IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I was always a DSM guy, and finally purchased an STi. It is an '04 and is completely stock with a Perrin intake charge pipe. First off , please consider that I am on a tight budget, so here is my question..

I am looking to install a downpipe, manual boost controller, and was wondering if I should throw in a Walboro pump to be safe @ 18 Psi?

Any input greatly appreciated ( and please don't tell me to do the ECU yet ! )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
323 Posts
You don't need it yet, but i'll be doing some testing this weekend as my car is on the bleeding edge of boost that still makes power and it taxes the fuel system pretty good (stock turbo)... we'll see what happens in this sceneario... you're DEFINATELY fine for some time to come though without it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
irregardless of how you look at it (I'm a previous DSM'r too), the fuel pump can't hurt. SO I would recommend that you do it (you'll need it anyway if you go bigger) and from everything thing I've been able to find, there is no 'need' for an upgraded FPR if you install a 255lph high pressure pump (unlike the DSMs)

That being said, you WILL need to get EM (COBB AP, or UTEC, etc...)
the car WILL run lean and tuning with a piggy back is just a waste of time and effort on the STIs (especially when there's proven methods of tuning via STOCK ECU, yes,.. no socketing, no "link", no even real need for "tuner" software)

a Downpipe and COBB Access Port @ Stage 2 Off-the-Shelf maps (OTS) will run @ 17psi (peak) WITHOUT any extra Boost controllers and on the STOCK Fuel pump...

I would go so far as to recommend that you discard all you learned street tuning a DSM (or even Dyno-tuning for that matter) and read the boards regarding tuning a STI/WRX...

You'll just be wasting your money on a EBC or MBC and Fuel Pump if you don't do the research on "what works" first.

Just my 2c and MY opinion of things.

-tazer
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,120 Posts
well I think your off to a bad start already. No good will come from that MBC, except a post from you later about a blown motor. Not sure what a "DSM'er" means but if youve done any tuning you will know there is more required than a knob to turn up boost. A new pump wont hurt anything but will be a waste without EM....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
928 Posts
2fas4u said:
Not sure what a "DSM'er" means but if youve done any tuning you will know there is more required than a knob to turn up boost.
IIRC DSM=Diamond Star Motors- joint projects between Chrysler and Mitsubishi. Usually refers to Eclipses/Talons and 3000gt/Stealth etc.
 

·
pwn n00bs
Joined
·
18,247 Posts
you can't just bolt these parts on and expect it to run legit.

a. no manual boost controller, if you did get one you would NEED a professional tune and you can't just turn it and expect it to run correctly..
b. the fuel pump is good, i put mine in when i went stage 2 to prep for my current setup.
c. buy a dp, a tune, and the fuel pump and be on your way.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,324 Posts
I'm sure you can find a used Cobb AP, and Downpipe for $600 or so..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
506 Posts
tazer said:
I would go so far as to recommend that you discard all you learned street tuning a DSM (or even Dyno-tuning for that matter) and read the boards regarding tuning a STI/WRX...

You'll just be wasting your money on a EBC or MBC and Fuel Pump if you don't do the research on "what works" first.

Just my 2c and MY opinion of things.

-tazer
I agree with Tazer, the STi tuning isn't like tuning just another turbo car. I've learned a lot from this site and it has helped me to not make the mistakes that would kill my car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks alot for the input, I've been reading around... looks like Im gonna do the DP and intake for now. Next an exhaust and a reflash.

Thanks again!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Turbotoyzz said:
Thanks alot for the input, I've been reading around... looks like Im gonna do the DP and intake for now. Next an exhaust and a reflash.

Thanks again!
I would highly recommend that you not follow that path.
your car will run lean. Your car's performance will suffer. you will likely not be happy.

even if you did nothing to a stock STI, getting a COBB Access Port and applying the Stage 1 reflash will yield decent results and smoother performance.

then save your money and get a Down-pipe + cat-back if you can swing it, and immediately go to stage 2 = ~340hp (claimed by Cobb),... all without adding a fuel pump, bigger injectors, safc, or any of that...

hell there are even people here and around the sti/wrx community that have done it "blind" (i.e.: no gauges installed to even monitor the car) and they're still running. I don't agree with not knowing what your car's doing, but hey it's hard to argue with those that have been doing it for a while now.

Then if you're really wanting to go 'bigger', get the Cobb Street tuner 'add-on' to your Cobb AP, and then you can 'tune'... there are "pro-tuners" that will also do that for you (tailor your tune to the mods you have on your car)

I'm running a 06, Stage 2 via Cobb AP, no upgraded fuel pump, no upgraded injectors, and believe me when I say "it's nice to just have it work" (versus life working on a DSM)

again just my 2c... research research research.... that's all that will hear from most here. there's TONS of information. but i hope I'm getting thru to you.

This is NOT your old DSM... your STI has WORLDS more support and research already available to make your life easier.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,081 Posts
Down Pipe and Cobb Access Port are the first mods of choice... These engines are not like the 4G63 engine where what ever you throw at it, being mbc/ebc or fuel pump/rails/injectors ..Will pretty much do ok or learn on its own.. best to read up on the Subaru Boxer Engine(ej257) which is what you have in your STi plus do A LOT of readin on this site BEFORE you buy or install any upgrade on your vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
772 Posts
DP with no tuning could cause boost creep (causes fuel cut) and this is more common in the 2004. Wait for some EM than hook up a DP. You won't blow your car up if you do you just won't get much gain. Also be aware of some intakes for the Impreza. Most aren't worth it unless your professionally tuned for it. Good luck and welcome to the best community of owners in the world. Cobb off the shelf stage 2 FTW!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
If you want power and can't afford much you might want to go with a Ebay TBE (CHEAP and gives the power) and Stage 2 AP. It is really worth it. At first i though it was steep to pay 650 for it but once you feel it you won't miss those 650 (unless you forgot to do your car payment first) Then you might get a protune and there you will feel a world of gain too. Ebay is good but you really really need to know what to buy and not to buy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
336 Posts
tazer said:
irregardless of how you look at it (I'm a previous DSM'r too), the fuel pump can't hurt. SO I would recommend that you do it (you'll need it anyway if you go bigger) and from everything thing I've been able to find, there is no 'need' for an upgraded FPR if you install a 255lph high pressure pump (unlike the DSMs)

That being said, you WILL need to get EM (COBB AP, or UTEC, etc...)
the car WILL run lean and tuning with a piggy back is just a waste of time and effort on the STIs (especially when there's proven methods of tuning via STOCK ECU, yes,.. no socketing, no "link", no even real need for "tuner" software)

a Downpipe and COBB Access Port @ Stage 2 Off-the-Shelf maps (OTS) will run @ 17psi (peak) WITHOUT any extra Boost controllers and on the STOCK Fuel pump...

I would go so far as to recommend that you discard all you learned street tuning a DSM (or even Dyno-tuning for that matter) and read the boards regarding tuning a STI/WRX...

You'll just be wasting your money on a EBC or MBC and Fuel Pump if you don't do the research on "what works" first.

Just my 2c and MY opinion of things.

-tazer

"irregardless" is not a word, fyi.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
I'm no scholar, so I had to look it up, but you're right..
http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/irregardless

Main Entry: ir·re·gard·less
Pronunciation: "ir-i-'gärd-l&s
Function: adverb
Etymology: probably blend of irrespective and regardless
nonstandard : REGARDLESS
usage Irregardless originated in dialectal American speech in the early 20th century. Its fairly widespread use in speech called it to the attention of usage commentators as early as 1927. The most frequently repeated remark about it is that "there is no such word." There is such a word, however. It is still used primarily in speech, although it can be found from time to time in edited prose. Its reputation has not risen over the years, and it is still a long way from general acceptance. Use regardless instead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
now... back on topic ? :)
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top