).
4) RX-8
5) Infiniti G35 Coupe
6) IS300

·
Registered
41 Posts
I am on the same boat, and I choose to wait. V70R and STi are both on my list of course I like them both, here are the reason why I am holding back.

With the STi:

1. NO HID, it is in fact an safety feature IMHO. The head light on the Canadian spec STi is pretty good actually. But I beening driving with HID for 3.5 years, I will not live without them. Becasue they do make a difference to me. I am driving the car, as long as it makes a difference to me then I want it.

Aftermarket HID kit can give you trouble with cops. just keep that in mind.

2. Image and extra attention from the police. I don't care too much about the image part, but it will give you extra attention from the police. No question about that. If you are young, huh... some things for you to consider. But that has to do with where you live as well I guess.

3. Subaru are over-price in Canada relatively compared to other countries.

V70R/S60R:

1. similar issues with the headlight. While they do have HID, I know for sure that the US spec car have no high-beam. The high-beam on the US-spec car is the same as the low-beam, but they just change the angle of the reflector. So, you basically only have one blub for both high/low beam. Where as most other cars have high-beam and low-beam using seperate bulbs. The place for the high-beam becomes day-time-running light.

That's odd, because most cars have high-beam as the day-time runnign light with just lower volt. Something you might want to look into

2. The performance sucks. The car is heavier and the torque distribution is not as rear-biased. Also, engine output and performance claim of the car seem to be over-rated.

If you care about performance, then you might not be really happen with the S60R/V70R.

3. It is very hard to chip the car. The volvo ECU is coded to the eneing. So, you can't buy a spare ECU like people do with Audi. So, no easy mod for the Volvo.

With all that said. I think for about $70000 after tax and everything VS $55000 on the STi. The extra stuff you get with the Volvo is worth the extra money. I also like the fact that it is stealth, but the performance really :roll:

But the real reason that's holding me back, theft. I guess the area that I live sucks :( . The cost to repair the demage they did was about $550 for driver/passenger side lock the last time. :(

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you want some luxury with a splash of performance, go get an acura, inifiniti, lexus or something. Subarus were made to be practical. And on that note I love my car!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: is there life after 28?

bekster43 said:
If you want some luxury with a splash of performance, go get an acura, inifiniti, lexus or something. Subarus were made to be practical. And on that note I love my car!
Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to start a flame war, but I would like to point out that the S60R is actually more practical than the STi.

It is roomier, arguably safe, and have split-folding rear seat and folding front passenger seat. That's with both the sedan and V70R wagon.

Also, IMHO, the Subaru is not made to be practical at all. It is made with economical performance :lol: and I guess that's all it matters. The harsh suspension is a nono when taking girls around.

·
Premium Member
7,482 Posts
I'm in the same boat. The biggest thing holding me back right now is how overpriced the STi is in Canada. It is like they priced it to compete with the 350Z. The STi should be around $40-42k in Canada and the issue is made worse by the fact that we lose the HIDs. Regardless of whether the HIDs make a difference, if the US-model has 'em, so should we - especially if we are to pay a premium.

Another reason there is a markup on the STi in Canada is probably because its direct competitor, the Evo 8, won't be available in Canada until next year (or later, if at all.) Subaru knows they can jack up the price because they don't have any competition.

The only thing that keeps me wanting the STi is how powerful the engine and drivetrain are. The STi blows the 350Z out of the water. I'm still torn though. I know I won't be buying a 2004 (wife won't let me :D) and I may hold off until '06 but I feel like I'm missing out. While my RSX is much better looking than the STi (IMHO) it doesn't have anywhere near the performance or stability in the winter.

·
Registered
344 Posts
....by the time you pay the japanese import duties, and the fees to convert from the not-legal-in-canada HIDs to Canadian legal lights, the $200 registrar of imported vehicles fee, the GST, and the brokerage fees the costs are the same.

Add in the warranty difficulties, the lack of a pass through on the US model rear seat, the $1,000 you will pay to put in a stereo which the canadian car has, the $150 embroidered floor mats the americans can't get and the Canadian model is cheaper.

Plus- can you write a check to pay for the car OUTRIGHT ? If not --good luck finding ANYONE that will lend you money at a decent rate to finance the purchase of a car that is not even in this country.

I bought my car outright, so I went through this exercise before buying mine -- there was no savings after looking at the complete picture..

Sporty.

·
Registered
304 Posts
CLEAR plastic headlight protectors from AUS...

Your math doesnt work dude, its still several thousand dollars cheaper to get an american car.

Yes, the list of things and fees is kind of long, but no, that doesnt mean it adds up to anything close to favorable. Keep in mind the Canadian dollar is now far higher than it was a few months ago.

T

·
0 Posts
Also keep in mind that there are over 3000 vehicles for sale in the states and only 300-350 for sale in Canada. As mentioned above, the price was set back at the beginning of the year and the Canadian dollor shot up 14 cents since. So you'd have to base the price at the value of the dollar 10 or so months ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts