IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
anyone interested in a couple week old kenwood deck?

Really shouldn't be too terribly hard to do. Just a matter of checking that we either have the depth in the housing or the space behind to allow their remote unit to stick out the back. Otherwise, that's just the nature of rear view mirrors.....the first layer is see thru to the second mirror behind it, only it's very dim.

*Add to weekend project list* ;)

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Ahhh....one exception though.....if we have auto dimming mirrors, they aren't built this way....at least they shouldn't be.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you do end up doing this Rob, it almost goes without saying...please post pics :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
i dont get it... ive never had a problem with the V1 hanging on the windshield, and slightly below the rear view mirror.... on one ever tails me to leech off the V1... and if you do the stealth mirror thing, you still need the base module somewhere so the sensors are still looking front and back. Ideally, thats under the rear view since it has a good look at the front and back. if you put it above the rear view mirror, then your rear sensor is either blocked or range is cut short bc it doesnt have a clear shot at the rear.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yup, I was wondering these same things. Unless you took a V1 unit apart and remote mounted the sensors or something but then you are stuck using that V1 in only that vehicle.

·
Registered
424 Posts
wow that looks hot! if someone does it, i think they could get away from northern virginia police =[ any radars are illegal here

·
Registered
347 Posts
MKIVSupra said:
Yup, I was wondering these same things. Unless you took a V1 unit apart and remote mounted the sensors or something but then you are stuck using that V1 in only that vehicle.
I remember seeing something about this on Valentine's page. The two factors that make this difficult are 1) the height of the detector, and 2) the electronics that are used to determine direction. Most hidden units are mounted behind the grill, however the lower position results in less detection range. The direction feature seems to be based on timing (the difference in time between when a signal is detected on one direction sensor verses the other). If that is what the direction is based on, then the computer must know exactly how far apart the two sensors are. Because the V1 is not end-user programmable at that level, splitting the front and rear sensors would most likely result in the loss of directional function. Therefore it would be pointless to try and keep the directional sensors of splitting them up would render the directional capability useless.

Anyway, here's the page I saw. It doesn't go into any detail why it won't work; it just says it won't without F-15 prices. http://valentine1.com/lab/Previously1.asp

I don't know if Valentine would ever offer it, but it should be possible to manufacture a programmable two-part unit that would accomplish this purpose (without F1 prices). All you would need to do would be to let the computer know exactly how far apart the two units are placed. Unless Valentine does something like this, we'll most likely never see one sold, because if another company made a directional detector, Valentine would most certainly sue them.

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Only issue I've always had with mounting a detector that high up with the display visible is that it's pretty easy to see it at night from behind the car. Not something I've ever been keen on.

I like the Passport's Smartcord accessory. You plug it in for power (or hardwire it) and mount the detector where you need it. The Smartcord has its own display, and can easily be mounted where only the driver can see it. . . . like just below the speedo. ;)

I give a lot of credit to a great idea, though. Reminds me of the baller houses I've seen where there's a 9" or 13" TV behind the glass of the bathroom mirror in the master suite. When off, it's totally invisible. When on, you can watch the news while shaving or brushing your teeth. Nice to see someone took that idea to a new level and incorporated it into cars. :D

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
so i raced an M5 today...

Yukonart said:
Only issue I've always had with mounting a detector that high up with the display visible is that it's pretty easy to see it at night from behind the car. Not something I've ever been keen on.
I thought your windows are tinted? I know you can still see it through tint but it doesn't stick out nearly as bad.

Yukonart said:
I like the Passport's Smartcord accessory. You plug it in for power (or hardwire it) and mount the detector where you need it. The Smartcord has its own display, and can easily be mounted where only the driver can see it. . . . like just below the speedo. ;)
You mean like this... https://store.valentine1.com/store/products/20110ha.jpg

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Yes. . . even through tint a lot of interior lights can be seen at night. Guess it just depends on how bright they are to begin with. :D

Exactly. . . only you can get a hardwire version for the Passport, so your display isn't right over the power outlet. :p Glad to see V1 came out with a similar cord, though.

·
Registered
125 Posts
actually the only thing that is built into the mirror is the remote display. The main v1 unit can then be hidden and can be taken to other cars if needed.

Btw, this is the guy that actually makes the mod:

www.apexcone.com

·
Registered
614 Posts
I had a high-end local Speedshop that quoted me on doing this job. Apparently they'd need me to purchase the V1 and the remote display. Then, they'd take apart the actual V1, mount the "eye" on the rearview mirror (so that'd it would see equally far in front and back as if it were mounted normally), and run the wires to the actual V1 unit to someplace inconspicuous (i.e. glovebox). Then, they'd take the remote display, dismantle it, and etch the displays into the rearview, so that the lighting from the remote display would "shine" thru well enough to be visible. The shop told me it was close to 8hrs of labor (CT = 70/hr at this place) plus the cost of the V1 and the remote display. What'd I do? Bought a V1 direct, hardwired it myself from the instructions at ScoobyMods, and saved myself $5-600. Granted though, it DOES look cool......I just couldn't justify it. From what I understand there's another shop in Northern Jersey that does it as well. I figured it was a HUGE waste of cash just to drop the V1's display into your rearview. (mine is mounted above the rearview via V1's very own suction cup assembly)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts