IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have put anti seize... but I've considered getting extended studs or getting extended studs with a more common pitch for more options on wheel lug nuts such as mcgard

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Tried to place an order through a few dealers for the S209's rear cargo area foam floor support. The S209 has a unique floor support that is molded to clear the intercooler spray tank. Well, every dealer told me that STi of Japan is not approving any orders for S209 parts unless it is warranty work. Guess the window to buy certain S209 parts has closed. Bummer.

Well, I needed to do something so I could put my race tires back there. So i made some measurements and cut my RA foam floor support. I plan to get some plastic and go back and enclose those areas I cut out.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Starting with the S207, STi in Japan uses a unique upgraded 1 piece front sway bar bushing. This bushing has been used in the S208 and now the S209. It is A LOT stiffer than stock and feels almost identical to Group N bushing hardness.

Removed front Sway Bar

Comparison between stock and the S209 1 piece bushing.

My bushing would not just slide right onto the bar without possibly deforming the bushing and ruining its integrity. So I had to come up with something.

I put the bushings into hot water for a bit to make them more pliable.

Added some Dawn Dish soap to the bar and the bushings slid right on.

Once the bushings cooled and dried they are very tight and firm to the bar.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have been following your thread and build for awhile now, like everyone else, I must say that this is one of the most impressive private build ever of ANY platform I have ever seen. The incredible effort and knowledge required, the financial dedication and the insistence of JDM/STI parts are simply nothing short of admirable. Someone from Subaru Corp and Subaru Tecnica International should get in touch with you and feature your car to show the rest of the world that Subaru enthusiasts here in the States are second to none.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I have been following your thread and build for awhile now, like everyone else, I must say that this is one of the most impressive private build ever of ANY platform I have ever seen. The incredible effort and knowledge required, the financial dedication and the insistence of JDM/STI parts are simply nothing short of admirable. Someone from Subaru Corp and Subaru Tecnica International should get in touch with you and feature your car to show the rest of the world that Subaru enthusiasts here in the States are second to none.
Thank You so much for the kind words! As the STi grows long in the tooth, and everyone is waiting for the next generation, there are still a hand full of us who crave those rare JDM and Group N parts and their build threads are probably the only active ones left on this forum!

Oh, STi of Japan has already been in contact with me......they were not happy I sourced S209 parts hahah. There are still so many OEM+ mods I plan to do yet, but for now I am enjoying tracking this car when I can and hunting down JDM parts lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Completed the S209 Intercooler System retrofit in the RA today. Still waiting on an inline check valve to make the system 100% complete.

I sourced the GR Spec C Intercooler Spray Nozzles to finish the install as S209 parts are getting harder to order directly from STi now. I then fabbed the 2 Nozzle brackets to mount the sprayers high enough to direct the spray onto the intercooler.

Overall this was a fun project that a lot of dealers said wasn't possible. Hope it makes a difference at the next track day.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Headed back to PA this weekend to finish up the interior on the CJ7 Project. It gets exhaust next week and hopefully my 31's will be in stock.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Spent Saturday at another Track Sprint/AutoX at Pocono Raceway. Another perfect day and a podium finish. Car is absolutely perfect with all the OEM+ mods. Definitely think there is room for more improvement with aftermarket swaybars and coilovers, however as it sits now its the perfect car for seat time for me to get better.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
So it always bothered me that STi for some reason does not offer an upgraded Trailing Arm Kit with the Pillow Ball bushings to match the Lateral Links and Toe Arm Kits.

I originally planned to install Group N bushings in my OEM Trailing Arms for that OEM+ goodness. Well, it turns out STi DOES offer an upgraded Trailing Arm Kit with the Pillow Ball bushings for the VA chassi. They just list it under a base model Impreza 2.0.

I was 99% sure they were the same. My daily is a 2013 Impreza 2.0i and they look identical to the ones on the RA. So i bought a set of part number ST20250MF000 from Japan Parts. Took two months and they showed up today.

Going to be installing these later next week before the next autocross. Tempted to install Group N Diff Support bushings while I am back there.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Today I worked on installing the JDM STi Rear Trailing Arms with the Pillow Ball Bushings. Not sure why STi does not list these as a performance option for the STI/WRX, but they bolt on perfectly. Install was a breeze.

Happy the whole rear end is upgraded with pillow ball bushings. The Upper Control Arm would get Group N in the future, as well as the differential bushings.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Installed a small interior upgrade today. I noticed the JDM S4 and the Levorg have Red Stitch E brake Handles. I also found out the BRZ tS has them as well as a few others. I found a used BRZ tS E brake assembly on Ebay for stupid cheap. I knews the mount was different, but I was after the handle.

Install was as simple as it looked.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
The 16 Year CJ7 Project is quickly coming to a close. I never thought I would see the day. There is not alot left to do, but a bunch of little things to get it ready for PA inspection.

Had a relative roll back the Jeep up to the exhaust shop. System came out awesome. Had a wideband bung installed so I can tune the carburetor when I want. Drove the Jeep the 8 miles home with absolutely no issues other than it runs rich now.

Also, my rare 6 lug 15x8 Laredo chrome wagon wheels came back from the polisher and I mounted them on 31x10.5 Mickey Thompson Deegan 38's

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Yesterday I acquired something I have been drooling over ever since I saw the S209 press pictures. I tried very hard to order it from a few different dealers when you could order S209 parts before they tightened up the ordering process. Never the less....I got my intake!

I have basically now have forced myself to focus on a build plan for power mods. Keeping it OEM+ is going to be fun. Twin Scroll? S209 Turbo? Send the VF48 to IHI for their factory HI Flow upgrade? For now I think a simple stage 1 Tune will be fine before I start planning long term.

Love how smooth the transitions are for the inlet piping.

Also I picked up a few other JDM bits this past week.

JDM STi Forester Alternator Cover

JDM STi Lug Nuts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Drooling... did you end up getting the intake used or through a dealer?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Got my hood back from the painter for the CJ7 Project. That is a 65 Shelby GT500 hoodscoop reversed with AMC 401 emblems on them. To me it was the crowning jewl to my build on this thing. A bunch of small things left to do as well as doors. But good god this thing is fun to cruise in.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have basically now have forced myself to focus on a build plan for power mods. Keeping it OEM+ is going to be fun. Twin Scroll? S209 Turbo? Send the VF48 to IHI for their factory HI Flow upgrade? For now I think a simple stage 1 Tune will be fine before I start planning long term.
The twin scroll IHI Performance VF49 is available now. I believe that Giorgio from Advanced Sports Engineering Lab is selling his S208 VF58 turbo setup (if he hasn't already).. just saying ;)

61 - 80 of 127 Posts