IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back under 4000 miles blown motor. Just an update there were a few ??'s asked i havent had a chance to update i just got back from a trip to italy..anyways to sum it up it ended up being 2 rods 2 valves and 4 lifters the reason they said it blew was neglect my car was low on oil and this was the cause. I purchased the car from Petes Subaru in Pittsfield,MA I saw in ones of the replys somebody asked where i got the car from....if there are any ???'s feel free to post them..I get the car back tomarrow this time im gonna check the oil and plan to take it easy on the new motor for a couple thousand miles :p

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
How could an engine with only 4000 miles be low on oil?? At that point, it's probably only had one oil change if you follow Subaru's schedule anyway. Unless something else was seriously wrong with the engine, or someone fubar'd the oil change, you should not have been lacking in engine oil.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
04SlvrSTi said:
I posted a while back under 4000 miles blown motor. Just an update there were a few ??'s asked i havent had a chance to update i just got back from a trip to italy..anyways to sum it up it ended up being 2 rods 2 valves and 4 lifters the reason they said it blew was neglect my car was low on oil and this was the cause. I purchased the car from Petes Subaru in Pittsfield,MA I saw in ones of the replys somebody asked where i got the car from....if there are any ???'s feel free to post them..I get the car back tomarrow this time im gonna check the oil and plan to take it easy on the new motor for a couple thousand miles :p
Wow, so you got the car with no oil in it basically. That is nuts. So did SOA pick up the bill or what?

-st

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I imagine they did, or he'd be posting something that sounds a lot more pissed off.

As for the oil, yea, that doesn't sound right. Maybe a leaky/cracked oil pan or something.... it would have to be pretty bad to get significantly low in that ammount of time.... and no oil light? Things are definately not adding up.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
So in 4k miles you never checked your oil?!?! At 4k I already had 2 oil changes. Cars usually burn through oil during break in also so I would definitely check the level at the 1k mark even if you don't change it. So far every oil change I did the level was low. I even check it before I am due for a change and add oil as needed.

·
Registered
260 Posts
IM BACKKKKKK!!!

You guys prompted me to check my oil today, @ 1600 miles currently and I'm down almost 1 quart. I assume this is normal oil consumption during breaking in and putting my foot down on the accelerator. I've always heard that the oil light comes on because of low oil pressure and not because the oil level is low.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
drewster said:
You guys prompted me to check my oil today, @ 1600 miles currently and I'm down almost 1 quart. I assume this is normal oil consumption during breaking in and putting my foot down on the accelerator. I've always heard that the oil light comes on because of low oil pressure and not because the oil level is low.
Yeah the oil light is low oil pressure, not low oil. The whole dipstick is about 1/2 to 3/4 of a quartin my experience. I burned about 3/4 - 1 quart in the first 3k miles. Also keep in mind that the dealer and/or factory might not put the exact same amount of oil in each engine. You really need to check it at delivery and then every week or so to really monitor consumption. Oil temperature and how long the motor has been running or sitting really impact it as well. Finally, the stock dipstick is flimsy, so if it bends, it might affect the reading as well.

-st

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
low oil in the pan could very easily cause low oil pressure. the STi accelerates and can turn like crazy. if you get too low on oil you can uncover the oil pump pickup in the pan during hard acceleration, braking or extreme lateral G's. it's only be for a second or two but perhaps long enough to cause oil starvation in portions of the engine. anyone know if the STi comes with a baffled oil pan, with all the trick trap doors and stuff to keep the pickup from being uncovered?

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I would imagine that since the boxter engine is completely horizontal, gravity wouldn't be in your favor in terms of oil consumption..... so they might consume some oil.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
04 STI

crashsti said:
anyone know if the STi comes with a baffled oil pan, with all the trick trap doors and stuff to keep the pickup from being uncovered?
There is in fact a baffle in the bottom of the oil pan, at least according to the diagrams in the service manual.

-st

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
i change my own oil every 1000 miles. its cheap to do and fun. come on guys...we dont need mommy anymore.....check the oil every other day...i usually dont see much of a loss 1/4 quart was the most...and that was at my 1000 mile limit.....doesnt burn any more or less than any other 4 cyl i've had. hard driving will cause you to burn some. but to blow because it's low? ouch :oops:

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
First here's the background: first oil change I did at 1200 miles, put in regular (non-synth) 10W-40 (heavier weight is better for summer per the owners manual). Did my second change today at 4k miles (yes, only 2800 miles after my first change) and found I was down 2 qts!!! I know for sure I put in 4.8 - 5.0 qts on the first change, so that's not the problem. I haven't raced it yet, but just put it through some occasional spirited driving on empty access roads. No lights had come on, so I'm thinking I always had pressure and shouldn't see any premature engine probs. BUT this consumption rate seems too high - comments?? PS - no leaks either... :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
ValvetrainEngineer said:
First here's the background: first oil change I did at 1200 miles, put in regular (non-synth) 10W-40 (heavier weight is better for summer per the owners manual). Did my second change today at 4k miles (yes, only 2800 miles after my first change) and found I was down 2 qts!!! I know for sure I put in 4.8 - 5.0 qts on the first change, so that's not the problem. I haven't raced it yet, but just put it through some occasional spirited driving on empty access roads. No lights had come on, so I'm thinking I always had pressure and shouldn't see any premature engine probs. BUT this consumption rate seems too high - comments?? PS - no leaks either... :eek: :eek: :eek:
I've heard at least one other similar story from someone who changed their oil before 3k miles on NASIOC. I'm not sure if the first oil change has anything to do with it. Some people have also had leaks that they didn't really notice (oil line to turbo - 2 ppl that I know of) - I assume there was no oil on the underbelly pan anywhere? How did you break it it?

I burned about 3/4-1qt of oil during break-in (added 5w30 dino). I then changed my oil to M1 5w30 at 3k (added about 4.5qts). I'm now at 4k and haven't burned any oil yet.

-st

1 - 20 of 38 Posts