IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was looking for more light output while using the stock fog area. I went with HID retrofitted Hella Micro DE's. My brother in law helped with a lot of the cutting.
He followed this post in HIDPlanet for the HID retrofit portion.
Ultimate {Hella MICRO DE} FOG Upgrade: Halogen to HID (56k big no no))

Modified the stock bracket and used the Hella mount to attach the micro DE

Hella micro DE retrofit 2013 WRX by BiGGiE_Q, on Flickr

Finished product after cutting and mounting

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The bumper needed to be cut a little to fit the bracket.

Marked up for cutting

after cutting

Mounted and bolted, it's a bit small, going to find something to fill the area.

3000K HID kit installed

Light output photos

Low beam only

IMG_3953 by BiGGiE_Q, on Flickr

With fogs

IMG_3954 by BiGGiE_Q, on Flickr

Lows again

IMG_3960 by BiGGiE_Q, on Flickr

with fogs

IMG_3956 by BiGGiE_Q, on Flickr

Fun shots

IMG_3958 by BiGGiE_Q, on Flickr

IMG_3957 by BiGGiE_Q, on Flickr

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the plug and play HID kit in stock fogs. Light output was nothing to write home about. So I went with projectors that produced better light.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
OP, I hope you at least read Markus's post in the thread you linked. The problem is that the halogen Micro DE kit are foglights, and you just made them useless for their intended purpose. You cannot use HIDs in foglights because you don't want too much light projecting out as it will hurt your incremental vision. Even your 3,000ks don't make it work that well.

Because I'm tired of typing out time and time again I'm just going to copy paste what Markus said:

I'm not against HID at all. I see nothing wrong in retrofitting good (OEM) projector headlights. In fact I encourage it. What I don't like and what I'm very against is using HID bulbs in halogen lights. I've never ever come across a HID bulb in a halogen fog light or low beam headlight that actually improves driver vision. Many, if not all, of these setups simply fool the driver into thinking they've improved their vision. Tests have shown time and time again that most people equate an increase in foreground light with having improved their vision even when it's clear that their long distance vision is impacted.
What he's saying is that you now have more light in the immediate in front of the car, which gives you the false illusion of better lighting. Good low beam optics send much more light right at the cut off than anywhere else in the beam because as distance increases the amount of light needed to light that far away up multiplies several fold. Not only are foglights not aimed as far as low beams, but if you look at the picture in your thread against the house, you see it has a pretty consistent beam all the way to the cut-off. If you actually wanted better night vision, you'd be getting better low beam optics that send light where it really matters, down the road, not right in in front of the car.

The HID version of the Micro DE kit are driving lamps, which are project a longer, narrower beam than fogs and aren't supposed to be used in the presence of other cars. They are essentially high beams on steroids. I have 100w Prodrive driving lights on my car and can light up most of a football field.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did this more for aesthetics and to upgrade the stock subaru fog lights. I understand driving lights are better and throw light farther. Fog lights are supposed to throw short wide range of light. I have a quad bi-xenon setup, both are HID projector housings. Not retrofitted halogen housings.

I was also looking at getting a lightbar and attaching my hella 500FF black magic driving lights for my winter/camping setup. These have not been retrofitted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
OP, I hope you at least read Markus's post in the thread you linked. The problem is that the halogen Micro DE kit are foglights, and you just made them useless for their intended purpose. You cannot use HIDs in foglights because you don't want too much light projecting out as it will hurt your incremental vision. Even your 3,000ks don't make it work that well.

Because I'm tired of typing out time and time again I'm just going to copy paste what Markus said:

What he's saying is that you now have more light in the immediate in front of the car, which gives you the false illusion of better lighting. Good low beam optics send much more light right at the cut off than anywhere else in the beam because as distance increases the amount of light needed to light that far away up multiplies several fold. Not only are foglights not aimed as far as low beams, but if you look at the picture in your thread against the house, you see it has a pretty consistent beam all the way to the cut-off. If you actually wanted better night vision, you'd be getting better low beam optics that send light where it really matters, down the road, not right in in front of the car.

The HID version of the Micro DE kit are driving lamps, which are project a longer, narrower beam than fogs and aren't supposed to be used in the presence of other cars. They are essentially high beams on steroids. I have 100w Prodrive driving lights on my car and can light up most of a football field.

So what you are saying is these would be good as driving lights, but not fog lamps? Or you are saying they aren't good for either?

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
So what you are saying is these would be good as driving lights, but not fog lamps? Or you are saying they aren't good for either?
I'm saying that HIDs are fine in driving lamps (which again cannot be used in the presence of other cars). However he used fog lamp optics, which don't help with anything other than bad weather driving as they are very wide beam and incredibly short range. By installing HIDs in them he's completely negated their intended use. He installed them thinking they were auxiliary lighting (which are longer range and intended to compliment the low beams), and they aren't. If he wanted improved night time every day driving he chose the wrong optics.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I never intended the fogs to be driving lights. They're called fog lights for a reason. I basically wanted something better than the stock fog lights; which is what I got by changing to these. I also showed people how to fit them onto their car with some modifications to stock parts. In the end it's their choice to either leave it stock or put HID bulbs in it for some aesthetics.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I never intended the fogs to be driving lights. They're called fog lights for a reason. I basically wanted something better than the stock fog lights; which is what I got by changing to these. .
I know. You were intending them to be auxiliary lighting, which they are not. As fog lights, you've made them worse than stock. If you had installed halogen bulbs, they would have been an improvement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I know. You were intending them to be auxiliary lighting, which they are not. As fog lights, you've made them worse than stock. If you had installed halogen bulbs, they would have been an improvement.
I was intending them to be an aesthetic mod, which they are now. Also, to me they are an upgrade over stock as well. I'm not going to disagree that keeping the micro DE's stock would be better. It was built for a halogen bulb. In the end it's my car though, and to me they are an upgrade.

·
Registered
36 Posts
In the end, its the owner's choice. No need to hate like you're the one who will be the oncoming car to his headlights every night. RELAX!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just a FYI to forum, Per HellaUSA webpage there are two different versions of micro DE which both have a different lighting pattern.
-Micro DE Xenon Kit (008390801) is a driving light
-Micro DE Fog Lamp Kit (H13090611).

·
Registered
36 Posts
What are you talking about? :confused: Learn the difference between hating on and informing. :rolleyes:
Well you made you point like on how many posts now and its not gonna change the fact that the owner is still loving his "upgrade" lights. So just relax. This thread was created as a reference to whoever wants to mod their stock fog lights and I know you mean well when you're "informing" everyone here. But like I said, in the end. Its all up to the owner. If its up to me. I'd do the same thing as the OP just because I can. LOL! That daniel stern lighting links seem to always pops up whenever there's a topic about headlights.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just a FYI to forum, Per HellaUSA webpage there are two different versions of micro DE which both have a different lighting pattern.
-Micro DE Xenon Kit (008390801) is a driving light
-Micro DE Fog Lamp Kit (H13090611).
As another FYI, Micro DE Xenon is $600. My Micro DE was $60 before shipping. Fitting the Xenon micro DE in the fog lamp area would be a waste because it is a driving light, it needs to sit higher than the fog position.

@brfatal I understand you want to inform people, but you also kept saying that I had no idea what I was doing and argued with me when I stated I wanted aesthetics when I did the HID. To me it's an upgrade, don't say I don't know what I'm doing. You don't know me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts