IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I was a sckeptic at first of the pinging problems people have been having. After 3 weeks of owning my Sti, the infamous sound rears its ugly head. I've never heard the sound of detonation but I have listened to it on the turboxs website. The sound is easily identifiable, even for someone who has never heard it. I went WOT at the onramp to the highway and at about 3700rpms I heard the sound of a distant BB gun going off from under the hood. It was a cool 78 degrees outside and I had 93 octane gas in her. I don't understand how Subaru could let something like this happen in a production car. I am not too stressed about it....yet. I will call Subaru's customer service line and see what they have to say about it. My advice to anyone that encounters this problem is to make sure you report it to Subaru. The more people who speak up about this, the faster they will take action. The engineers better come up with a recall for this one. A reprogrammed ECU or something before it turns into having to replace engines.

All I know is they better take action soon because if word gets out to the public, their sales will plummet. One thing you have to remember: When your right, you're right - when you're wrong, no one forgets.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to hear your car has the detonation problem too. I think we'll be hearing from more owners in same situation soon. The problem appears fairly widespread given the small number of cars delivered so far and even fewer people who have completed the break-in period. It's frustrating waiting so long to get a car like this, then having to baby the car for 1,000 mi. during break-in, only to find out it has a major problem with Detonation.

Glad to hear you will be calling Subaru and I'm eagerly waiting for them to respond to this issue. I assume you will be taking the car to the dealer ASAP. May be helpful to call them in advance and make sure they will take a ride along and document the problem. I would also suggest you have them plug the service monitor into your car and record what's happening with the timing. Have them file a report with SOA. Get a case number and copy of the report. Call 1 800 SUBARU3 to follow up.

T

·
0 Posts
Ok I give up! I've had it and I need to say this...

What the heck does WOT mean???

(stop laughing over there)

·
Registered
307 Posts
any chance all you guys are getting old stail fuel, some stations sell only a small amout of premium, if it sits in there tanks to long it will lose its potency and the detonation will happen, would be worse at sea level.I'm at 2200 feet, I look for the stations that move the most fuel, in areas that have high traffic and areas with high end cars, they tend to use premium in there vehicles, keeping the stock fresh, :wink:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so I called SOA and they obviously denied all knowledge of the problem. The customer rep. told me since this is a new car, there is not enough feedback to raise any flags at SOA. I did file a claim and my best advice to any of you is to try and listen to your engine at WOT and get your car to a dealer to have it documented. We've got to get the ball rolling because without a substantial number of reports, SOA will not do anything for us. Remember that the average car buyer will not be able to tell that their car is detonating because they don't know what to listen for. It's not always very audible. After the first time hearing it I've tried to listen to the engine for that specific sound and I can hear light detonation that I wouldn't have noticed before. Log onto www.turboxs.com and go to the bottom of the page under 2004 STi Tech Info 101. There should be a link to the sound of detonation there.

I went to the local dealership and scheduled an appointment on Wed. this week to have them check it out. I will also talk to their STi technician that day as well to see what he thinks since everyone else is clueless. If anyone needs some detonation related questions answered bring them up and I will try to ask the tech this wed.

Ken - I only go to gas stations that have high traffic. I always fill up with 93 premium at Exxon/Mobil.

Danno - The situation really is frustrating. I broke it in properly only tooo find out that there is a problem when I go WOT (wide open throttle - turbs :wink: ). Now I have one of the best AWD performance cars that I can't accelerate in for fear of further damaging the engine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
OMG... I can't believe this.. blueballs, they're STILL denying all knowledge after all the people that have been calling in?? What was the name of the rep you talked to? I've talked to 2 reps at 1800subaru3... one name was Petra, and the other was Dene.... did you talk to either of them? If you did, i'm making some more phone calls.

I hope sparks over at NASIOC knows what he's talking about and Subaru is going to announce something this week b/c this whole situation is quickly going downhill faster and faster

orthojoe

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Security System Interface Information

Well, I don't remember the name of the person I talked to. It was a female though. I will call again after I take it to the dealer and catch the person's name. For reference, here is my case number: 516481. If any of you call up to make a report and they deny any knowledge, give them my case number as proof that people have been calling in. If any of you have case numbers, maybe it would help to post them as proof to SOA that is it a real and common problem with the STi. (Next time when they deny knowledge you can say, well here are XXX case numbers from people who have the same problems. So now what!) Next time I call I will try and talk to someone higher up the chain then the customer reps. I doubt that they even know what the term detonation means. They probably serve the role of a secretary rather than someone who can really answer your questions and concerns.

Again I can probably understand why SOA is denying knowledge. They do not want to say anything until they get a substantial amt. of complaints and documentation from dealerships. I just hope people take action and to push SOA to take responsibility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here in Australia Subaru insist we use 98 RON fuel in the STi. Japan of course has 100 RON fuel. We have standard unleaded 91, premium 96, and Shell optimax / BP Ultimate / Mobil 8000 all 98 RON.

Michael

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here in Australia Subaru insist we use 98 RON fuel in the STi. Japan of course has 100 RON fuel. We have standard unleaded 91, premium 96, and Shell optimax / BP Ultimate / Mobil 8000 all 98 RON.

Michael

·
Registered
146 Posts
SubaruBen said:
While we are on the topic of abbreviations....what does WTLW mean?
Welcome
To
Last
Week

:wink:

·
Registered
373 Posts
OzSTi said:

Michael

98RON is equal to about 93OCT in NA, Rule of thumb is subtract 5 from RON to get NA OCT.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oddments Tray Cover

Okay, I brought it to the dealer and took their STi trained mechanic on a ride. I kept going WOT from about 3k to 5k and nothing was happening. In the back of my head I knew something like this would happen. After about 2 miles of driving, I finally got the car to detonate pretty consistently. One had to really listen though. He agreed with me and said it sounded like detonation. He said if they do anything, it'll probably be a reprogramming of the ECU. Well, I did my part and he called SOA to document it.

I left the car there overnight since I was getting an alarm system installed as well as an oil change. I will be by tomorrow and ask what SOA said in regards to the problem and I will call them up to follow up on it. :-?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our (Australian) fuel is pretty ordinary. There were a number of engine meltdowns in the first batch of STi's here, MY99 two doors, but that was before we had our 98 RON fuel.

What static compression is your standard WRX? With the change to the MY03 (MY04 for you) we went from 8:1 to 9:1. The new Legacy (Liberty here) will run a single turbo 9.5:1.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts