IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
Re: **Updated** Planning a turbo build? This is roughly what it will cost you.

my dom 3 xtr upgrade came in at 5k almost to the button.

not including labor, but adding back cash recovered on parts sold.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

This really should be a sticky thread.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #84

^I PM'ed asking for the thread to be stickied. We'll see if it happens.

I'll update it soon when I get a bit of free time. Essays and case studies on ethics is occupying my time right now :tdown:. I'll get on it soon, though.

·
Registered
796 Posts

just so people know i think if you are stage 2 already and have the patience to shop around you can def get some of these parts for cheap. my whole dom 3 build cost about 4600 or so with all parts yet i also had the tbe i bought used as well as the ap i already had. i like this layout though for sure. i just think a lot of people get so excited to be upgrading that they go out and buy the first part they see regardless of price when spending a few days or hours at least and shop around could save 50 here and 50 there up to a couple hundred bucks. plus look for vendors having specials. thats what i did and save at least 200 right off the bat by getting a packaged deal with most of the parts i needed.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #87

Thanks to the mod/admin who stickied this :tup:.

What's the price
Full-Race Motorsports | Full-Race.com. It was that easy.

just so people know i think if you are stage 2 already and have the patience to shop around you can def get some of these parts for cheap. my whole dom 3 build cost about 4600 or so with all parts yet i also had the tbe i bought used as well as the ap i already had. i like this layout though for sure. i just think a lot of people get so excited to be upgrading that they go out and buy the first part they see regardless of price when spending a few days or hours at least and shop around could save 50 here and 50 there up to a couple hundred bucks. plus look for vendors having specials. thats what i did and save at least 200 right off the bat by getting a packaged deal with most of the parts i needed.
True. That's best case scenario. The spreadsheets are worst case... you buy them new, at MSRP, and you don't get any discounts/sales/buddy hookups/etc.

·
Registered
661 Posts

Thanks to the mod/admin who stickied this :tup:.

Full-Race Motorsports | Full-Race.com. It was that easy.
The one on their website is ATP, on your spreadsheet is rotated. Maybe you need to change it to ATP with an updated price to make it easy. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Geoff please pm me pricing for gt35r rotated and borgwarner equivalent. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #91

The one on their website is ATP, on your spreadsheet is rotated. Maybe you need to change it to ATP with an updated price to make it easy. :rolleyes:

Anyway, Geoff please pm me pricing for gt35r rotated and borgwarner equivalent. Thanks.
Because you're clearly bad at the internet and/or lazy, and expect my spreadsheet to be as current as vendors' websites, I'll help you out.

:wave:

$3,444.00 - 1.5 scroll turbo kit w/ ATP 30R included (add extra for ATP 35R)
- Full-Race Motorsports

OR...

$4,282.00 - Twinscroll turbo kit w/ BW turbo (add extra for Garrett variants, reverse mount I/C kit)
- Full-Race Motorsports

Starting all over again, I'd for sure get the twinscroll turbo kit w/ the BW 91-79, reverse mount IC kit, especially since it includes the UP, manifolds, and dual MV-S'. That's a well-priced, very powerful kit... IMO.

·
Registered
661 Posts

Because you're clearly bad at the internet and/or lazy, and expect my spreadsheet to be as current as vendors' websites, I'll help you out.

:wave:

$3,444.00 - 1.5 scroll turbo kit w/ ATP 30R included (add extra for ATP 35R)
- Full-Race Motorsports

OR...

$4,282.00 - Twinscroll turbo kit w/ BW turbo (add extra for Garrett variants, reverse mount I/C kit)
- Full-Race Motorsports

Starting all over again, I'd for sure get the twinscroll turbo kit w/ the BW 91-79, reverse mount IC kit, especially since it includes the UP, manifolds, and dual MV-S'. That's a well-priced, very powerful kit... IMO.
Dude are we going to argue about a question not directed to you. You wanted to help, just help. No need your smart *** comment. Just because you started the thread does not mean you can be an asswipe. :eek:

And no I didn't expect your spreadsheet to be current that is why I didn't ask you. I think you're the one who is bad on the internet. I thought I was posting Nasioc.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts

Dude are we going to argue about a question not directed to you. You wanted to help, just help. No need your smart *** comment. Just because you started the thread does not mean you can be an asswipe. :eek:

And no I didn't expect your spreadsheet to be current that is why I didn't ask you. I think you're the one who is bad on the internet. I thought I was posting Nasioc.
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/general/174842-been-butthurt-lately-check-your-ego.html

·
Registered
661 Posts

lol no butt hurt here. Go sit down with your buddy.

Seriously, I'm looking into rotated kit that's why I'm on this thread. So thank you OP for your thread. As you can see, I'm not a keyboard warrior. I don't spend so much time on the internet like some of you guys. I have better things to do. No more off topic from my side. This is a good thread.

·
Premium Member
14,725 Posts

do your headers make the subaru lose the boxer rumble.
I have the Full-Race headers and up-pipe going to my Deadbolt SZ55 Turbo (EWG). All I have to say is that the headers sound like an STi at idle. When you go wide open throttle they sound just like an exotic Japanese STi! Here are some videos I took of my car on my YouTube Channel. If you have any other questions on the sound, let me know:)!

When it first started up, had a bad vac leak:
YouTube - First start up with Full-Race system and more

Getting tuned by Chris from EFI Logics:
YouTube - Initial Tuning at XX-Tuning by EFI Logics

Driving back home:
YouTube - Chris05STi SZ55 Meth and Full Race Manifold and Up Pipe

My buddy Phil and his Full-Race STi wtih a GT35R on it!
YouTube - Philthy's Brief 2-Step Launch (Full-Race setup)

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Re: Planning a big turbo build? This is roughly how much it's going to cost you...

Just compiling updated pricing information. I hope to get the spreadsheets updated by the weekend.

LOL same here. Till some WRX on E-85 blows my doors off. Then its on Master Card!
A WRX ('09+) will probably do the same anyway, on pump gas :).

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #99

Newly updated, 03/03/10:
- I've again updated the spreadsheets to account for new or changed pricing, and to account for new kits that are now offered.

- Unfortunately, I think Full-Race was painted in an expensive light when they first came on the Subaru scene because of their presumed "high" pricing. However, the cattle on the forums didn't delve deeper into their pricing and realize that it included so much more than the regular, mediocre run of the mill kits on the market.

- Now, Full-Race has dropped their pricing. :tup: On top of that, as people will see below, for what you get (twinscroll, FR's manifold and UP, twin Tial 38mm MV-S WG's), for the bit extra that FR costs over the cheap kits (P&L, Perrin, Crawford) and the more well known kits (APS, UR, AMS) it's foolish IMO not to save a bit more and get the quality.

- I separated the 40R kits from the 35R kits. You can draw your own conclusions, but the UR singlescroll 40R "kit" is the biggest joke I've seen. I'm not sure if they made a mistake, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and say that they've mistakenly screwed up either the price, or what's offered at the price. Their twinscroll offering is expensive as well, and not near the quality (IMO) that Full-Race is.

- One last note: I didn't bother updating the small turbo kit pricing. It wasn't worth the time or effort. The conclusion of that spreadsheet still stands - starting from scratch, the price difference between a stock location turbo and a rotated setup is negligible. The various turbos are all priced in the same region (Blouch's new stuff, FP's stuff, ATP stuff...) so adjust accordingly.

Disclaimers:
1) What is below is MSRP website pricing. Everything is assuming you purchase it brand new from a vendor without getting a deal.

2) My bottom line for each turbo kit is an estimation. That isn't the final number. Discounts and sales will lower the cost, but the cost of tuning, miscellaneous costs, and unlisted hardware/tuning/hourly fees etc are
not exact so that could and will raise the price.
- Sales, specials, shipping, tax etc is not factored in.
- Labour costs are an estimate, but some people would do it themselves, and others would rather have a shop do it. Add that cost in if it applies to you.

3) Each person will choose different parts manufacturers for things like intakes, intercoolers, BOV's, so I've taken a rough estimate of each part cost favoring towards the higher end products (eBay buyers will save a lot more than the prices I listed).

4) For the big turbo builds, top end motor work 'should' be done as well, but it's not a necessity. If applicable, add in the cost of cams, new valves, springs, retainers, head work, all block hardware etc, and labour to the cost (roughly $5,000-8,000 w/ install)

Things of note:
1) Stock mount turbos come in, on average, only around $715 cheaper than rotated mount kits, BUT add in the cost of an EWG setup, and the price difference in negligible. Therefore, the price difference between rotated mount turbos and stock mount turbos after adding everything is moot. It's a matter of preference and how much you want to gain from the setup.
- The reason most people believe staying stock mount is cheaper is because most people usually buy a TBE, intake and EM first. So, they look at having to buy a rotated DP and intake again and that adds to the cost.

2) I added in an
estimated labour cost of 15 hours @ $90. That's an estimate so it could be a lot more or a lot less depending on how complicated the build is and if there are any problems.

I am not affiliated with any company. I made these spreadsheets on my own time while I was planning my build a couple of years ago, and have periodically updated them.

Hope this helps you guys spend your money wisely :)

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
A couple gripes about your charts as I briefly looked over them.
1) HTA is $595 (I went with this option on my FR 30r kit)

2) you'd still need ems and injectors with Perrins 30r kit

81 - 100 of 118 Posts