IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Had my eye on upgrading the Alternaor Cover to the JDM STi Forester 2.5 Cover. I picked this up when I purchased the S209 Intake. Such a simple mod, however it looks so clean in my opinion

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
So I wanted to confirm that the S209 Intake bolts directly onto a normal STi/RA with no mods. So many people kept telling me that it wont work as the S209 HKS Turbo used a 3" Inlet. Well before I scheduled a protune I wanted to take some installation pictures to verify.

Removed stock intake system.

Note the smooth transitions on the S209 Intake vs Stock

Remove these pieces from the stock air box and move them over to the S209 Intake.

Install the unique S209 fender mounting bracket to stand off

Secure lower standoff to frame rail and install cover.

Install inlet

Install the intake scoop

Overall the quality is top notch and everything bolts together perfectly. OEM FTW!!! Need to get an accessport and protune before I take any drives, but this not has me thinking about future OEM+ power mods.

So far my plans are:

STi Spec C Long Runner Intake Manifold or Group N TGV Deletes.
BRZ/GT86 Throttle Body
S209 Injectors and Fuel Pump but I would love E85 and may go Cobb.

Twin Scroll or Single Scroll will determine my exhaust upgrade path.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
Loaded my new Accessport onto the car today. I went with the 93 Stage 1 SF Intake tune. With the S209 Intake my Air Fuel Learning 1 at idle is 18 to 20. I checked everywhere for a vacuum leak, but nothing. It could me the the diameter if the MAF housing is just larger and the scaling is off. A protune will take care of that....or find a vacuum leak haha!

So far the car pulls great! No fine learn knock of any kind so far.

I also installed the JDM STi McGard lug nuts. Alot easier to install, and adds 20 STi logos to the car haha.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
I temporarily uninstalled the S209 intake tonight. I have been running the Cobb Stage 1 93 Octane SF Intake tune for the past few days and have been logging some data. Car drives great with DAM at 1 and no knock to be seen.

However, on startup and idle it runs sorta rough until the ECU adds fuel. Its running super lean at idle. Air Fuel Learning 1 is at 21%. I checked and double checked for a vacuum leak, and I found nothing. So the only thing I can think of is the MAF housing diameter is large enough of a difference in the Type RA intake vs the S209 Intake. Sure enough they are quite different.

The S209 MAF housing is 3" (Poor angle of Picture, but it is 3")

Stock intake MAF is 2.75"

Tuning Subarus, and MAF scaling is something I know little about, and I am not sure if 1/4" of an inch would cause that much of a difference, but after I swapped on the stock intake my Air Fuel Learning 1 hovers right around 5% at idle now and its smooth. So I assume a protune is definitely needed.

Kind of at a crossroads now with engine mods. To keep this build as OEM as possible I am finding I would have to make alot of compromises with fueling as even S209 Injectors are at 95% duty cycle on a stage 1 tune. So they offer almost 0 room to grow at all. Group N TGV deletes would require me to drill out mounting holes on the intake which I dont like, and a Spec C Long Runner Intake Manifold swap looks very complicated for zero gain. OEM downpipe options are limited to the factory Prodrive performance piece.

So for now maybe a Stage 1 tune will tie me over until I throw caution to the wind and go turbo upgrade.....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You should contact Mike Botti about tuning on your S209. Hes been a long time STI tuner and im sure he can adjust the tune to work for your mods. He actually has an S209 himself and hes tuned his to perfection at this point. You can find him on instagram @ stimikey He also does e-tuning if location and travel is an issue.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Thanks for the MAF diameter measurements! A 1/4" is huge in terms of MAF scaling. That translates to a ~19.2% increase in the cross-sectional area of the intake air flowing across the MAF sensor. Since the MAF sensor isn't calibrated to account for that ~20% increase, it's under-measuring the airflow and thus under-calculating the fuel required to reach the target AFR. This would result in the engine running too lean and the ECU will add fuel to compensate to achieve the target AFR in closed loop. This would result in high (positive) fuel trims/AFR Learning values.

A rough estimate is to increase the MAF values by ~19-20% and tune from there. However, Subaru already did all the heavy lifting here.. any COBB certified protuner should be able to open COBB's S209 stage 1 OTS map and just copy & paste the MAF values over. Your car should run nearly perfect on COBB's stage 1 tune after that. Very little fine tuning should be needed.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I temporarily uninstalled the S209 intake tonight. I have been running the Cobb Stage 1 93 Octane SF Intake tune for the past few days and have been logging some data. Car drives great with DAM at 1 and no knock to be seen.

However, on startup and idle it runs sorta rough until the ECU adds fuel. Its running super lean at idle. Air Fuel Learning 1 is at 21%. I checked and double checked for a vacuum leak, and I found nothing. So the only thing I can think of is the MAF housing diameter is large enough of a difference in the Type RA intake vs the S209 Intake. Sure enough they are quite different.

The S209 MAF housing is 3" (Poor angle of Picture, but it is 3")

Stock intake MAF is 2.75"

Tuning Subarus, and MAF scaling is something I know little about, and I am not sure if 1/4" of an inch would cause that much of a difference, but after I swapped on the stock intake my Air Fuel Learning 1 hovers right around 5% at idle now and its smooth. So I assume a protune is definitely needed.

Kind of at a crossroads now with engine mods. To keep this build as OEM as possible I am finding I would have to make alot of compromises with fueling as even S209 Injectors are at 95% duty cycle on a stage 1 tune. So they offer almost 0 room to grow at all. Group N TGV deletes would require me to drill out mounting holes on the intake which I dont like, and a Spec C Long Runner Intake Manifold swap looks very complicated for zero gain. OEM downpipe options are limited to the factory Prodrive performance piece.

So for now maybe a Stage 1 tune will tie me over until I throw caution to the wind and go turbo upgrade.....
Thank you for taking the time to measure everything out, I appreciate it man (I'm SatinWhitePearl, from Nasioc lol); I think I'll be best served to hold-off on this setup as I would prefer to avoid any 'mods' that require a tune, at least for now. I continue to be impressed with the OEM level build, but I guess you get to a point where you can really only get so far and aftermarket is really the only viable option and that's exactly where I feel like I'm torn. A huge part of me wants to keep my 'eventual' RA build as OEM as possible (resale?), but the other part of me is like **** that, let me get the best I can and sometimes that's merely outside of STi / OEM - depending on the items of course.

Do you think you're going to really get into modding your RA, or try to leave it as stock as possible (power wise)?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thanks for the MAF diameter measurements! A 1/4" is huge in terms of MAF scaling. That translates to a ~19.2% increase in the corss-sectional area of the intake flowing across the MAF sensor. Since the MAF sensor isn't calibrated to account for that ~20% increase, it's under-measuring the airflow and thus under-calculating the fuel required to reach the target AFR. This would result in the engine running too lean and the ECU will add fuel to compensate to get the AFR on target in closed loop. This would result in high (positive) fuel trims/AFR Learning values.

A rough estimate is to increase the MAF values by ~19-20% and tune from there. However, Subaru already did all the heavy lifting here.. any COBB certified protuner should be able to open COBB's S209 stage 1 OTS map and just copy & paste the MAF values over. Your car should run nearly perfect on COBB's stage 1 tune after that. Very little fine tuning should be needed.
Bruh!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Thanks for the MAF diameter measurements! A 1/4" is huge in terms of MAF scaling. That translates to a ~19.2% increase in the cross-sectional area of the intake air flowing across the MAF sensor. Since the MAF sensor isn't calibrated to account for that ~20% increase, it's under-measuring the airflow and thus under-calculating the fuel required to reach the target AFR. This would result in the engine running too lean and the ECU will add fuel to compensate to achieve the target AFR in closed loop. This would result in high (positive) fuel trims/AFR Learning values.

Bro, your technical knowledge never sease

Bro, your technical knowledge never fails to amaze me haha. I was thinking that whoever protunes the car could just copy those MAF scaling right over too. It ran perfectly fine under boost. However on the stock OEM tune with the intake installed it sounded like a lopey cammed big block lol

·
Registered
409 Posts
Bro, your technical knowledge never fails to amaze me haha. I was thinking that whoever protunes the car could just copy those MAF scaling right over too. It ran perfectly fine under boost. However on the stock OEM tune with the intake installed it sounded like a lopey cammed big block lol
Glad to share what knowledge I have lol. I'll probably come to you with plenty of questions once I start modifying the suspension with the S-series, STI Performance & Group N components.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
Thank you for taking the time to measure everything out, I appreciate it man (I'm SatinWhitePearl, from Nasioc lol); I think I'll be best served to hold-off on this setup as I would prefer to avoid any 'mods' that require a tune, at least for now. I continue to be impressed with the OEM level build, but I guess you get to a point where you can really only get so far and aftermarket is really the only viable option and that's exactly where I feel like I'm torn. A huge part of me wants to keep my 'eventual' RA build as OEM as possible (resale?), but the other part of me is like **** that, let me get the best I can and sometimes that's merely outside of STi / OEM - depending on the items of course.

Do you think you're going to really get into modding your RA, or try to leave it as stock as possible (power wise)?

When it comes to how I personally like yo build cars i aim to be different. My jeep CJ7 project proved that. I was adamant about keeping it AMC powered when an LS or small block chevy made more sense.

I think im gunna build the RA as close to OEM as possible up to 350whp. At that point i think is when id pull the motor and then decide if i wana do a forged setup or try and source an EJ207 and be very different.

As far as now I think i can hit 350whp all OEM.

S209 HKS Turbo or IHI VF48 HiFlow

S209 800cc Injectors.
S209 Fuel Pump
JDM Spec C Long Runner 1 piece Intake Manifold.
BRZ Larger Throttle Body
S209 Intake System
S209 Intercooler Sprayer
Group N silicone Turbo Inlet.
JDM STi Sport Mufflers
Ported and Polished Exhaust Manifold

**Prodrive Performance Downpipe
**Prodrive Performance Up Pipe

** Package which was an option on UK factory cars incase anyone didn't know about it lol.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Needed a place to mount the accessport, and decided to go with a Dialed Mounts vent mount. Overall I love the location and clean look. However, the quality was seriously lacking. Its a 3D printed piece with absolutely no finishing work. Holes to small. the nuts to secure the mount just spun as the recessed hole for them to lock into was way to small. Overall for $45 more time and care could have gone into the product IMO.

Also, my search to use only OEM performance parts continues. The downpipe was an area where I felt like there was no option. However, the Cosworth CS400 may be my answer. Technically, its a factory backed project so IMO it counts lol

I was able to source a CS400 downpipe, and it appears to be the same downpipe flange all Subarus use. Still trying to get more info. The CS400 uses a custom Garrett turbo, and not much is known about it. I may take the chance on it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Needed a place to mount the accessport, and decided to go with a Dialed Mounts vent mount. Overall I love the location and clean look. However, the quality was seriously lacking. Its a 3D printed piece with absolutely no finishing work. Holes to small. the nuts to secure the mount just spun as the recessed hole for them to lock into was way to small. Overall for $45 more time and care could have gone into the product IMO.

Also, my search to use only OEM performance parts continues. The downpipe was an area where I felt like there was no option. However, the Cosworth CS400 may be my answer. Technically, its a factory backed project so IMO it counts lol

I was able to source a CS400 downpipe, and it appears to be the same downpipe flange all Subarus use. Still trying to get more info. The CS400 uses a custom Garrett turbo, and not much is known about it. I may take the chance on it.
That's a bummer about the AP vent mount. I've heard a lot of people say good things about it, but as soon as I saw pictures of it I could tell that it was 3D printed with a "raw" unfinished texture. It looks too cheap for an OEM+ build like yours 😉. You don't have a "hella flush" wheel setup, ear bleeding single-exit Tomei exhaust, BOV, open box/hot air intake, mismatched OTS tune, etc. My AP lives in my glovebox for the most part unless I'm actively tuning my car. I'll occasionally plug it in to make sure everything is still happy.

Did Cosworth ever get back to you about the downpipe? It would be nice if they could at least verify that it's the real deal and the cell count on the cats. That would be a super nice, rare piece to add to your collection! I'm curious what the Garrett turbo specs were.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
That's a bummer about the AP vent mount. I've heard a lot of people say good things about it, but as soon as I saw pictures of it I could tell that it was 3D printed with a "raw" unfinished texture. It looks too cheap for an OEM+ build like yours 😉. You don't have a "hella flush" wheel setup, ear bleeding single-exit Tomei exhaust, BOV, open box/hot air intake, mismatched OTS tune, etc. My AP lives in my glovebox for the most part unless I'm actively tuning my car. I'll occasionally plug it in to make sure everything is still happy.

Did Cosworth ever get back to you about the downpipe? It would be nice if they could at least verify that it's the real deal and the cell count on the cats. That would be a super nice, rare piece to add to your collection! I'm curious what the Garrett turbo specs were.
I have been emailing a bunch of people at Cosworth as well as a few owners. This downpipe is in fact from the CS400, and im 99% sure will bolt up to the turbo, but down stream nobody can tell me. Also, Cosworth wont really say much for liability BS ya know. Im gunna take the shot on it.

The Turbo is apparently a mismatch of turbo parts made by Owens Development in the UK. Its a Garret center section with a Subaru exhaust housing from everything I gathered. Its apparently laggy as hell from what owners have said.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have been emailing a bunch of people at Cosworth as well as a few owners. This downpipe is in fact from the CS400, and im 99% sure will bolt up to the turbo, but down stream nobody can tell me. Also, Cosworth wont really say much for liability BS ya know. Im gunna take the shot on it.

The Turbo is apparently a mismatch of turbo parts made by Owens Development in the UK. Its a Garret center section with a Subaru exhaust housing from everything I gathered. Its apparently laggy as hell from what owners have said.
I stumbled across this dyno for a "stage 1" tuned CS400. It has a significantly better powerband than the S209. I bet the CS400's high flow 3" downpipe contributes to this. I've yet to see a stage 2 S209 dyno that would be a closer comparison.

Keep in mind these dyno #s are from the UK where they like to convert from whp to flywheel hp. This should be in the ~340-350 whp range.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
I stumbled across this dyno for a "stage 1" tuned CS400. It has a significantly better powerband than the S209. I bet the CS400's high flow 3" downpipe contributes to this. I've yet to see a stage 2 S209 dyno that would be a closer comparison.

Keep in mind these dyno #s are from the UK where they like to convert from whp to flywheel hp. This should be in the ~340-350 whp range.
Damn that curve is alot nicer than the S209. However, the CS400 has a built and balanced engine, better injectors and fuel pump, and of course a 3" downpipe. I am waiting for WideBody Nation on you tube to finish his Stage 3 build on his S209 to compare.

I talked to some owners of CS400's and they said they had headers and an up pipe, but nobody seems to know much.

In other news, ordered the front facing camera and harness for the RA

·
Registered
409 Posts
It's interesting that WideBody Nation's stage 1 tune is out of injector (95% IDC?) with just a tune. STIMikey had no issues and said that his IDC was low enough that the stock injectors will support an ELH and downpipe, but would require larger injectors to run E85.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
It's interesting that WideBody Nation's stage 1 tune is out of injector (95% IDC?) with just a tune. STIMikey had no issues and said that his IDC was low enough that the stock injectors will support an ELH and downpipe, but would require larger injectors to run E85.
Someone told me they were 800CC injectors?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Ordered the Front Facing Camera assembly a few days back, and it showed up today. Quality OEM piece as usual. Also, ordered the plug and play harness from a member who sells them on Ebay.

Also, got word that the CS400 Downpipe wont work on a standard IHI turbo. So, that leaves me with the only OEM upgraded downpipe is the HKS unit that was fitted to the JDM STi TC380. At that point, its not really an OEM piece anymore. So, the new Cobb downpipe is the way I am gunna go.

Looked into the 1 piece Spec C intake manifold, but settled on the Group N TGV Deletes. Still on the search for a Group N Turbo Inlet.

81 - 100 of 122 Posts