IW STi Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Don't listen to me - I'm not a mechanic but - - - -

So rotors were not out of spec when cold. So if a pad isn't sticking then the first time you applied brakes they should be cold and you should be able to determine if they were warping at temp.

I wouldn't have skimmed em. They weren't out of spec and not likely the problem. It's not uncommon for people to have these kind of problems with many many cars. This isn't an or DBA thing. In this whole thread - and I just skimmed it, I didn't see what pads you were using or even if they were ever replaced. Did I miss this?
Well front rotors are DBA 4000 and EBC ultimax. Rear rotors are stock with EBC Ultimax.
Wheels are Michlen Pss3 with early 15 production almost dont 25k miles.

I will get everything check soon on the next service.

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
So it seems like DBA rotors are prone to warping?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DBAs are very popular here. I have two Subies with DBAs on em that we have been very happy with due to this, and its hasn't been a thing on this site since I've been here.

This car has low mileage, and was not tracked. I'd be blaming pads and/or bedding, and/or trying to determine it a particular wheels was the problem.

Following.

·
Registered
150 Posts
DBAs are very popular here. I have two Subies with DBAs on em that we have been very happy with due to this, and its hasn't been a thing on this site since I've been here.

This car has low mileage, and was not tracked. I'd be blaming pads and/or bedding, and/or trying to determine it a particular wheels was the problem.

Following.

Thanks. I guess it could be wheels but I had the same issue with my summer and winter wheels. I have project MU pads on the front and Hawk HPS on the rear. Could either of these be the problem or maybe mismatch pads be the problem?

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
I forgot to mention it feels like the caliper grabs and the let's go when braking. I'm guessing that's a warped rotor? If so, what steps should I take to correct this?

Their not warped...Just dirty

Rotor will build up brake pad material unevenly on the rotor over time. Natural wear and tear(especially hard braking then coming to a stop) but I got 50k out of my brakes before I couldn't deal with it anymore.

And you most defiantly have to put the brake pads through some heats cycles when bedding them in. Hard braking but never coming to a complete stop to allow the pad to cook into the rotor pretty much and leave material behind. They key is to get them hot and never stop moving till your done and the rotor and pads have semi cooled.

Take a temperature gun to each rotor afterwards if you have one to check for difference in friction force...im sure theirs better terminology for that...But that would let you know whether or not the calipers are applying even pressure between left and right sides.

Oh, and my first set of rotors were from brakeperforamce.com about 5-6 years ago. Came with free pads and they made it 50k miles. Just installed the same rotors a few months ago but slotted and drilled this time instead of slotted and dimpled. Came with free pads again but these are noticably not as good as the previous ones. They have an option to upgrade the pads but the free one do the do.

·
Premium Member
5,325 Posts
Thanks. I guess it could be wheels but I had the same issue with my summer and winter wheels. I have project MU pads on the front and Hawk HPS on the rear. Could either of these be the problem or maybe mismatch pads be the problem?

I don't know. I might have had a bedding issue with project mUs ? Seems I recall something similar to the above post, but it was years ago and whatever it was got resolved easily - and the pads are still on the STI 60k later.

·
Registered
186 Posts
another thing to check is the condition of the bushings on the control arms. I had pretty bad steering wheel vibration when braking recently. I later found out my rear LCA bushings were toast. After installing super pro control arms, my vibration went away completely.

·
Registered
150 Posts
another thing to check is the condition of the bushings on the control arms. I had pretty bad steering wheel vibration when braking recently. I later found out my rear LCA bushings were toast. After installing super pro control arms, my vibration went away completely.

I remember the last time I visited my shop they said my rear LCA's needed to be replaced sometime in the near future.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts