IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd thing happened with my Sti. I was dealing with my dealer on it at msrp and I recently found the sticker from Subaru that goes on the window. I was making deals with them at the price of $31K and I found that its sticker was $32,300. It had added to it the turbo gauge, auto-dimming rear window and "upgraded security package". Anyone know what this security package really does? What’s different between my security system and a non"upgraded" version? Its not like its any good.. if you open the doors, it honks.. ug...

Other then hitting the unlock button and getting beeps? What can really be different?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was wondering that same thing - I've got the upgraded security system too. I can only assume that the "upgrade" is some sort of shock sensors in case a window is broken or maybe the hood opened as well. Can't be much else

OT, but I wish there was an automatic trunk open button as well

·
Registered
75 Posts
the subaru security upgrade is an addon to the keyless entry system. it
comes with a starter kill relay, security horn and integrated shock
sensor on the security module itself.

the lock/unlock beeps/chirps etc is controlled by the keyless entry
module itself.

netZ

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
And in all......it's pretty worthless. There's a post on NASIOC from someone with the factory security system....they jacked his headlights and system without the alarm ever going off.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I would argue that it is better than nothing. Having one gets me one more discount on my insurance and thus will eventually pay for itself.
Was almost talked into LoJack, but checked with my insurance company first and they do not provide discounts for stolen car locating/recovery systems, but DO provide discounts for anti-theft (starter kill) systems.

I got one, but realize it is not going to prevent anyone from taking it if they want. In fact, I did not buy a Porsche turbo cab because I did not want the headache of wondering WHEN it was going to be jacked.

Opal

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well I know that anti-theft (starter kill) really does work. I left my stupid remote at home. And I drove to school. I realized i didn't bring it so i hit the lock button inside the car then slammed the door shut (BIG MISTAKE) the car locked up and chirped. Well when I came back I stuck the key in the door and unlocked it. The alarm went off. I tried to start the car with the master key the car wouldn't start. the gauges lit up but the car didn't start. So I guess They can't make off with most of the car. So would you rather loose your system and headlights or your whole car?

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
well, I also got the 'upgraded' security system and it works fantastic!! My STi hasn't been stolen or vandalized yet! Of course I don't live in Jersey either like that guy on NASIOC...

·
Registered
75 Posts
while the upgraded alarm is going off, turn your ignition on and off 3
times and the alarm will shut off.

a thief can still push start a manual transmission since the starter
kill only protects the starter not the fuel/ignition systems.

netZ

LaZy4zNbOi said:
Well I know that anti-theft (starter kill) really does work. I left my stupid remote at home. And I drove to school. I realized i didn't bring it so i hit the lock button inside the car then slammed the door shut (BIG MISTAKE) the car locked up and chirped. Well when I came back I stuck the key in the door and unlocked it. The alarm went off. I tried to start the car with the master key the car wouldn't start. the gauges lit up but the car didn't start. So I guess They can't make off with most of the car. So would you rather loose your system and headlights or your whole car?

·
Registered
219 Posts
That's why I'm going an alarm and the Ravelco (www.ravelco.com).

Ravelco breaks the connection to the fuel pump, starter, ECU and/or any other circuits you desire. Almost nothing works on the car w/out the ravelco key. And it takes a few hours, to unwire one. So, they can't drive it away, period.

·
Registered
2 Posts
CloNeGTS said:
And in all......it's pretty worthless. There's a post on NASIOC from someone with the factory security system....they jacked his headlights and system without the alarm ever going off.
As far as the headlight jacking goes. After hearing about this, I took my car back to the shop that installed my stereo system. I had my installer find the wire that trips the security panic as if the trunk is opened. He spliced into that wire at the security module and ran it to a new pin switch installed under the hood. This way, even if the thieves break your window with some porcelain from a spark plug very quietly so that they don't trip your shock sensor and pop the hood without opening your door, again not tripping your alarm, as soon as the hood is opened, the alarm goes off as if your trunk was opened. Hopefully, this would discourage them from continuing.

·
Registered
344 Posts
have you done this yet? how much is/was the ravelco. that brother getting his car stolen in canada has got me thinkin'.
what's this about ? Did someone up here in Canada have their STi stolen that I should know about ? I saw a magazine article the other day that said the <normal> WRX is in the top 10 list of cars being stolen but has the highest per theft average claim -- a reflection on the fact that they DON'T find them after they're gone. Can you say "chop shop" ?

-Sporty

·
Registered
8 Posts
People always told me to install a simple fuel cut off switch. They can start the car but not get very far in it because the gas relay is stopped. Also to hide the brain of a aftermarket alarm under the seats and add more hornes in the trunk and under the car in case they cut the wire to 1 of them. It just sucks that people are a$$h()les and cant bare to see someone else own something nice and have to steal it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts