IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Merry Christmas/Happy Hanukkah/Happy Holidays/Happy End Of Y

OK, I am now starting to see posts mentioning used STi's. I was wondering if anyone has purchased a used STi?

What are some things to consider or check into first?

Or just chime in your opinion.

(edit: bump, changed subject)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
bump!

·
Registered
759 Posts
STiWant1 said:
OK, I am now starting to see posts mentioning used STi's. I was wondering if anyone has purchased a used STi?

What are some things to consider or check into first?

Or just chime in your opinion.

(edit: bump, changed subject)
I have generally purchased used cars to avoid the massive depreciation as soon as I drive off the lot. I did not want to do that with this car. I was nervous that I would get one that was beaten up. I could see myself buying a used STi with 8-10K, putting on some mods, and then the engine goes south and the dealer claims that the mods destroyed the car.

What I would do if I were buying used.......
I would find out who owned the car before and speak with him/her. I would also check the oil { it gives you an idea of how the person or dealer treats the vehicles }. Drive it and decide if it is worth it. I would not buy a dealer demo. They get beaten severely.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, some good points. But here is my question, isn't the STi designed to take abuse? Is there something that someone could do to it in the course of the first 10000 miles that would eventually cause trouble? Lets face it, the car is designed to be driven hard and fast. Do you think driving it that way presents problems?

PS No mods planned here. mmm donuts...

·
Registered
586 Posts
I'm waiting to buy a used STi, the money saved will later be spent on go fast bits. :lol:

The STi seems to be a car with quite a few car enthusiastic owners who take very good care of their vehicles. :)

This car is not to be compared to the honda accord as utilitarian personal transport. People do not buy this car just to go to work and the store! 8) But that does mean a lot more wear for the miles than most cars.

This is also a car with a high enough collectible value that there are probably a decent number of STis out there just sitting a heated garage with 3 or 4 other new cars. :-? Those would be the ones to buy.

Just a few of my thoughts...

·
Registered
586 Posts
STiWant1 said:
But here is my question, isn't the STi designed to take abuse? Is there something that someone could do to it in the course of the first 10000 miles that would eventually cause trouble? Lets face it, the car is designed to be driven hard and fast. Do you think driving it that way presents problems?
Depends on how you define abuse, there are no cars in the world designed for my idea of abuse. Hard use, yes.

Those parts are going to fail eventually, whether it's driven hard or not. And personally, it makes more economic and performance sense to replace a dubious clutch (or other "suspicous part") with a quality aftermarket unit than to keep the stock unit not really knowing what state of repair it's in. The aftermarket is not just always for monstrous performance increases, it's also a viable alternative to OEM. (Not that that's really news...) ;)

·
Registered
154 Posts
I would do a lot of digging. Seems like there is ample opportunity to pick up a new STi at invoice...especially at this time of year. Also, SOA seems to be a real PIA when it comes to warranty work -- avoiding warranty work because of abuse. Not sure how this would play out with a used Subey. Unless you can get a really good deal, I would say spring for a new one selling at or below invoice if you find it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I can get one at invoice or near, but I am also considering one with 12K miles and a complete JL/Clarion audio setup.

I think I can get it around $26K-$27K

·
Registered
282 Posts
The STi is made to take some hard driving, but there's a lot of abuse that can occur when someone doesn't know how to drive well. Replacing the clutch would be very possible. If the person didn't know how to drive a manual, a few nice high rpm grinds could "loosen" some gear teeth. Unfortunately, performance cars tend to make the worst used cars (imho). If you buy a normal utilitarian car, chances are it hasn't been driven hard.

I'd be pretty impressed if someone were able to damage these motors in 10-12k miles, but you know the saying "nothing is idiotproof because idiots are so ingenious!" (someone has it in their sig)

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Other than the clutch and transmission, if the car hasn't been in an accident, there isn't too much they can do to hurt the car.....

Even break-in methods really seem to be pretty inconsequential. (As someone mentioned, if break-in made that much of a difference, they wouldn't be willing to offer long-term warranties under the risk that a poor break-in would ruin the engine... if that makes any sense.)

So if the clutch is still strong and the gears are smooth, it might be worth it.

Then again, if you're looking at 27k anyway, you might not be saving much. At 29k invoice, you're getting a lot of piece of mind of being the only owner/driver of the car for only 2k, which in my opinion isn't enough money to save on this car that's lost 12k miles of its life. That depends on how much the audio system that was put into the car is worth, I guess.

·
Registered
694 Posts
STiWant1 said:
But here is my question, isn't the STi designed to take abuse?
I've heard more than once from Subaru-related sources that the STi drivetrain is designed to last ~500k miles. In other words, unless someone kicks the living sh** out of the car, the rest of the car will wear out before the drivetrain does.

If you're not looking for a 500k-mile keeper, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. make sure it hasn't been in an accident, hit any curbs, overrevved excessively (tough one to check), or run without oil.

Personally, I think it sounds like a great deal. Get an extended warranty on it, from Subaru, and you'll have more peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
STiWant1 said:
OK, some good points. But here is my question, isn't the STi designed to take abuse? Is there something that someone could do to it in the course of the first 10000 miles that would eventually cause trouble? Lets face it, the car is designed to be driven hard and fast. Do you think driving it that way presents problems?

PS No mods planned here. mmm donuts...
The main things I would worry about:

(these are just the first that come to mind)

1. The idiot didn't brake-in the engine properly.
2. The idiot missed a bunch of shifts and did a lot of grinding.
3. The idiot shifted into 1st instead of 3rd or 3rd instead of 4th. Although if he really blew it, I would expect immediate damage - valve damage, etc.

-st

·
Registered
694 Posts
STiWant1 said:
1. The idiot didn't brake-in the engine properly.
2. The idiot missed a bunch of shifts and did a lot of grinding.
3. The idiot shifted into 1st instead of 3rd or 3rd instead of 4th. Although if he really blew it, I would expect immediate damage - valve damage, etc.
Exactly. FWIW, one of our local dealers had a used STi on the showroom floor - the guy had decided that he loved the car so much, he wanted to drive it more. But it couldn't haul anything ... so for practicality's sake, he swapped it for a Forester XT. It was VERY well cared for, though.

In other words, not all have been swapped after having been abused. I would guess that the majority of them were well-cared for, because the drivers planned on keeping them for a long time. Then they either swapped for something a little more practical (wives tend to do that to you sometimes), or they couldn't handle the financing.

Upshot: I think you're safe. Give the car a thorough once-over, though, as with any used car.

ZenBoy the Optimist

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
bitabur said:
Then again, if you're looking at 27k anyway, you might not be saving much. At 29k invoice, you're getting a lot of piece of mind of being the only owner/driver of the car for only 2k, which in my opinion isn't enough money to save on this car that's lost 12k miles of its life.
Agreed. I got mine for just over $29k. If you want a very basic stereo, you can get this car new and build your stereo for right around $30k.

·
Registered
694 Posts
*Drool*

Man, I paid straight MSRP for mine, because I was in a waiting list a mile long for one...! had I known I could have saved $1-2K by waiting another two months, I would have waited. Unofrtunately, one never knows what the market will do....

Ah, well, lesson learned. I've never paid more than $200 over invoice in the past, and I never will again.

...And I still love my car (which is the part that really counts).

I agree with RadarOnPaws and Bitabur - If you're going to pay $27k for a used one, just spring for the extra $2k and get a new one. Great for peace of mind! I do still recommend the extended warranty for even more peace of mind. I've yet to meet anyone who kept their car for a long time and didn't use their extended warranty at some point. Subarus may prove to be the exception, but you've got until the end of the factory bumper-to-bumper warranty to make up your mind. I only wish the extended warranty went to 10 yrs/100k miles!

'Course, saying that, I may end up wanting a new 400+ hp Subaru after 4 years of driving the STi, which would make it all a moot point.... ('Scuse me while I think out loud.)

ZenBoy the Indecisive

1 - 16 of 16 Posts