41 - 60 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ok sweet I think I'm trying to hear something that really isn't there.. Lol

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your getting detonation and you can hear it, your probably screwed already. If you know any mechanics who have a.......cant remember the name lol, but its a camera scope that you can use to see inside your cylinders. If your knocking, you will probably have little divets on the pistons.

borescope ?

·
Registered
337 Posts
24 psi is risky on any fuel, all E85 does is raise your detonation threshold, making it less likely to knock. Ive seen plenty of motors go on E85, safer yes, but in the end, its build the motor or keep rolling the dice.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Oh I agree, it's a lot for the stock turbo, and it's still going to blow up at some point. Also though, it's not necessarily boost levels that destroy things, it's horsepower and heat. I was only making 330/440 at that time. Bottom line is, upgrading a stock turbo or using e85 with the stock turbo is a gamble on the stock block.

·
Registered
697 Posts
I dont give a **** what you are, you obviously have zero experience on the subject and are reciting crap that you read. I speak from first hand experience only. PLease tell me your experience with cars over 400whp on stock block, and dont say this shop or that shop, I want personal experience. As I said before "engineer" when you let crap like this spill out of your mouth with such confidence, people actually believe it.
lol garbage...i dont need to prove anything like i said you already lost your credibility AND you contradicted yourself in a previous statement. if you were so smart you wouldnt be enlisted and taking stabs at my knowledge base.

people at AMR have THE MOST experience compared to 99% and dare i say 100% of people that roam this forum so im pretty sure when they make this claim PUBLICLY they know what they are talking about.

with my engineering and calibration experience combined with engine tuning experience and knowledge I can already tell you a properly tuned engine will NEVER blow up, NEVER break a ringland, and NEVER snap a rod given the appropriate conditions.

so get out of my face. you might want to give a "****" about what i am because obviously your pure ignorance and lack of tolerance got the best of you in this quote.

oh and dchee we've been over this before. i dont need to prove anything. when i put info out there its correct 98% of the time. so no need to back it up. if you doubt me then do the research. the other 2 percent contributes to true BUT possible lack of information or even an educated guess i have to put out there when the OP sucks...

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
That doesn't make sense. You're right 98% of the time but you don't have any instances where 100% of the greatly tuned cars don't blow up. We're not arguing that a great tune prevents this, buy your statement is completely falsified. There is absolutely no evidence that a vehicle absolutely will not blow up, drive like stock, and obtain the same gas mileage with a larger turbo, bigger injectors, and supporting mods with a great tune. Sure there is a chance it will last forever, but it's not guaranteed that it will happen. As far as gas mileage goes come on man you said it your self, you are an engineer, so you should know that the larger turbos are going to using more air and more fuel than the smaller turbos at the same rpm.

Please provide evidence that 510whp will drive like stock, get the same gas mileage, and not blow up with a great tune. A great tune helps but only to a certain extent. If you feel that you are that smart and you do not need to provide evidence then I look forward to your build journal highlighting the 510whp on a stock block.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
lol garbage...i dont need to prove anything like i said you already lost your credibility AND you contradicted yourself in a previous statement. if you were so smart you wouldnt be enlisted and taking stabs at my knowledge base.

people at AMR have THE MOST experience compared to 99% and dare i say 100% of people that roam this forum so im pretty sure when they make this claim PUBLICLY they know what they are talking about.

with my engineering and calibration experience combined with engine tuning experience and knowledge I can already tell you a properly tuned engine will NEVER blow up, NEVER break a ringland, and NEVER snap a rod given the appropriate conditions.

so get out of my face. you might want to give a "****" about what i am because obviously your pure ignorance and lack of tolerance got the best of you in this quote.

oh and dchee we've been over this before. i dont need to prove anything. when i put info out there its correct 98% of the time. so no need to back it up. if you doubt me then do the research. the other 2 percent contributes to true BUT possible lack of information or even an educated guess i have to put out there when the OP sucks...
It's guys like you that make guys like me not want to contribute.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I think we are at the point were fuji needs to PROVE IT!!!

I completely agree with army, dchee, and GA! You need to provide substantial evidence to back up your statements.

And finally...dont take stabs at armys choice to be a member of the worlds most powerful joint total enlisted force! We are proud and faithful to one another. And there are plenty of extremely intelligent and degree proven individuals that make up our enlisted core.

So fuji back your words up or shut it up.

·
Registered
398 Posts
The evidence is completely contradictory to FUJI's claim. The evidence lies in the people that have chimed in to contribute to this thread. If you haven't blown a motor on a larger turbo with these cars, I'm sure you have a close friend that has. There's no guarantee with any aspect of any car, and the concept that gas mileage isn't affected, please. I went from a stock vf39 to a blouch dom 3r and my gas efficiency took a nose dive. Hence buying a daily driver, 88 subaru GL. Get your facts right man and think twice about droppin insults to a serviceman.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts
The evidence is completely contradictory to FUJI's claim. The evidence lies in the people that have chimed in to contribute to this thread. If you haven't blown a motor on a larger turbo with these cars, I'm sure you have a close friend that has. There's no guarantee with any aspect of any car, and the concept that gas mileage isn't affected, please. I went from a stock vf39 to a blouch dom 3r and my gas efficiency took a nose dive. Hence buying a daily driver, 88 subaru GL. Get your facts right man and think twice about droppin insults to a serviceman.
But he's right 98% of the time and is an engineer :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
That's on E85 not pump gas. It's high but with the right fuel it works. You couldn't do it on pump has. It was also tuned by a highly reputable tuner who is all over this board.
24psi is so far out of the vf39's efficiency range it's not even funny. You're just blowing hot air and adding to the already horrible heat problems the ej257 exhibits. People just get too carried away with the boost and a little extra torque. You're going to pick up very little horsepower by pushing the boost past ~21psi on a vf39, e85 or not. No offense, but if it "works" then you wouldn't have a blown motor. 24psi on the vf39 is ludicrous unless you're going for a stock turbo record and plan on a built motor in the near future. Knock breaks ringlands and pushing 24psi on a vf is just begging for knock.

·
Under Moderated
3,058 Posts

And I can have all no-wipe poops...given the appropriate conditions.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I'm gonna be converting to full E85 within a few weeks. I'm running stock vf48 and stock internals. I will be somewhat conservative due to the lower gas mileage, (so I say) Then again, I know the risks of modifying anything. $h!t happens. lol... I'm in good hands though, my tuner alway has me send him logs.

·
Registered
398 Posts
"No wipe poops" are the best. There's gotta be a stealth name for em. Just want to thank Fuji for the entertainment with the ridiculous posts.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
24psi is so far out of the vf39's efficiency range it's not even funny. You're just blowing hot air and adding to the already horrible heat problems the ej257 exhibits. People just get too carried away with the boost and a little extra torque. You're going to pick up very little horsepower by pushing the boost past ~21psi on a vf39, e85 or not. No offense, but if it "works" then you wouldn't have a blown motor. 24psi on the vf39 is ludicrous unless you're going for a stock turbo record and plan on a built motor in the near future. Knock breaks ringlands and pushing 24psi on a vf is just begging for knock.
I was gaining a lot of torque with each pound of boost he added, and the "he" I speak of is Scott Siegal, definitely not known for his radical tunes that are pushed to the limits. I realize I wasn't gaining much HP with each increase in psi, but the torque was going up a lot for sure.

I'm not saying it's a great idea, and it didn't work out all that well for me, but it is a way to get a lot of torque out of the stock turbo, albeit not terribly efficiently or safely. Based on my car's history I might have had ringland problems when I bought the thing, ya just never know unless you've owned it since new and had frequent checks.

41 - 60 of 290 Posts