IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow ... other then the fact that Im pissed at the people who put them on (they gave me the new guy, OF COURSE and now my wheels are all banged up... grrr) anyways... they feel GREAT. Handling seems improved, RIDE COMFORT AND NOISE GREATLY improved... dramatically improved. Its like a whole new car. The car doesnt feel like its driving on rocks anymore. Fit was perfect and it looks very aggressive and Im pleased with the quality, price, etc of the Kuhmo Ecsta MX tires. Handling is great as well... I havent really tried it out (as I was getting synthetic put in it and all), but it seemed to respond a lot faster. Anyways. Great tires if you're interested. $127 each from tire rack and have the same ratings as a lot of the $200+ performance tires an seem to be really good in the rain (from when I had them on the M before I sold it).

Robert~

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Do they extend out beyond the top of the fender well? That was my only concern. I don't want my car to look like one of those pimp mobiles with the tires extending beyond the car. :D

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
extend out? wouldnt that only happen if you got spacers or something? They MAYBE come 1cm over the side of the wheel, (just kinda like flab) but nothing you'd notice (as I dont even think it does), but it would protect you from curb rash and such. They look like normal stock tires (other then being wider) as they dont stick out much and such. Maybe 245/45 would be different, but these look fine. I'll grab pics soon... IM LOVING the traction. No tire squeal EVER

Robert~

·
Registered
133 Posts
tires dont extend out on their own. they only extend out on the type of rims you have. or, if you have spacers or such. remember that these are stock STI BBS rims, not some low rider blinged out rims that will extend out.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Sweet, looking forward to those pics. I was planning on upgrading to 235's or 245's. I am glad someone has and had success doing so.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am trying to get pics. I finally took them yesterday but my stupid computer wouldnt upload the pics. I got 4 of them up (pic of intake and catch can in other thread). I will try getting the rest up again today.

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
105 Posts
A few questions if I may:

Do you have rear pic showing both tires? I'd like to see how much wider they look. Couldn't tell in the side-by-side you so graciously provided.

Are they the same height as stock?

You mentioned that it made a huge difference in the ride. So did it smooth it out? It's not so rough anymore across joists or irregularities (potholes!!) in the road?

If it is smoother, what air pressure do you run the new tires at? Less than 38 PSI? I personnally think that has a lot to do with the ride being so stiff, as I can remember pumping up my Kumhos on my old WRX prior to a SoloII event and getting beat to death on the roads. At normal pressures, they were much softer on the suspension.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1) I can try to get more pics for you in the sun... even up close its hard to see how much wider these tires are (as they are already on the car and getting both wheels lined up to show this is a pain). It is wider though (as you can tell as the wheel hangs over just a little).

2) these are 40 profile. So 5 less then stock (245/40ZR 17 vs 225/45 R 17). I dropped to a 40 only because of the EDIT:Speedo (not odo) being more accurate then if i was to go to 245/45

3) It smoothed it out a LOT. You still feel the road (which is good to me) but its not near as bad. I have the psi set to the vehicle's specs (36 in front and 30 in rear).

Hope this helps!

Robert~

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Re: High Performance All-season Tires

staticx313 said:
Wow ... other then the fact that Im pissed at the people who put them on (they gave me the new guy, OF COURSE and now my wheels are all banged up... grrr) anyways... they feel GREAT. Handling seems improved, RIDE COMFORT AND NOISE GREATLY improved... dramatically improved. Its like a whole new car. The car doesnt feel like its driving on rocks anymore. Fit was perfect and it looks very aggressive and Im pleased with the quality, price, etc of the Kuhmo Ecsta MX tires. Handling is great as well... I havent really tried it out (as I was getting synthetic put in it and all), but it seemed to respond a lot faster. Anyways. Great tires if you're interested. $127 each from tire rack and have the same ratings as a lot of the $200+ performance tires an seem to be really good in the rain (from when I had them on the M before I sold it).

Robert~
Wow, those are huge. I had 235/45-17s on my A6 and they were awesome. Soooo much grip in the dry AND the wet. Just watch out for deep puddles. That is a much bigger foot print and those tires have poor hydroplanning resistance. The car might pick up on you a bit now.

-st

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
munky69 said:
any rubbing on hard turns?
heck no :) many people have autocrossed with this size of tires and have had 0 rubbing... now with 255 ((EDIT)) you might have a problem with serious autoX, but danno will confirm this for us. Also to further update my review, it stormed for once tonight and holy crap this thing will STICK to the road. Never once (yes I boosted it a couple times, without traffic, to check how well these things would hold up) did it spin out or fish tail or give the slightest hint of hydroplaning or anything. Very nice tires, especially for the price!

Robert~

·
Registered
29 Posts
Robert,
Why do you say the 255's will rub, have you tried them or know anyone who has? I have a set of 255/40 kumho victoracers and the fit with stock wheels no problem. :roll:

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
whats with the rolly eyes? - gu, I was told in other threads that they had rubbing(or thought they would get rubbing) with 255s, under hard cornering. If they work for you, then great

Robert~

·
Registered
29 Posts
Robert,
Sorry for the rolly eyes :D I was concerned that you may be giving out some incorrect information. I was not aware of anyone else actually trying the 255's yet. Ive driven them pretty hard and no rubbing so far, but have not actually autocrossed on them yet. Actually looks like there's a fair amount of clearance. :D

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well tahts good and thank you for your review, I might step it up another 10 mm all around then if you do good in the autoX. Good luck and keep us updated. I will correct myself in previous posts.

Robert~

also it was nothing against you, I just hate that smiley as it seems everyone uses it whenever they seem to be correct over another person and its just a pet peeve of mine ;) just ignore me when it comes to that kinda stuff.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts