IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Re: Planning a turbo build? This is the price breakdown. Full-Race, APS, UR, Perrin,

matt this is possibly the most useful information in this site, makes me just want to get my car protuned with the stuff i just bought and then later down the road splurge and just buy all full-race/aps....to me if your going to spend that kind of money on doing the upgrade might as well spend the extra 1000 and go all out.......

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
Re: Planning a turbo build? This is the price breakdown. Full-Race, APS, UR, Perrin,

matt BTW did you get my email? i'm going to email you again tomowrow about the ohlins fp suspention, the more i look at it the more i think its the proper setup for me.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

matt this is possibly the most useful information in this site, makes me just want to get my car protuned with the stuff i just bought and then later down the road splurge and just buy all full-race/aps....to me if your going to spend that kind of money on doing the upgrade might as well spend the extra 1000 and go all out.......
matt BTW did you get my email? i'm going to email you again tomowrow about the ohlins fp suspention, the more i look at it the more i think its the proper setup for me.
Thanks man - I hope it helps you and a lot of other people see how much cash it actually takes to get everything running from start to finish.

One thing that all this doesn't factor in is reliability. IMO, once you start pushing the envelope, building blocks, going rotated, doing top end work... reliability becomes a bit hit and miss, so a bit more money should be reserved for the "oh ****" situations.

I got your email - sorry, haven't had a chance to get back to you yet. I'll look for your email tomorrow :tup:

·
Registered
8,776 Posts

nice work mang.

labor costs FTL

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts

Wow, this is really helping me eliminate the possibility of a big turbo build. Thanks!

Not even kidding, this is saving me money.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts

This is such good information for people. I am going to add this link to my "End-All" threads ;)

FWIW, I know you wanted to keep it the same across the board, but the Crawford kit doesn't use a BOV and I-speed uses the stock boost control solenoid/system. If you wanted to go that route, then you'd save a little $$. I'm sure there are other ways to save more money on other kit's also....then again, I'm sure you could spend more on these kits also :lol:

Ask me how I know ;)

·
Registered
4,021 Posts

i hope my wife never sees this :lol: she'd kill me, then divorce my corpse if she added up everything over the years :lol:

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #31

^:lol: True. Very true.
Wow, this is really helping me eliminate the possibility of a big turbo build. Thanks!

Not even kidding, this is saving me money.
I'm sure a bunch of vendors are really happy with me :rolleyes:
:wave:

Just spotted that you charged twice for the intake on the UR build

Excellent post, thanks.
Noted, thanks for the heads up.

·
'do right & fear no one"
8,564 Posts
Re: Planning a big turbo build? This is roughly how much it's going to cost you...

Absolutely. I was debating throwing that in there, but there are too many variables. I'd guess at another $2,500 for a very capable suspension setup, another $500-1000 for brakes, another $500-1000 for a water/meth injection system, tires, wheels.... the list goes on and on.
My guess is that a full-out modded STI (that's still sane, ie. not your car) is probably looking at $15-40k in parts and labour.
folks showing interest in this thread might want to check out this piece i did on big project builds:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/faq-newbie-forum/37014-how-plan-big-project-build-if-you-not-expert-yourself.html

only the strong survive.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Re: Planning a big turbo build? This is roughly how much it's going to cost you...

...My guess is that a full-out modded STI (that's still sane, ie. not your car) is probably looking at $15-40k in parts and labour.
Good guess. Every time I see the "I have $5K for my 500whp project - how should I spend it?" thread on the boards, I just cringe. No only are they $10-15K short on the front end, but what the hell are they going to do when (not if) something goes badly wrong down the road?

·
Banned
524 Posts

Just spotted that you charged twice for the intake on the UR build

Excellent post, thanks.
He also charged twice for the uppipe. Intake and uppipe are both part of the standard UR 35R kit. 500 bucks should be removed for those two parts.

Then remove a few hundred more from all kits except Full Race since the others aren't sold at full retail.

I also disagree with listing a header for all kits as if it's necessary. Plenty of car run 10's or better on bone stock unported manifolds and I doubt a Full Race 35R kit spools appreciably better than a UR one for instance.

Built block, BOV, and boost control solenoid upgrades are also not required, but you listed them across the board so they don't skew things from kit to kit. All of those stock parts are okay at say 26 psi or so.

Don't forget a good clutch or you won't get far and tuning at 200 bucks isn't realistic for a custom ECU tune, let alone a standalone tune. ;)

A fuel rail upgrade or at least a parallel mod should be added as well for safety. TGV delete optional, but recommended.

Other items such as ignition system upgrades come into play at a certain point, but that's too specific for this comparison.

I hope you're not offended. I'm just trying to make your comparison/suggested parts list more accurate.

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)

^lol, looks like I was picking on Ultimate Racing. Sorry man - seems like you may have a vested interest in them ;) I'll fix those errors and update the sheet.

I was trying to be as unbiased as possible and to keep the numbers as straight and consistent across the board. The only time I'd deviate is if a manufacturer (like Perrin or Crawford) included a part like a FMIC with their kit, or say the APS kit that strongly recommends their manifold, that was listed at a certain price.

And like I said in the beginning, pricing won't be 100% exact become there are always specials, sales, buddies, buying used, buying off eBay, stealing stuff... ;)

We all know that you can get away with the stock headers, but realistically a lot of people are going to swap them out for gains. The fact that Full-Race and Perrin include them in their "kits" means that they should be included across the board as well.

I should add a miscellaneous column for clutch, fueling upgrades, and an "oh ****" fund. I'll see what I can do....

I put the tune down at $500, but that was being very generous. I know my protune and dyno time was over $1000... but again it just depends.

Just to be clear again, this is just a rough estimate. Whether the total cost of a build is $15k or $17k... at that point the lines become vague. It's simply safe to say that it's going to cost a **** load of money.

The two most important things I learned from doing this was that I realized every big turbo build is very close in price, and the difference in cost of going rotated versus staying stock mount is negligible. So, with that said, for the maximum price difference of $1,500, I'd go with the company that made the highest quality products, had the best fitment, the best customer support, and would be as reliable as possible.

And BTW, I wasn't offended at all - this is good discussion :)

EDIT: Added in miscellaneous costs for clutch + install, fuel rail kit, and general extra expense. Also fixed UR errors on both sheets, and added another $500 to tuning.

·
Banned
524 Posts

Nicely done. Your charts show the small difference in price between stock mount and rotated kits nicely. Yea I think clutch would be a good one to add because once you consider the part, resurfacing your flywheel or buying a light one and labor it's a significant amount of money.

I actually sell all those parts except Full Race, but I did chose UR for my own car and it is my favorite. ;)

·
Registered
4,505 Posts

After looking at those numbers I might as well leave my car with the stock turbo on it.

·
Registered
661 Posts

good info

·
Registered
385 Posts

Personally, I'd never, ever consider the Perrin kit, but it is a popular name out there so I figured I should include it.
Just curious, why would you never consider the Perrin kit?

Great write-up btw. Very informative.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts

Just curious, why would you never consider the Perrin kit?

Great write-up btw. Very informative.
search my user name :lol:

21 - 40 of 118 Posts