IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in IL , just outside of Chicago and was wondering if it would be a good idea to undercoat my car when it arrives. We get a lot of salt on our under bellies in the winter here and I really don't want my body to rust out like my old 280Z's did' I could actually see the road through my floor before I sold it.
Then again I feel it might add a lot of weight to the car. I was thinking of having it Z-batted.
Have any of you guys had it done? What are the downsides if any besides added weight? :eek:

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Cars aren't made like they were back in the day. These days, undercoatings aren't really necessary and many times, an undercoating applied in the aftermarket may void your manufacturers rust warranty. From what I've heard, the reasoning for this.....a bad undercoating can actually trap harmful material against the metal.

Personally, just keep your car clean during the winter. It isn't like if you leave salt on the car for a few days it's just going to rust right through. As long as you blow it off quick once a week or so, you're golden.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I live just outside Chicago also and had my STi undercoated. For as anal as I am about keeping my cars clean and waxed, I seldom wash them during the winter due to the cold temps and not trusting the automatic car washes. For me it is just a little insurance. Granted like Rob said cars are made a lot better then they used to be but there are still some things that can rust. Also like he mentioned, just be carefull to not plug any of the drain holes in the doors. Mine was done through the Subaru dealership I bought the car from and they did a pretty good job of not going crazy by spraying it all over everything. I also had the sound deadener and scotchguarding done.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
STI Instrument Gauge Cluster Bezel

I plan on having the undercoating done right away, before any dirt gets on the underside of the car so I'm not really worried about voiding my warranty. I just don't like the idea of all that extra weight but the sound proofing is a plus and if I lost a few pounds everything might even out. :lol:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts