IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, its happened several times now. Whenever I have a low-fuel light and I do not fill up completely, but instead put say, 10 litres in, I start the car again and the gauge does not go back up. It stays where it was, low fuel light and all, and I drive it for a while knowing I just put gas in it. As I drive, the gauge very very slowly goes up at what seems to be the same rate Im burning fuel, as if the gauge flipped upside-down. Anyone else see this?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Make sure that you crank the gas cap tight a couple turns AFTER it starts clicking. I had a similar faulty reading with my older WRX, but found that you need to tighten the cap beyond what I thought was enough.

Mark

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Faulty fuel gauge or bad sending unit from your fuel tank.....sometimes cars will do that when it's ultra cold outside. Regardless though, this is NOT something you should be experiencing with a new car. If it does it consistently, I would take it in and have it fixed. Nothing like being set on the side of the road with an empty tank of gas.....SUCKS!!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It first started happening when it was quite cold out, but it has since warmed up and the behavior isnt any different. I usually filled it right up so I didnt notice. It seems if I put in enough gas to get it to about half a tank, it acts as normal.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My STi does this as well, but I have found that it only occurs when I leave the key in the ignition while filling the gas tank. If I remove the key during the fill, then the gas gauge will jump to correct amount when the car is started.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ditto on Blitz NurspecR- Holy cr**!

well, service manager said subarus have horribly slow gauges and that this is normal? oh well, whatever

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I don't buy that for a second. Mine has never done anything less than a full and rapid sweep to the correct level. I'd have em replacing that baby....

Now...I have been having a problem with the filler clicking off, acting like it's full and then when I get inside, come to find out it really down around the 3/4 mark. I seen to have to fight in that last 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
85 Posts
svtinblack said:
My STi does this as well, but I have found that it only occurs when I leave the key in the ignition while filling the gas tank. If I remove the key during the fill, then the gas gauge will jump to correct amount when the car is started.

ditto here.

·
Registered
949 Posts
svtinblack said:
double ditto here

·
Registered
354 Posts
glad to see others having this prob..mine does same thing unless i pull the key out while refueling.if i refill while car is running it takes forever for the needle to adjust..

·
Registered
29 Posts
JDM downpipes

it's simply how the senders work. if you fill it up with the ignition on, it goes very slowly - i find that it doesn't appear to be moving, then next thing i know it's up high. i wonder if the sender just sends a gas level signal to the gauge every x amount of seconds, instead of a real-time value. if i have the car off, then get in after fill-up and turn it on, bang - straight up. when you start the car you're resetting the guages to whatever they're supposed to be. watch them the next time you turn the car on when it's warm; you'll get the sweep, then they'll bounce to their current readings.

·
Registered
52 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
Now...I have been having a problem with the filler clicking off, acting like it's full and then when I get inside, come to find out it really down around the 3/4 mark. I seen to have to fight in that last 1/4 tank.
I think this is a problem with the vent on the filler neck. If you ease off on the pump for the last couple of gallons you can get a full tank.

Mine will puke gas if I keep the pump going full blast.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
stiski said:
CloNeGTS said:
I think this is a problem with the vent on the filler neck. If you ease off on the pump for the last couple of gallons you can get a full tank.

Mine will puke gas if I keep the pump going full blast.
eeeeeerrrrr.....i hate it when that happens :x

1 - 14 of 14 Posts