IW STi Forum banner

Unixfool's '11 DGM STI Sedan

38894 Views 195 Replies 37 Participants Last post by  unixfool
I'll be documenting the mods for my car in this thread.

I bought a 2011 DGM STi sedan late in the evening of 18 November from Dulles Motorcars, a Subaru dealership in northern VA. My previous vehicle was a 2004 Dodge Ram SLT Quad Cab 4x4 with short bed. The Dodge should've been my next performance car, but with 3 kids, I needed something a bit more practical...the Dodge was a way for me to have tons of room and be able to play in the mud and snow (and it also had the 5.7L Hemi). My previous performance cars were: 1991 Eagle Talon TSI AWD, which replaced a 1989 Ford Mustang LX 5.0L, which replaced the 1986 Pontiac Fiero GT. I also have owned several motorcycles and currently own a 2003 Suzuki SV1000S, which I used the truck to sometimes ferry around.

The initial plan was to not do any modifications, to keep a healthy relationship with SOA since I was under extended warranty, but the warranty expired awhile back. I currently have bolt-on items that I've not yet installed - downpipe, EBCS, fuel pump and other mods. Eventually those parts will be installed.

Attachments

See less See more
21 - 40 of 196 Posts
Acknowledged and already covered in the thread. Right now, I just need *something* and the cheaper, the better.
Acknowledged and already covered in the thread. Right now, I just need *something* and the cheaper, the better.
Sorry, I didn't read through the previous posts. :p
Got winter tires and wheels now. Will install them tomorrow (just got home). Glad I decided not to take the Subaru...side roads were a mess.
I couldn't wait and installed the wheels tonight. My old floor jack failed me, so I need to get another before the Nameless gets here. I used the jack that was in the trunk instead.

Some things I noticed:

1. The lug studs don't stick out through the holes as much with these wheels...at first I panicked, until I saw that the lugs could still reach the studs...there just isn't as much sticking out.

2. The wheels came with TPMS! That wasn't advertised in the ad, and I was going to just go without TPMS and put up with the warning lit. I put the wheels on and cranked up the car to go for a test drive, and saw no alarm on the dashboard cluster. I was like, WHOA...

3. These tires rock. There's not much snow left but I found an empty parking lot with some ice and did some starts and stops...no slip at all, even when cranking the wheel. I can slip on demand, though. The tires are a lot quieter than the Dunlops, too...shouldn't flatspot, either.

Gonna patiently await more snow now...hahaha!
See less See more
Musing a bit about the difference between stock size:

@ Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing, I entered the stock tire size and the tires that are now on the car:

Stock Tire - 245/40R18 | Tire 1 - 225/45R17

Actual Speed: 60 mph 100 km/h | Speedometer1: 61.7 mph 102. km/h
Speedometer Difference: - | Speedometer Difference: 2.954% too fast

Also found that 225/45/17 is the OEM size for '06 GD, so the previous owner was running OEM size wheels on his car.

Not a huge deal...it just means I need to watch my speed a tad to compensate.
How far was your test drive? I would think the ECU would still need to be reprogrammed with the codes from the new sensors.
How far was your test drive? I would think the ECU would still need to be reprogrammed with the codes from the new sensors.
Yes, the new TPMS sensors would need to be synch'd with the car's ECU for them to work. Sometimes it takes 25+ miles for the car to realize the TPMS aren't there anymore. So even if the new winter setup came with TPMS, you'd need to pay a dealership to scan and synch them with the car's ECU.

Post some pics of the setup! :)
Yes, the new TPMS sensors would need to be synch'd with the car's ECU for them to work. Sometimes it takes 25+ miles for the car to realize the TPMS aren't there anymore. So even if the new winter setup came with TPMS, you'd need to pay a dealership to scan and synch them with the car's ECU.

Post some pics of the setup! :)
You're 100% correct...light came on on the way to the auto store to get a new jack...thanks for that (both of you).

Heres some pics!

Attachments

See less See more
Subscribed!

Thnx for going through with a thread dedicated to non-engine mods. I have a '11 WRX w/ extended warranty, so I'm sorta in the same boat. The only mod I've done so far is a WC Lathe Werks shift knob , which is highly recommended. Superb craftmanship. I too am looking at getting a nameless muffler-delete cbe. Pls post pics when you get it installed!
Subscribed!

Thnx for going through with a thread dedicated to non-engine mods. I have a '11 WRX w/ extended warranty, so I'm sorta in the same boat. The only mod I've done so far is a WC Lathe Werks shift knob , which is highly recommended. Superb craftmanship. I too am looking at getting a nameless muffler-delete cbe. Pls post pics when you get it installed!
Thanks for subscribing! I'll definitely post pics of the Nameless, and maybe post a vid. Hopefully it will be warmer than this weekend when the package arrives. The last two days, I've been freezing my balls off in the garage!
The Nameless hasn't yet been shipped...got a shipment notification and should arrive 30 Jan. Unfortunately, I'll be on vacation at the time of it's arrival (going skiing and boarding). I'd ask the neighbors to retrieve it but they'll be with us. I may have to come back home to put it in the garage, then head back to the vacation spot...it's not far from home. I'll be installing the same day I get back, otherwise I won't be able to sleep that night!

I'll be taking the car on the trip, so I'll get to test the tires in real snow. The roads to the lifts are nice too, so I'll get to play around a bit.
Subscribed!

Have you looked into getting the windows tinted yet? That's another something I might need to do :)
Tint is on my list. I just need to find a place near me with a good reputation.
The deletes are here. Unfortunately, I didn't get home from vacation until 8pm, so the install will wait until tomorrow after work...can't wait!
The Nameless is installed.

Pics are here:

It. Is. F'king. Loud. It's right at the my annoyance threshold. I took it for a test drive and was paranoid, looking for cops. I have to put the stereo on 28-30 just to hear what's playing. That justifies the subwoofer mod...the wife will understand after her first ride after this mod...hahaha! :)

This is going to take some getting used to. Seriously. I noted that I can modulate the sound. If I balance the throttle between thrust and coasting, I can modulate the sound. Maybe I'm too paranoid. I hear other Subies pass by the house all day long...they're loud but I'm wondering how mine compares. It's difficult to tell since I'm inside the car. Maybe it's not quite as loud when hearing it from outside. I heard another member's Nameless...his didn't seem quite as loud, but he has the muffled version (and I believe he might have a midpipe...don't think he has a turbo-back, but I'll ask again...even so, mine sounds louder).

Oh yeah. One exhaust gasket is shot to hell..it broke in half with one half staying on the midpipe end. I'll have to get a new gasket for that side, but puzzled it together for now. The bolts were difficult to get off. The car is only a year old and had heavy rust on the bolts. I believe it was a Jersey car. I lubed them with WD40 after I got them off. Noted that the stock mufflers are heavy as hell, too...and I didn't think they were that big and shaped like canned ham. I'll have to find a place to store them (I usually keep all my stock parts, just in case...).

Comparison video is below. Note that I'm not revving the piss out of the engine...it is evening and I'd rather not piss off the neighbors.

Edit: don't get me wrong...I love the sound...it's deep and you can feel it in your chest. I just need to get used to the decibel level.

Edit 2: I used a decibel meter app on my phone to measure the interior sound with the Nameless deletes. The phone was measuring right above the clock (on a suction cup mount) At idle, the interior measured at 68db. At speed (55mph), the measurement was 78db. I also took the car out of gear and coasted at 55mph, expecting a drop-off of db...no, it didnt' drop, so most of that noise is probably from the tires (SP600s with I've no idea how many actual miles, since I bought them used -- tread is still thick, though).
See less See more
Loud is good. I've found cops don't care as long as you aren't blasting past them sounding like a demon lol.
Comment moved up above
Sorry there's been no movement on my car's upgrading. I've been modifying the bike and spending money on computer parts and such. Got an Alienware M17x R3 on the way. :) I was supposed to be focusing on getting tint and an OEM subwoofer but got sidetracked.

The tint is a definite must, so hopefully that'll be done within 30 days.
Yeah, I've been neglecting my mod list. :( But at least I've been driving the car.

I joined the Capital Driving Club, mainly for autocross (they have HPDE events too). I've attended two events so far.

The first event in Maryland was a bit of a mess...only two of my runs were counted.

My second event (in Winchester) was much more satisfying. The course had extra room for the STi to stretch it's legs. I bought an extra slot and ended up running something like 14 runs. The times of the extra slot didn't count for points but I'm not racing for points, so I used the slot as a test/tune. The test car, an FFR Cobra, timed at 34.xx sec. The fastest STi was running 36s (and he was hitting 36s most of the day). I started out very slow, where the first run was a 48.xx. I got lower as the day wore on, with an official 39.xx. With the extra slot, I broke into the 38s after consulting another member, wondering how I could make more time. He rode with me and told me I was extremely smooth but that I needed to step up the pace a bit and to get closer to the cones. He told me that if my tires weren't howling, I wasn't pushing hard enough. So, I went out and followed his tips and cut a second off my time. But I didn't progress beyond 38s. I also scared the living daylights out of him. There's a long middle slalom stretch where I began to get deep into the throttle. I think he was thinking I'd begin my braking early but I waited until the very last minute and did this panic "foot through floorboard" type move!

I learned several lessons. The most important lesson is to increase the pace of my first run...that way, I'll at least place mid-pack as I progress throughout the day. Don't be afraid of getting close to the cones (but don't constantly nail them either). Don't hammer the throttle and brakes...be as smooth as possible. Study the cones to see where I can make the best time. Watch other drivers, especially STi drivers, to see where they're doing well on the course (and not so well).

So now I'm thinking I should begin to look for some dedicated autocross wheels and tires. I'm looking for another set of the stocker Dunlop SP600s. Why? They're good...very good. MUCH better than people give them credit for. I was not sliding whatsoever on the track. Not even an inch. They're durable for what they are. Sure, I could do better, as this tire is considered the low man on the ultra-performance totem pole, but it IS INDEED an ultra-performance tire. Some of the other STis were getting rather close to that FFR Cobra's time and they were using Dunlop SP600s. Plus, the SP600s are one of the first things that owners tend to swap out of a new car, so I can get them cheaper than I could if I bought them new. And I just need some extra tires.

I was much harder on the tires than when I was in Maryland and they've some minor wear. These are the same tires that came with the car and the car has a bit over 8K miles, but I can see that I'll need some dedicated wheels before winter. What I'll do is find a used but low milelage set locally, if that is even possible during the summer. I'll put those on the car for normal driving, but make the current set my dedicated autoX tires.

I also found a place local to me that will tint my windows (instead of me driving halfway across metro DC/VA/MD). I just need to visit them and get a quote. I could've used some tint when it was 105+ a few weeks ago.

Now, with all that dialogue up above, I'm extremely happy with the car and it's autocross performance. It has some pretty ridiculous performance. I don't think I'm going to have to do many (if any) modifications to the STi to meet my autocross needs (ie, it'll be a long while before I'm good enough to tap into 100% of the car's potential). Not that I'm going to be beating on this car...I'm not competing, just autocrossing for enjoyment.
See less See more
I've altered the wishlist a bit. I got rid of XM Radio (with two cars with XM radios, the two subscriptions were getting expensive), so I'll no longer be needing an XM module.

I've added Hella Supertones to the wish list. I'll be purchasing through JNA Performance since they include the mounting bracket, and will go with the red, as it suits DGM better, IMO. I'll buy a harness through subimods.com, as I don't want to make my own harness or use the stock one.
21 - 40 of 196 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.