IW STi Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WEll after all those "my turbo is going to die because of a grinding thing in my bay" so Im scared and I have my friend blip the throttle up to 2000-2500 or so... i go in the engine bay... and I cant even hear it... ear up to the turbo nope.... I can BARELY hear it when Im on the driver side of the car. almost sounds like the BOV... the STOCK one. Does it or the SBC solenoid make a weird sound with slight blips of the throttle? My friend was like man what is that (As he could hear it form the cabin), but I Couldnt hear it from the engine bay... maybe its just something rattling (the sbc brain or something). Anyone have an idea?

Robert~

actually now that i think about it maynbe its like the A/c ends (which are metal) just tapping the strut bar (since you have to remove that bracket) or something... i dun know...

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well it would only happen when the car was coming down the rpms (so i guess it was something rattling as the engine shakes a little as it comes back down the rpms). It isnt doing it now... so... hopefully its nothing.

Robert~

·
Registered
302 Posts
I noticed this on my STi as well..

There's a sorta strange noise when you punch the throttle hard from idle up to about 2500-2800 rpm and then immediately let off the throttle completely.. I think everyone can reproduce this.. if you don't get it on the first try just keep doing it (hehe).

It seems like it's just the result of something rocking back as hard as it possibly can because of the momentum of throttling up hard and then letting off suddenly and completely (and probably also only because we're doing this while the engine isn't under load).

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ya... it didnt do it while i was at mcdonalds today, but it did it when i got home... it doesnt sounds like the turbo at all... it sounds like its from the bottom back area of the engine... so maybes somethings just touching? If it were bent fins then obviously it wouldnt do it for a straight hour then start doing it again... sorry to sitir up a commotion or anything, its just kinda annoying.

Robert~

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok can someone possibly shed some light on this? This is getting rediculous. All morning I tried to show it to my friend and it wouldnt make the sound if my life depended on it. Then all tonight it would do it. AT THE EXACT same RPMs EVERYTIME no matter what throttle/gear/etc... right at ~1900 rpms it would make the sound. When starting it first i let it out aroudn 1500-2000 trying to see if i could pinpoint the sound better (before wind and outta noise came into play).... and it sounded like either the clutch or differential? Could this be a wierd case of clutch jitter (its cold at night and wasnt today so .... maybe thats why it didnt do it this morning). Could it just be differential rattle? This is VERY annoying and VERY noticable. Any help would be great.

Robert~

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know on the apex-i AVC-R the solenoid makes clicking noises (solenoid closing and opening very fast) so it very well could be your boost controller.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... :( I took out the SBC-ID today and put the stock solenoid on... i also put some insulation behind the horn i moved from the strut tower bar area (as i swore that was it)... still making that grinding sound although it doesnt sound like the turbo still... that and in stock mode im only making about .05 - .06 MPa... :( So i dont know what to do now.. I emailed Dan and am hoping he has some answers.

Robert~

1 - 9 of 9 Posts