IW STi Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SBC-ID

Hi,

I want to keep the stock STi wing and trunk, so I'm looking to buy a new plain stock trunk (Impreza) that fits my '04 STi.

I want to find out which dealerships/bodyshops in the U.S. can provide the trunk, paint (PSM), and ship to 95070.

I've heard that different parts of the country can have different pricing, so I'd like to see the best pricing.

I'll do the installation locally.

Thanks! Any additional advice or pointers would be welcome.

-Steve

·
Registered
208 Posts
I am going to do the same thing when I pick up my STi. I am getting from the dealer that sells the car to me. I am interested in what else is needed. Couple of things to get the topic started:

1) Lock, is there a way to get an extra matching lock cylinder or is a swap the only thing?
2) Third brake light, I know the brake light is in the wing for the STi, I assume I will have to buy an extra led 3rd light set.
3) STi badging, if you want it you gotta buy it. I will do with out. In fact the wingless trunk may be completely badgeless. :wink:
4) Paint, it should be painted from the factory. (Sweet and easy)
5) Price, OK I am at the end of what I know. Sorry I can't help there.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Unless you buy it off someone with a WRX, a new trunk will not come painted (would you want the dealership to paint it and send it to you? probably not). New wings come prepainted from the factory in the color you specify. Third brake light is included as well as the appropriate trunk springs. If you installed a wrx trunk without replacing the STI springs, then your trunk would open with enough force to launch a quarter about the length of a football field.

Here is your best bet: Find someone with an '04 that you like locally. Approach him/her and explain your interest in their trunk assuming it is in an acceptable condition. Offer to buy him/her a carbon fiber trunk in exchange. Then find a junk yard and get the springs yourself (I have gotten them for $40. Carbon fiber can cost you from $400 on up, but a new wrx trunk and spoiler from the dealership including shipping will probably end up costing you in excess of $700 (which is the retail price you can get it for at your local dealership. Then add the cost of painting the trunk that you bought, and whammo, your bill just came very close to $1000. Also, color matching is an additional risk that you would have to factor in if you bought all this stuff new.

So you may want to find it from someone with an "04 with low mileage and whose car has been damaged.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Well thats news to me. Any more opinions or info?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool feedback. Thanks.

This is what I've found out for now.

I'd thought of going the way of finding an '04 deck lid from a damaged car, finding some guy who would take a cf deck, etc., but I can't control either scenario and just rely on luck, which sucks.

So what prompted my post was my research in buying a new WRX deck lid, which will require a few things, some of which were already mentioned:

1. new deck lid ('04, unpainted)
2. painting of the deck lid (PSM)
3. middle brake light and springs (I can get from the yard as was mentioned)
4. trunk and lock swap labor.

I can handle 3 and 4.

What I wanted to know from this post was which dealer/bodyshop group can get me 1 and 2, the deck lid, painted in PSM and shipped to me at 95070.

I'm asking for bidders if they're out there.

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I do not mean to discourage you, but you may have better chances of striking it rich by digging for oil in your backyard.

Do not take that as an insult, but I have done several PSM and WRB STI trunk swaps and am in the process of another right now. Getting a perfect 04 WRX trunk in perfect condition is VERY difficult. Getting somebody to quote you a bargain for buying you a brand new '04 trunk and then painting it for you and then shipping it to you is next to impossible; and not far from it.

On a lighter note, if you are willing to accept some minor albeit unnoticeable markings, you can usually find an 02-04 trunk for $250-350 in your OEM color. I would check locally before going out of state since shipping can run from $80-150 depending on the carrier and distance the item is being shipped.

Whether you want to learn from my experience is your choice, but do not feel foolish when you realize that what I am typing here is not BS.

Another option is to get Subaru bucks at a discount, then buy the trunk and just pay to have it painted. It will not be substantially cheaper, but slightly less expensive.

But hey if I am wrong then maybe you will get some serious bidders, but I may be right so if a trunk comes your way that is not flawless like one brand new in the box, you might want to think twice before passing it up.

The problem that I see with what you are asking for is:

1) you must prepay (you want someone to buy the trunk and paint it; that is a significant business risk)
2) Ship it to you (they will want this upfront too because if you flake then they have to find another buyer)
3) Do you really expect them to match the paint on your car when they do not have access to it?

Hey, what the hell, I am looking for one too, so if anybody is out there is willing to prove me wrong, I am willing to take a third one on the condition that the previous two guys that buy them from you are happy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No insult taken, and I'm sure what you say is true.

Again, I'm looking to solve a problem. I don't care how I do it, so anything that works is welcome.

But you're saying that dealers would not be interested in getting my business?

I'm pretty much open to any of the above options, assuming I can find what I need.

Ideally, finding a good condition 02-04 trunk in my color would be best costwise.

If you know any available, I'm interested.

Thanks!

Steve

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I think dealers do not want to go throught the trouble of painting the lid unless you roll in there and ask them to do it, but hey if there is a market, then some business should be willing to tap it.

Since you too have silver, I will let you know what I come across.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nivek-CA said:
I think dealers do not want to go throught the trouble of painting the lid unless you roll in their and ask them to do it, but hey if there is a market, then some business should be willing to tap it.

Since you too have silver, I will let you know what I come across.
Much obliged!

Thanks,

Steve

·
Registered
208 Posts
OK, believe what you want but I just got off the phone with the bodyshop at my local Subaru dealer and they quoted me a new decklid.
Part: $324. Painted $656.61
Badges are like an extra $50.
Any regional differences in part costs would be greatly overshadowed by shipping costs for such a large item.
$656 ain't bad, I am in.

·
Registered
208 Posts
One more comment, the body shop did mention that the color might not be a factory match. But because its all new, its gotta be pretty damn close.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Yeah, call your local dealership. Probably the best avenue to getting what you want. Also, ask them if the labor is included to remove the key and latch for you. The key can be a PIA part to remove and keep intact without damaging something.

·
Registered
208 Posts
It brings me back to one of the original issues. Is there a way to get another matching lock cylinder?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts