IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So took my girlfriend to see "This is the end" last night, it was a late movie, got out at 1AM. When i got back i didn't notice anything due to being too tired. However, upon waking up and looking at my car, I noticed some ass backed out and scraped the whole rear quarter panel. Even pulled it out of line a bit. What do I do? Insurance? Or just fix it myself?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Rear quarter will likely be expensive. I had an ass throw a large rock at my parked car two weeks ago. Left a dent in the rear quarter the size of a half dollar. Cost $975 to fix. I'd recommend insurance. Pay your deductible and move on.
Thanks. Its right behind the driver side rear rally armor. The plastic pins holding the bumper in place were all popped due to stress and the dick stripped it right down to the plastic. Even took a nice gauge out and replaced it with red paint. The worst part is, the car parked next to me had plenty of room, and it was a red subaru forester. Fml

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Thats why I love taking pictures of plates if im in a questionable parking situation. Sorry to hear about the damage.

As far as insurance claims go... I dont think your rates go up if its considered hit and run type stuff. So your real question is, how much is your deductable versus what its going to cost to fix.

Also... if you go through insurance they may ask for a police report which then puts an accident on your CAR FOX report.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats why I love taking pictures of plates if im in a questionable parking situation. Sorry to hear about the damage.

As far as insurance claims go... I dont think your rates go up if its considered hit and run type stuff. So your real question is, how much is your deductable versus what its going to cost to fix.

Also... if you go through insurance they may ask for a police report which then puts an accident on your CAR FOX report.
Yeah was thinking about all of this. I'll be selling the car and don't want to be set back. Im getting it fixed once i find a reputable shop. How much do you think that 1 car fax report would down grade the value of my car?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Any reasonable buyer would ignore a single carfax issue if you have documentation of the damage and take it to have it repaired by a reputable shop that does quality work. At the end of the day, issues on the carfax scare when you don't know the details. At least that's how I look at it when I'm looking at cars.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But is that the same as when i trade it in to a stealership? Because i have a good idea they will diagnose a small scratch into engine failure lol

·
Registered
431 Posts
But is that the same as when i trade it in to a stealership? Because i have a good idea they will diagnose a small scratch into engine failure lol
I had my front drivers quarter panel replaced from a hit and run when my car was parked. I reported it through the police and paid my insurance deductible to get it fixed. Took it into a dealer a few months ago to see what they would give me and as soon as the salesman pulled up that carfax "OH no your car got hit, I dunno if we can buy it for very much."

I called him out on it and basically said either your a fucking dumbass or you would realize the car is better off now than it was before the accident because it has a new quarter panel with fresh paint and a new clear bra.

So really I dont think it would matter all that much, they will bluff but for the most part they know it's fine. They will just try to use it to try to make you think your car is worth less.

Keep good pics of the damage though so you can prove it really was just a big scratch.

·
Registered
70 Posts
It is all very dependent on the buyer and everything else. I know some buyers for dealerships won't touch a car with bad car-fax for the most part. There are some that don't care at all and don't run them. Chances are that it will bring down the price. It is bulls*** I know but it is the truth. If it is a good previous repair a condition report writer won't notice but there all sorts of telltale signs of prior repairs usually. My parents own a dealership and I work at a auction so I know little about inspecting cars and the buying and selling game. Good luck with the repair. If the pins are broke then I would have to write it up as broken most likely and charge it out for a new one and all depends if they blend and what not to match it could be a expensive job.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well luckily after washing her down, the damage isn't too bad. It looked a lot worse before the wash :/ my poor baby. Oh well... Off to the body shop.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Some people don't know this, but, as long as it wasn't your fault, you can be compensated for the loss of value to a car. I know that down here in FL (with Geico), if your car is under 100k miles and doesn't have an accident, then you are eligible to get compensated for an accident to cover the loss in value due to Carfax reports.

Been in a Car Wreck? Get Reimbursed for Lost Value - ABC News

It's one of those things that you have to ask for, as they won't just pony up for it without inquiry. Might be worth the effort to talk to your insurance carrier and see about getting a check cut.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts