IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok boys and girls, time to let the manufacturer what you want in the means of a sub box. There are neverending options for enclosures but I need to narrow it down to more of what the masses desire.

First up we have a standard square box that sits on the trunk floor right under the rear deck. With its back pressed against the back seat. It might have the option to fire the sub through the ski hole. This can possibly be expanded width wise to accomodate (2) subs, or (3) 8" subs. A latching system for quick removal will accompany it as well as terminal cups with wire quick disconnects. Carpeted in matching fabric. This option is not the most glamorous but will be functional and cost effective.

Second up we have a spare tire mounted glass enclosure. This requires removal of the spare tire. The entire trunk floor will be raised by 1-2" to accomodate this enclosure. THis option will be as close to custom show quality as you can get for the price. The main issue arising is in regards to shipping costs. No sense in making an affordable enclosure that is unaffordable to ship. Bulk rates would most likely apply. This would be for a single 10,12, or(2) 8" subs. Carpeted or possibly vinyl on the enclosure face itself.

Third up we have a side mounted box. Construction is planned to be fiberglass as well. Designed to follow the contours of the driver side of the car. Similar to what you have on the passenger side that hides away the sprayer fill tank. The jack would need to be moved to on top of the spare tire since the box would obstruct it. Removal of this box design is more of a multi step process. No tasteful quick disconnect brackets have been through of yet. This, as the spare tire box, would be more along the lines of semi-permanent . This would be for a single sub woofer setup. This item will be around the same costs as the spare tire one.

If you have any other suggestions for sub enclosures please feel free to post in this thread. All enclosures will be designed with the installer in mind. Simple installations that anyone can accomplish with minimal hand tools.

Lastly, realistic price ranges are welcomed as well. That is, what would you be willing to spend on item 1, 2, or 3.

M

·
0 Posts
I say 3 definitely, I'd even buy one from ya if I wasn't just making my own, :)

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
#3 seems to be the favorite by far so far. I need to spend the weekend poking around in a wrx trunk trying to figure out a quick disconnect method that is strong.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Silver / Silver in Seattle, WA (Updated with PICTURES)

Both my friend and I are interested (option 3). We know someone that would do it locally for $230 or so (we think). My main concerns are weight and how much area it would take up. I would think weight won't be a big deal since it is just fg. Just out of curiosity, do you have an idea of how long it will be before you start shipping these?

-st

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm hoping to have them shipable by Xmas time. As for pricing I need to get my friend's wrx in the shop and make a plug and cross my fingers that the design is going to be simple enough to offer these in the $200-250max range. A solid wood one may be able to be made for a fraction of this price as well.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Innovative_Automotive said:
I'm hoping to have them shipable by Xmas time. As for pricing I need to get my friend's wrx in the shop and make a plug and cross my fingers that the design is going to be simple enough to offer these in the $200-250max range. A solid wood one may be able to be made for a fraction of this price as well.
That sounds great man, good luck with it! I look forward to the finished product.

-st

·
Registered
316 Posts
I had a 10" sub box built for my trunk, just a cube that fits up against the seat. $70 including carpet. It takes up 1/4 of the trunk with lots of empty space in front of it. How about a sub box that is angled in the front to tuck up against the back of the seats? It only needs to be 1.0-1.5 cubic feet and hold either a 10 or 12" sub. Similar to a pickup truck enclosure, long and narrow. The difference is that you want the sub firing towards the back of the car. That's why I can't use a truck box, they have the sub hole on the angled side. Should be really easy to make if you get the measurements right.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm very interested in option 3 for a single 10" or 12" - maybe a JL Audio W6v2. Let us know when they are available!

·
Registered
260 Posts
I voted for option 3, I like a side mounted woofer and keeping the spare. Sell it at a reasonable price and I'm in. No reason to go to a local audio store and have them fabricate a custom one if you're able to make the same thing in multiples and pass the savings onto us. Also would much rather give my $$$ to someone on this forum. Thanks.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think this option will be great to avoid any 'hot rodding' of your sti's as well at the local stereo shops ;)

We are off to SEMA, but will have more info to follow next week.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
new member, just saying hello.

I vote for number 3 also. If quality matches the alpine type R brackets you sold me, I will be purchasing this from you as soon as available. Make it light!

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Re: Rota wheel cracked. Yikes.

I vote for number 3 also. If quality matches the alpine type R brackets you sold me, I will be purchasing this from you as soon as available. Make it light!

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We just got back from Sema. This means that construction and plugs can get started on ASAP and be ready to deliever prior to Xmas. #3 is teh overall winner and the one that we will produce. A few teaser pics should be up in the next few weeks. A new post will be made for them.

·
Banned
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There will have to be multiple sizes of at least 10" and 12". I'm devising a universal box with rings that bolt in to allow you to run what ever size you want. That way if you ever want to up grade in size you just pop out your adapter ring and put in another one. No need to purchase a whole new box :D

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
TreyS, are you planning on removing your water bottle?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Can we preorder? Thanks!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts