IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Re: **Updated** Planning a turbo build? This is roughly what it will cost you.

Nice excel spreadsheets. This is great info especially those that are new to the game and want more power beyond stage 2. Definately an eye opener when you think about the costs involved. Thanks for putting those sheets together.
Thanks man. I hope it can help some people when they're deciding if they want to go 'big.'

Sorry, I did not read the thread<Lazy!

Matt, what about the cost of standalone EM?

Cory
I put $800 for EM. Pretty general. You can either spend $0 (open source) or you can spend over $3,000 like I did (Autronic SM4 w/ DBW, anti-lag, LC, FFS, knock control etc). So yeah, depending on which way you go - cheap or steep - deduct or add to the costs listed. :)

·
Banned
502 Posts

Nice spreadsheet! Most people look at me weird when I tell them the price difference is minimal between rotated and stock location. :lol:

If you guys need any information for the spreadsheet about our kit, just ask!

-Ty

·
Registered
92 Posts

Awesome write up and great job!! Keep up the good work. This is the info I've been trying to figure/search out for a while now. Should totally be a sticky!

·
Registered
3,132 Posts

can you upload and post a link to your worksheet? i wasnt able to find it in previous posts.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Wow thanks for doing all the work and posting this !!

·
Registered
23 Posts

This is the most useful thread I have come across in awhile. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

I have a DIY excel sheet I had written up. It cost me roughly 4k for my buildup.

20g + Forged dropins (basically an S2 SB) + TBE + X-over pipe + uppipe + Meth + Samco hoses + Misc **** like a hoist, fluids, tools and crap. Now that I own most of the stuff I need, if I have to dropin another block it will cost me less. I could get a brand new Subaru SB + CP pistons in for around 2500.

The community actually donated almost 500 dollars for the free stage 1 maps I made with my 06 WRX and my 07 STi when they found out I blew my engine. That was cool.

Going to put my free FMIC on today too. :D

·
Registered
23 Posts

I have a DIY excel sheet I had written up. It cost me roughly 4k for my buildup.

20g + Forged dropins (basically an S2 SB) + TBE + X-over pipe + uppipe + Meth + Samco hoses + Misc **** like a hoist, fluids, tools and crap. Now that I own most of the stuff I need, if I have to dropin another block it will cost me less. I could get a brand new Subaru SB + CP pistons in for around 2500.

The community actually donated almost 500 dollars for the free stage 1 maps I made with my 06 WRX and my 07 STi when they found out I blew my engine. That was cool.

Going to put my free FMIC on today too. :D
Did you do all of the labor yourself? Did you hone the cylinders for the new pistons on your own? That seems awfully cheap.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

^That's the difference between doing your own labour/tuning. This spreadsheet is for Joe Blow non-mechanic going to his tuning shop and saying, "I want [insert list] installed and tuned for."

Again, the prices quoted are list (MSRP) and don't account for discounts, sales, vendor relationships etc. Call it worse case scenario... but at the same time, don't expect a huge discount either.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts

I personally think that the P&L kit is one of the nicest and most complete kits on the market. I really like how the kit replaces the AVCS oil supply line and the power steering line with steel braided lines. And from all that I've read, fitment is always perfect. And for the 08 STI's, there is a bracket that slightly turns the upper coolant tank to clear the intake pipe. So you don't have to do a total relocation.
I'd like to see the AMS kit get added to the spread sheet. I think that it will be popular kit soon due to it using the Tial V-band exhaust housings.

Very good job on the spread sheets. I'm glad that I can do all of my own labor!

·
Registered
1,076 Posts

^That's the difference between doing your own labour/tuning. This spreadsheet is for Joe Blow non-mechanic going to his tuning shop and saying, "I want [insert list] installed and tuned for."

Again, the prices quoted are list (MSRP) and don't account for discounts, sales, vendor relationships etc. Call it worse case scenario... but at the same time, don't expect a huge discount either.
Exactly, I did the hone (with a hand drill), split the block and inspected the tolerances (caliper, feeler gauges, micro meter), etc. The rod and mains did not even need replaced. They virtually had no wear. I did the labor and tuning. Parts are the cheap part. ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts

Great spreadsheet TLP, thanks for putting that together.
Amazing to see the difference between not only the types of setups, but the brand too.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts

Great spreadsheet TLP, thanks for putting that together.
Amazing to see the difference between not only the types of setups, but the brand too.
you mean screenshot of a spreadsheet.. what would be great is if he'd actually post the workbook so we could customize it to our own build. :confused::confused:

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts

you mean screenshot of a spreadsheet.. what would be great is if he'd actually post the workbook so we could customize it to our own build. :confused::confused:
Or just add up the cost of every part you need? :confused:

·
Registered
3,132 Posts

Or just add up the cost of every part you need? :confused:
isnt that what a spreadsheet is for?

itd be nice to be able to change his assumptions and have the sheet dynamically do the math.. but i digress.

·
Registered
30 Posts

wow thats alot of money, for a car that wont pass emissions and wont be very street friendly.the evo probably cost less to mod from what ive heard.

·
Registered
910 Posts

wow thats alot of money, for a car that wont pass emissions and wont be very street friendly.the evo probably cost less to mod from what ive heard.
If your're worried about passing emissions then you probably won't be going this route, although you can get a cat with most setups. I will be, but not so much for emissions but to cut back on exhaust fume smell.

It's my understanding that these cars are plenty street friendly with a big turbo kit...I'll let you know for sure in about six months when mine's done. ;)

And yeah, EVO's are probably cheaper to mod for the power gained, but cheaper doesn't mean better.

·
Registered
3,487 Posts

I asked him for it the other day and he said he lost it/maybe deleted the actual spreadsheet.

Don't think it'd be too hard to recreate it as the screenshot is all you'd need. If you're decent with Excel it'd probably take like 20 or 30 minutes to get formula's working. Typing in the numbers and headers would take the most time...

61 - 80 of 118 Posts