IW STi Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. This is my first post, since I've had my car for only about a month.

My problem is that after driving the car for at least 15 minutes, there is a buzzing noise in the engine compartment upon deceleration between 2500-3000 RPM. It doesn't happen when the engine is cold, and the sound is most noticeable in 2nd and 3rd gears.

I took it back to the dealer (Dulles Subaru in Leesburg, VA) a few days after I got the car. They said it was a loose or missing weld on a heat shield for some part of the exhaust system. They ordered a part and installed it yesterday (FINALLY), but the car still buzzes. I'm happy to have a perfect exhaust system, but the buzzing (or quick, fine rattling) worries and annoys me.

The dealer had the car all day today and called to say they have no idea what the cause is and they called SOA and they don't know anything either.

Have any of you had this problem?

Any suggestions on how I should handle this?

Is Subaru good about resolving problems?

1/13/04 Update:

I can answer the last question for myself now. I don't think they are because they haven't solved this problem.

In all, Dulles Motorcars had my car for three days and were in contact with Subaru of America. They still cannot determine what the cause of the buzzing noise is. They drove two other new STis on their lot, and they buzzed too.

The service manager promised me in mid-December that he would have the regional rep come drive the car. A month later I am still waiting for that to happen.

Because of this poor service, being threatened by the used car manager, and ignored by the general manager and owner, I recommend you buy your STi somewhere else.

I will let you know if SOA ever comes through or someone figures out what causes the buzzing.

BTW, Derrick at Mach V Motorsports thinks it might be because the gears in the transmission are more hellical and vertical than most cars and that there is some play in them that causes the buzzing. (I hope I didn't misrepresent what you said Derrick.)

I have just over 2,600 miles.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Mine is in the shop right now being fixed. I had a guide for the timing belt come loose. It was rubbing on the back of the timing belt. It was sounding horrible after a bit of engine warm up. I hope to have a complete description and pictures later today when I get the car back.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts