IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So,

I had Metlife, and I had a family member on that policy. Since that time, I no longer have anything to do with that family member. We don't speak and probably won't for a long time. I informed them that the family member was no longer living with me and they refused to take him off unless I had some sort of proof. They never made it clear what that proof needed to be.

I switched to GEICO to save money and of course never asked them to add this family member. After having my policy with them only several months I got a letter saying that they pulled some industry report showing I had this driver listed on my policy with Metlife and that they would be adding them to my policy unless I provided proof in 15 days.

I called them only a few days later and told them I had no way to provide proof, because the family and I are not on speaking terms and would no oblige to any requests I would make. I made it very clear it was also a very upsetting situation and they told me they were adding this family member by midnight (not the 15 days I was originally given).

Since then, I have done several things to have them change my policy. I sent them a notarized letter stating they did not have the permission to add the family member to my policy and went so far as to get the letter notarized.

THIS WAS NOT ACCEPTABLE TO GEICO.

I had to call them to find out they were continuing to refuse to make this change. I was suppose to get a call back and did not. They refused to let me talk directly to their under writing department and put me on hold for long periods of times and many of my phone calls were ignored.

This is the best part. I went to another insurance agency and the agent did a Merit Rating Inquiry to switch me to Commerce Insurance (I am in MASS). This gave the address listed for myself and the family member in question. WE HAVE DIFFERENT ADDRESSES.

So, I was BS and wrote another letter to GEICO and faxed it to them with this report from CollaberativeEdge. I called the next day and they once again refused to take the family member off the report.

The representative said to me that "anyone can go to the registry and say they live some where else" and that I should produce an electric bill or some other kind of proof that this relative no longer lives with me.

I asked for a supervisor and I was suppose to get a call back a week ago.

I am beside myself on this one. There is literally nothing I can do about this. This has become a huge stressful thing for me as this family member and I no longer speak and that family member has caused me huge problems.

I am extremely disappointed with how I have been treated and that they can do this with a notarized letter and REGISTRY proof of a different residence which they UNDOUBTEDLY have access to.

I don't know what else to do but go to the insurance commissioner.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I'm not an insurance pro, but why would they force you to have someone else on your policy? Why could you not add and remove people as you chose if it is YOUR policy and you are the policy holder?

This makes no sense to me... I used to be on my moms and then my sisters insurance. When they took me off there were no issues. Is it that the family member is not getting insurance on their own?

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is highly illegal. I suggest you have a lawyer send your agent a letter of warning.
Apparently, it is not but I am going very public with it. I hope GEICO likes that. I am going to post on every forum I can find. This has caused me emotional distress considering what this family member has done to me. They have cost me money and reputation so to be forced to pay their car insurance is VERY distressing to me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Insurance companies in Massachusetts sucks balls for real. I was paying $303 a month with only 1 speeding ticket on my driving record (2005 STi). Now, that I transferred to Commerce Insurance, they are only charging me $213 a month. Go with Commerce..

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
This doesn't make sense to me but I would just call around a switch policies to a different company. You will most likely get a lower rate anyway. I was with Geico 17 years and for no reason they raised my premium 25% so i left and went to Travelers and after a year they also raised my premium for no reason so I looked around again and the lowest rate was Geico so Im back with them! My point is if you dont like it, change. It will most likely be better for you.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
wtf...never heard of this. Sounds illegal to me, even if it isn't, it's incredibly sketchy and just doesn't make sense. I would immediately cancel my policy and go elsewhere. Good luck and I hope you get things sorted out soon.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you inform them that your contacting the BBB and will have a lawyer look into the legality of what the situation is for you I'll bet you get results. The only thing is you MUST follow through with the BBB at the very least. A letter from them shuts large corporations up very quickly as it is a huge blemish on their record. A letter from a lawyer on top of that will usually get results.

I had a war with American Family on this with my parents a few years ago. I moved and they pulled the same s*** on them that your going through. We ended up getting it fixed by switching companies and informing them upfront that I had moved and was no longer insured on their policy. Surprisingly GEICO was the company I switched to and State Farm is where they went.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I don't understand how this is even happening. it is completely optional for me to choose to insure other people that live at my residence, is it not optional for you/your state?

·
Registered
210 Posts
OP, I could see them doing that if that family member lived with you but if they dont...I don't see why you're obligated to have them still be on the policy.

I work in insurance but professional liability for lawyers.

I would call them again and ask one last time. Be sure to get names of whoever you speak to. Be sure to explain to them the situation in the simplest way possible. If they still refuse to do anything, tell them that you'll be contacting the insurance commissioner - they're fucked.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have called Geico at least 6 times to have this taken care of.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm stuck. Nothing I can do. Fuck you Geico.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
I still don't believe that this is legal. There should be an avenue you can take to get this resolved.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
dude..just cancel with them and go somewhere else. They can't force you to pay for someone you don't want on your insurance...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts