IW STi Forum banner
101 - 120 of 223 Posts
Ordered the Front Facing Camera assembly a few days back, and it showed up today. Quality OEM piece as usual. Also, ordered the plug and play harness from a member who sells them on Ebay.

Also, got word that the CS400 Downpipe wont work on a standard IHI turbo. So, that leaves me with the only OEM upgraded downpipe is the HKS unit that was fitted to the JDM STi TC380. At that point, its not really an OEM piece anymore. So, the new Cobb downpipe is the way I am gunna go.

Looked into the 1 piece Spec C intake manifold, but settled on the Group N TGV Deletes. Still on the search for a Group N Turbo Inlet.
lol surprised its made in china, not very jdm eh?!

I'm very interested in your build. I have a 2020 STI that I would like to upgrade the suspension on. Bu the route I want to go is actually upgrade the suspension similar to the S209 like you did. Will you be able to type the list out of the suspension parts you needed from the S209? if you could include the cost that'll be great. The Type RA's wheels are also very nice and trying to find a good deal on them. I also like the idea of putting swapping the Bilsein's withe pink shocks, that's a god ride height. Many people have the fortune auto's, KW;s with the Volk's, Enkei's, but I would like something that is comfortable and performs really well, so S209 parts I think will do the job. Good job on this build!

Discussion starter · #104 ·
I'm very interested in your build. I have a 2020 STI that I would like to upgrade the suspension on. Bu the route I want to go is actually upgrade the suspension similar to the S209 like you did. Will you be able to type the list out of the suspension parts you needed from the S209? if you could include the cost that'll be great. The Type RA's wheels are also very nice and trying to find a good deal on them. I also like the idea of putting swapping the Bilsein's withe pink shocks, that's a god ride height. Many people have the fortune auto's, KW;s with the Volk's, Enkei's, but I would like something that is comfortable and performs really well, so S209 parts I think will do the job. Good job on this build!
Here is the STi website with all of the parts. There are a few other parts that you can use like the Subframe Stoppers, Extended Bolts, Trailing Arms, and Sway Bar Bushings. I have those part numbers here in my journal. Beat price is usually JapanParts.com

Here is the STi website with all of the parts. There are a few other parts that you can use like the Subframe Stoppers, Extended Bolts, Trailing Arms, and Sway Bar Bushings. I have those part numbers here in my journal. Beat price is usually JapanParts.com

Thank you. I spent the time researching those parts last night.

How does the car ride vs maybe a setup with fortune auto coilovers and lightweight 18" wheels? I'm trying to justify doing this suspension build.

Discussion starter · #107 ·
How does the car ride vs maybe a setup with fortune auto coilovers and lightweight 18" wheels? I'm trying to justify doing this suspension build.
I basically have an S209 suspension plus all of the OEM STi/Group N bushings. Subaru designs their OEM suspenaions with balance and compliance in mind. It will never compete with a quality coilover setup. Plus you get adjustability with coils.

The S209 setup is as close as to stock ride and as close to performance balance you are gunna get. On an autox course I am the weak link, and never felt i needed coils to compete.

Overall street car that you can have fun at track events, and have mad JDM street cred go OEM/Group N

Track Car that can compete at events that you can happen drive home go coils

Discussion starter · #108 ·
Another OEM+ Upgrade to the RA this week. Installed the front facing camera. This thing is a godsend for those tight WAWA parking lots with the high curbs. My anxiety of how close the front lip is to the curb is gone now!

The whole process was very simple. I got my PnP harness on Ebay from and quality was top notch.

Discussion starter · #112 ·
Been on the fence for awhile about installing this Emblem. in 2018, STi celebrated their 30th Anniversary with the JDM only Type RA-R. Well, I like to think STi gave us our first RA in the US in 2018 for the same reason. Yea, I know the USDM RA was to celebrate the lap time at the Ring, but I digress.

I pulled the trigger, and started debadging the trunk. It was no turning back.

Discussion starter · #113 ·
After much deliberation I finally settled on a downpipe. I wanted so badly to use as many OEM parts as possible. I discovered that the Cosworth STi CS400 came with an aftermarket downpipe that was mated to the stock Garret Turbo.

I was able to find one in the UK for sale

I talked to Cosworth, Garret, and the company who made the aftermarket downpipe. I couldn't get a definite answer if that downpipe would work with the VA chassi. Some said the flange itself was cocked to allow for the larger turbo in the CS400. Basically I wasn't willing to spend $400 to find out that the downpipe wouldn't fit, or need modification.

So, I went with what I thought was the best aftermarket downpipe. The new Cobb Gesi Catted Downpipe.

Discussion starter · #114 ·
My Stage 2 upgrades are beginning to take shape. Installed the Group N Pitch Stop Mount while the Intercooler was off. Easy install.

The Group N is definitely stiffer rubber vs the stock piece.

Discussion starter · #115 ·
Stage 2+ begins. I absolutely love the new Cobb Gesi Downpipe. Quality is top notch, and hopefully fitment is as well. I am still a little grumpy I couldn't use an STi/OEM piece here, but there just isn't any options.

I did find out that the CS400 downpipe would not fit. I could have sourced an HKS downpipe from the TC380 kit, but seeing as it was also an aftermarket part I figured I would go Cobb. So this was my next choice.

Overall my Stage 2+ mods are as follows.

Cobb Gesi 3" DP
JDM S204/Group N Silicone Turbo Inlet
USDM S209 Intake System
USDM S209 Fuel Pump

Injectors I am undecided. I can go S209 to keep it OEM but they are only 750cc or so. Once I go with a larger turbo I will need to upgrade again anyway. I already have ID1000cc that a friend never used available to me already. Cant decide what to do here...

I sourced the "correct" Group N Silicone Inlet that has the correct number of vacuum ports for the later cars. I found the 5 port inlet to be hard to find. I grabbed this lightly used but dirty one a month ago. Still waiting for delivery.

Discussion starter · #116 · (Edited)
The OEM Turbo Heat Shield was not going to work with the new Cobb Downpipe. On my old Legacy GT I cut the stock piece and then used an SPT Heatshield way back in the day. I loved how that piece looked so I came up with a plan to use it on my RA.

I was given a Grimmspeed V2 Heatshield for Christmas this year. My plan is to mount that shield then mount the SPT shield over it since its more of a decorative cover than an actual shield.

If that wont work. I think I am going to drill out the rivets that hold the SPT badges onto the SPT heatshield then transfer them over to the Grimmspeed piece for a nice custom OEM+ piece.

Here is my "New Old Stock" SPT heatshield I got. The dealer said they had this on their shelf since 2008!

Discussion starter · #117 ·
Well the Group N/S202 Turbo Inlet showed up today. I was nervous, because the pictures made it look pretty worn. Finding a Group N inlet, let alone a new or lightly used one, is very tough anymore. I found that the inlets with the 5 ports are even tougher to come by. I found a few of the 4 ports for sale, but I think to make this swap perfect I needed a 5 port which came on the S202 for sure. It seems everything after had the 4 ports.

Anyway, this inlet is in amazing shape! It was just typical engine dirt, and it cleaned up perfectly.

I ordered the PCV connector from Perrin to install in the rear upper PCV port to make it an OEM connection. The BPV connection I am going to need to fab a fitting to connect the OEM BPV house. Maybe some simple aluminum pipe fittings similar to OEM.

My intake system is now 100% complete, and I can work on installing all of this once my gaskets for the Downpipe install is complete.

Discussion starter · #118 ·
Worked on test fitting the SPT heatshield today. I would have the cut the crap out of the OEM turbo heat shield, and I don't wana go down that route on this build. I did that on my Legacy GT, and this SPT heat shield rattled like hell with the lower mounting points cut off.

So I tried mounting it over the Grimmspeed V2 heat shield. That was also a fail. So, I give you my "SPT inspired heat shield." I actually think it looks pretty good.

I also received my Perrin PCV connector and mounted it in the Group N inlet got an OEM like fit.

Discussion starter · #119 ·
My Grimmspeed DP gasket, and replacement turbo exhaust housing stud finally showed up after 3 weeks. Install of the DP was a breeze. Cobb included their downpipe conversion piece to mate up to the Namless Midpipe making everything an easy install.

Sorry for the crappy pictures. The garage was super dark, and its hard to get a good angle from under the car.

Also, installed my "SPT Inspired Turbo Heat Shield"

Going to work on installing the Group N Turbo Inlet hose next, and then followed by fueling.

Fueling. Another area that has me torn on the OEM+ theme. S209 Injectors are actually 670cc according to a reputable tuner who owns an S209. Even if I was able to get a set of S209 Injectors and Fuel pump the idea of paying $300 for used injectors and fuel pump that wont give me anymore headroom to grow is a tough call.

I am leaning towards the Cobb 1050x injectors, pig tails, and the AEM 340lph fuel pump, and that kit is only $525. E85 is hard to get here in NJ, but i think it would be wise to build the car with the ability to run flex fuel in the future.

My turbo choices for the future is either a VF49 Hi Flow,VF56,VF58, or a VF48 Hi Flow. All of those turbos at best are 375whp and the 670cc S209 Injectors just wont cut it.

Discussion starter · #120 ·
Now that the Downpipe install is complete I have moved onto the Group N inlet install.

First off, I have installed turbo inlets on 2 other turbo Subarus before, and this was the most challenging. I had to cut off all the vacuum ports on the OEM inlet to get that thing out. Not to mention Subaru placed the damn BPV return hose clamp in a place you just cant get to! Anyway after an hour of pure will I removed it from the car.

Comparison of the Stock Inlet vs the Group N Inlet

The Group N inlet install literally took 1 minute. This was by far the easiest inlet I have ever installed. It fits dead nuts with nothing rubbing or interference. It slid perfectly onto the turbo with no hassle.

However, my BPV return hose is being pinched by the throttle body a bit more than I would like. My inlet didnt come with a fitting to connect the BPV hose, and the one I am using is a bit longer I think. I will work on making the line fit better tonight.

101 - 120 of 223 Posts