IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 sti
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my 2016sti six months ago and want to start upgrading. It had the Cobb af already installed and an aftermarket exhaust which I replaced with a remark stealth muffler delete. I have purchased the Cobb access port. I have also purchased a catch can and a recirculating bov neither have been installed yet. As this is my first ever vehicle I could modify any suggestions would be greatly helpful on what all to get for upgrades. Thank you

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you meant Cobb SF as in their intake then I'd install the AccessPort right away and flash the appropriate map, which should be Stage 1+ assuming you just have a catback and the rest is all stock. Or else you could be doing serious damage to the engine, esp if your going WOT a lot.

Which recirculating BOV did you get, and why? The stock unit is usually all you'll ever need. If I were to upgrade I'd go with something functionally different and improved than stock, like the HKS SSQV or Greddy Type FV.

·
Registered
2016 sti
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you meant Cobb SF as in their intake then I'd install the AccessPort right away and flash the appropriate map, which should be Stage 1+ assuming you just have a catback and the rest is all stock. Or else you could be doing serious damage to the engine, esp if your going WOT a lot.

Which recirculating BOV did you get, and why? The stock unit is usually all you'll ever need. If I were to upgrade I'd go with something functionally different and improved than stock, like the HKS SSQV or Greddy Type FV.
Yes it is the Cobb. And I got the Perrin recirculating valve. I just went in and did a bunch of reading on reviews and what other people have gotten and I seen recirculating was the way to go. And from what I’ve seen is everything is stock I just installed axelback exhaust. I baby it so I’m not doing much wot I have once to see what it had

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yes it is the Cobb. And I got the Perrin recirculating valve. I just went in and did a bunch of reading on reviews and what other people have gotten and I seen recirculating was the way to go. And from what I’ve seen is everything is stock I just installed axelback exhaust. I baby it so I’m not doing much wot I have once to see what it had
I think he means why did you buy a bypass valve in the first place. If you did read you’d know that on a stock turbo setup a stock bypass valve is more than sufficient. Heck it was good on my 20g until I decided to go to 25psi.

·
Registered
2016 sti
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think he means why did you buy a bypass valve in the first place. If you did read you’d know that on a stock turbo setup a stock bypass valve is more than sufficient. Heck it was good on my 20g until I decided to go to 25psi.
Yea I plan to upgrade turbo. I’m wanting to do a complete overhaul of everything.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Yea I plan to upgrade turbo. I’m wanting to do a complete overhaul of everything.
Then unless you’re aiming for over 500whp, you should stick with the stock bov. It holds plenty. Amd the budget to overhaul “everything” will likely be in the 45k+ range.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
181 Posts
Youre sounding too ambitious without proper research and experience. It will end extremely poorly for you if you do not understand what youre trying to. I understand it is very exciting to start modifying your car/build but slooooww down there! Proper research is the way to go. Cut once, measure twice.

I strongly suggest you research and plan your build or you would be wasting a lot of effort, time and money making mistakes.

For instance, why would you use your money to buy a Perrin recirculating BPV when the stock OEM works well up to about 20-24psi? You said you never/rarely WOT so you wouldnt get max boost so you wouldnt even come close to 20psi. If you wanted better drivability. Why not invest in suspension, wheels, or struts?

If youre looking for modifications, I highly recommend going for good quality coilovers as the first choice. No use in any amount of power if you cant put the power to the ground or control it.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
181 Posts
I think you may be misunderstanding something or missing information. The stock oem STI BPV is a recirculating bypass valve (BPV). It is true you should stick with a recirculating and not get an aftermarket BOV (blow off valve).

·
Registered
878 Posts
Youre sounding too ambitious without proper research and experience. It will end extremely poorly for you if you do not understand what youre trying to. I understand it is very exciting to start modifying your car/build but slooooww down there! Proper research is the way to go. Cut once, measure twice.

I strongly suggest you research and plan your build or you would be wasting a lot of effort, time and money making mistakes.

For instance, why would you use your money to buy a Perrin recirculating BPV when the stock OEM works well up to about 20-24psi? You said you never/rarely WOT so you wouldnt get max boost so you wouldnt even come close to 20psi. If you wanted better drivability. Why not invest in suspension, wheels, or struts?

If youre looking for modifications, I highly recommend going for good quality coilovers as the first choice. No use in any amount of power if you cant put the power to the ground or control it.
^^that. that's what i should have said haha.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
503 Posts
Also, not a good idea to upgrade the turbo on a stock motor.
The 16' engine isn't like the 18+ RA block, so it really doesn't like a bigger turbo.
Can you do it? Sure.
How big can you go? Aside from the stock turbo being the best idea, I wouldn't go bigger than a 20g unless you intend to build the block.
How long will it last? It's really a mystery... could be a day, could be 5 years, just depends on luck of the draw and how you care for the car.
Even with the 20g I wouldn't plan on running that for a long time without plans to build the bottom end in the near future.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts