IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I want to be clear that this thread is aimed solely at Type RA owners and ask that only Type RA owners respond; this matter pertains solely to Type RA owners, for now. This matter may also prove to be an issue for current and future S209 owners as well if this matter is allowed to set a precedence for future limited edition models.

The issue here, like the title states, is that SoA marketed the USDM Type RA as a 1/500 car and has been quietly selling either 000/000 cars and or unnumbered Type RAs; I've provided a photo (car was being listed by Brown's Manassas Subaru, link is now dead.) link to an active unnumbered Type RA for reference:

000/000 Type RA:

Unnumbered Type RA:
https://www.bosautosma.com/details/used-2018-subaru-wrx/58728604

The only link provides both the active listing and a Carfax showing SoA is auctioning these cars off to dealers and the Carfax clearly shows this is an MFG's car.

I've contacted SoA regarding this matter and provided them proof of a 000/000 car being listed for sale, for which I was effectively told "it's not company policy to discuss internal matters". Clearly, superb customer communication.

I'm asking for your thoughts on this matter as fellow Type RA owners, what do you feel is the best course of action and to what extent do we 'collectively' feel this should be pursued - or left alone?

Personally, I'm quite disheartened by this move and I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I doubt SoA will disclose that info on the 000/000 serial numbers. Usually those pre-production cars are meant for media demo, display/promotion only/museum item or on the vehicle crushers after being used.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I doubt SoA will disclose that info on the 000/000 serial numbers. Usually those pre-production cars are meant for media demo, display/promotion only/museum item or on the vehicle crushers after being used.
Exactly, but instead of being crushed - they're actively being sold.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hope this thread doesn't go off the rails like the NASIOC threads did.

My opinion as an RA owner is that I don't know if I really care. I am technically the first owner of my car, however I didn't pay over sticker or anywhere close to $50k for it hoping it would be a collector car. So, maybe I don't feel as slighted as others. I understand the legal part that Subaru charged RA owners a premium for an exclusive car 1/500 and then is allowing the sale of a number of 000/000 cars. I can see how some would feel that the sale of more RA's would continue to drop the value of the car.

However, the sale of 5 more RA's is not what tanked the value of the the car. The fact Subaru put the RA engine and revised transmission in the 19+ STi is what tanked the value. Coupled with all the special editions that have the same RA Bilsteins, BBS wheels, and S208 Steering wheel also continue to tank the value.

What do we honestly have to gain by taking legal action if Subaru allows the sale of those 000/000 cars? Money back? Doubtful. A free oil change?

The fact is Subaru watered down the RA not by selling a few 000/000 cars, but doing what every other performance car maker does by investing a large amount of money into new performance parts, releasing them on a special model, and then allowing the tech to trickle down into base model cars to recoup costs.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Doesn't bother me a bit. That is definitely a pre-production car that is not supposed to be sold or is supposed to stay with Subaru. At the end of the day the RA is still a special car and still comes with the Carbon goodies that the other Special Edition cars dont come with.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I saw 22b serial number 000/400 for sale in Hong Kong.

So maybe is not unusual for Subaru to sell that 000/000 Type RA.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts