IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a set of Volk TE37 (SL) for my 2012 STI and have a few questions for the wheel experts around here. Size wise I was looking at the 18x9 +45 (SL) or 18x9.5 +40 and I am finding conflicting information as to weather they will clear the front brakes without spacers, anyone know for sure?

I am ok with having to do a bit of roll on the back fenders but would prefer to avoid it. For tires I was looking at 265x35R18 either Continental ExtremeContact DW or Michelin Pilot Super Sport because they both review pretty well, seem to wear well, and are supposed to be quiet for this kind of tire at least. Any advice on the size or model would be appreciated.

As for the use the car is mostly a DD but I am planning a trip for some curvy roads later this year and a track day now and then. I like the look of the Volks and wanted a bit more rubber on the ground.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have been told by 'The Clap' and the distributor from Rays that the 18x9.5 +40 will clear the calipers without spacers. You will need some fender roll however. Those are the exact wheels I have coming so they better work! I also have Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 265/35/18 just waiting to be wrapped around those wheels. Size also recommended by 'The Clap'. If you go this route you should be good... but I'll let the experts tell you for sure.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been told by 'The Clap' and the distributor from Rays that the 18x9.5 +40 will clear the calipers without spacers. You will need some fender roll however. Those are the exact wheels I have coming so they better work! I also have Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 265/35/18 just waiting to be wrapped around those wheels. Size also recommended by 'The Clap'. If you go this route you should be good... but I'll let the experts tell you for sure.
Awesome, that is the wheel size I preferred out of the two. Who did you order them from?

·
I Solve Problems
18,254 Posts
the 18x9 +40mm and 18x9.5 +40mm aren't concave like the 18x10 +40mm.

If you're looking for that deep concave look you'll want to go 18x10 +40mm, you can make it work with a 265 after rolling the rear fenders.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
the 18x9 +40mm and 18x9.5 +40mm aren't concave like the 18x10 +40mm.

If you're looking for that deep concave look you'll want to go 18x10 +40mm, you can make it work with a 265 after rolling the rear fenders.
So the 9.5s aren't concave at all? What about if I go with the TE37SL, I heard that they were a bit more concave. Plus concave isnt a big issue for me, flush or just a bit concave is fine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you look at the Continental ExtremeContact DW? What made you go with the Michelins?

·
Registered
698 Posts
You need to get the 18x10+40 for a concave face. I had them on my 08 Sti with 275/35 no problem with a roll on the rear. Beautiful wheels!

·
Registered
355 Posts
The reviews for the Michelin's were consistently high. Thought I would give them a shot.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You need to get the 18x10+40 for a concave face. I had them on my 08 Sti with 275/35 no problem with a roll on the rear. Beautiful wheels!
Cool, thanks for the info. Were you on stock suspension? Do you know what your rear camber was/is?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The reviews for the Michelin's were consistently high. Thought I would give them a shot.
Same, I was just considering the other ones since people had mentioned them together and they are $150 cheaper a set with a bit better warranty.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
The michelin PSS is a far superior tire to the Continental.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They honestly don't compare. PSS is very quiet and grippy. It is amazing.
That is exactly what I am looking for. So even with stock suspension I am gonna just need a rear fender roll with the TE37SL 18x10 +40 and 265s? I think that is what I am settling on based off of everyone's feedback.

·
Registered
355 Posts
They honestly don't compare. PSS is very quiet and grippy. It is amazing.
Man, by the time I get my wheels it will be winter. Not sure if I can wait until next Spring to put these on!

1 - 20 of 119 Posts