IW STi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04 STi and UTEC...

question 1:
I got a new laptop recently, but it doesnt come with COM ports, so, I got one of those COM-->USB port adapters. And tried to connect the ECU/UTEC to the new laptop using hardware above... and no go! wondering if the UTEC must be used with com ports or is there any other drivers that I need or any procedures to set it up?

Question 2:
what about for the MPS UTEC logger? can it use USB or same as above?

Question 3:
Does any one have detail instructions on how to install the Map Selector. mine didn't come with instructions, and from the manual, only certain wires were shown where to connect...

THANKS soooooooooo much!

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
Answers:
1) Utecs are finiky creatures. I would make sure that the Serial -> USB adapter works, if it works, but not with the utec, then you might need another one.

2) I have no idea

3)The instructions on the map switch are in the main UTEC instructions. It should just plug in to the utec.

·
3,274 Posts
Like spaze said, the UTEC (and Tuna) can be weird with USB to Serial converters. You might have to try another cable to see if it works better.

As for the map selector it's pretty easy. Remove the carpet, kickplate, etc so you can see the UTEC. There is only 1 plug that will accept the map selector switch and only one way it will go on. Looking at the UTEC installed it's on the bottom left side if I remember correctly.

Since you have an 04 there is a nice blank right by the IC Spray Switch you can use to install the Map Selector.

1. Pull out the coin tray below. Pull down on it and then out and it will pop out.
2. Reach up and pop out the blank.
3. Remove 1 plastic screw on the side of the lower dash and 2 metal ones at the bottom (one near the dead petal and one near the gas petal)
4. Pull down and remove the lower part of the dash.
5. Now you can easily pop in the UTEC Map Selector and wire it from the dash over to the UTEC. It's a tight fit but there is just enough room to get the map selector cable through the center console area near the gas petal. Use some zipties to keep the cable up and out of the way.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hooked up the map switch like described above, I plugged it into the UTEC, there were also several wires left (4 or 5, can't remember exactly), which was suppost to connect to clutch switch and etc... those are the once I need instructions to...

thanks for all the replys, keep them coming!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts