IW STi Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was out on a dark road on the way to the bar with some Friends to watch the Panthers beat Cowboys (Go Panthers!) I hit a pot hole with my front right tire (Passenger Side) I checked the tire and wheel and all looks normal. But the steering wheel shakes over 65 mph and is real bad at 80 mph. I assume its alignment but could it be anything else? Is there any thing else I could check before taking it in to Subaru or National Tire and Battery?

Help!
:roll:

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
If the hit was really hard, which it sounds like it, the wheel may be bent. Most bent are not visible to naked eye.

I hope all is good and its just the alignment.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Yeah, definitely look for a spot where there used to be a wheel weight but now isn't, but as mentioned, it could be a bent wheel or alignment. No choice really but to take it to a tire/wheel shop and get it checked out.

Sorry to hear it. :(

·
Registered
530 Posts
Yeah I hit a pothole really hard to, the funny thing was, I was taking it in for the alignment because it was pulling to the left. Well to say the least, I didn't end up going to the dealer!

·
Registered
586 Posts
It sounds a lot like you could have bent the inside lip of the rim. If that is the case, the simplest and cheapest fix is to rotate the wheel to the rear, your steering won't hardly shake anymore. This recently happened to a friend of mine. Get it checked as soon as you can.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And the verdict after getting and alignment and having a tire shop look at it

Bent Rim :mad: ........:furious:

Stupid cheap rota Wheels. Oh well, should be ordering a replacement on Monday, knowing my luck they are Back Ordered again. :confused:

Here is my question how common of a problem is this? Lets say I had my stock BBS wheels on would they have also gotten bent from this pot hole or is it because the Rota Wheels are cheap and made of Cheap Material? I am just worried about having to replace rims every pothole I hit.
17 Rota SDR (Gold)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Not sure how fast you were going but I've hit those metal plates they put over the road during construction at 35 - 40 mph, fast enough to catch a couple inches of air, and suffered no damage. One benefit of the BBS's, all else aside, is that I'm not real worried about bending the rims.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Rotas are not bad wheels, but they are not as strong as forged BBS. You won't ahve to replace Rotas unless you keep hitting really NASTy potholes at high speeds. Many Rotas survive very well here in Buffalo NY, pothole capitol of the world.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
wrxsti04 said:
And the verdict after getting and alignment and having a tire shop look at it

Bent Rim :mad: ........:furious:

Stupid cheap rota Wheels. Oh well, should be ordering a replacement on Monday, knowing my luck they are Back Ordered again. :confused:

Here is my question how common of a problem is this? Lets say I had my stock BBS wheels on would they have also gotten bent from this pot hole or is it because the Rota Wheels are cheap and made of Cheap Material? I am just worried about having to replace rims every pothole I hit.
17 Rota SDR (Gold)
Depends on the pothole.

-st

·
Registered
858 Posts
godspeed stage 1 PLUS- want to add Blitz-NurSpecR and portin

contact rota though...

they have shown excellent customer service before...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts