IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 STI that will not go into reverse! The lockout mechanism works as it should. I have got underneath the car and pulled on the lever as i had someone inside of the car trying to go into reverse and it just wont go? I have called many reputable subaru shops, they all say that they havent heard of that happening in reverse gear and it doesnt sound like it would be something internal as all other gears shift fine no grinding when i attempt to go into reverse either its just stuck like its being blocked by soemthing. Has anyone encountered this problem? Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
I have a 2005 STI that will not go into reverse! The lockout mechanism works as it should. I have got underneath the car and pulled on the lever as i had someone inside of the car trying to go into reverse and it just wont go?
Then assuming the linkage is correct since it's working for all the other gears, the issue is internal to the trans. Read of this one time. Thought it was here in the last year. Wherever it was, the OP disassembled only the rear most section of the trans and fixed it himself. I recently paid a shop to rebuild my trans, but I would try this on my own. But I am set up to be able to do it. STI trans remove and replace isn't the easiest job in the world - especially your first time and/or on the ground.

Good time to do your clutch if you think it might be warranted.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your response! I was thinking the same thing for the linkage but i removed the entire shifter assembly and found that the bushings were really stiff? Not sure if there suppose to be or not but i could barely turn the joint on one side. I saw a video of a guy assemble the back case half where the lockout pin was messed up is that what you are referring to? I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
5,432 Posts
Probably the vid, sounds familiiar. I searched here and didn't find anything.

You can remove the linkage from the shaft, put a Phillips through the bolt hole and figure out where all the gears are and if reverse "works". before you pull it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would a bent shift fork cause problems with other gears such as 5th and 6th? If i do drop the back half would i be able to access all of the internal problems reverse would have? I put a allen key though the lever and the casing hole and tried putting it into reverse with no luck there.. not sure what couldve cause this problem as i had used reverse earlier in that day with no problems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well not sure what was going on but wanted to share with anyone thats intrested. I took the car out for a drive and ended up grinding going into 5th gear now everything works as it should including reverse! First time I can say im actually happy that i grinded a gear haha.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts