IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Installed the Group N Transmission Mount and Group N Crossmember Bushings today. Install was very easy. No more noticeable NVH from the drivetrain since the Group N Shifter and Group N Bushing added so much already. The the only time I notice a difference is the 1st to 2nd shift being a lot nicer feeling. Overall the drivetrain mods are done except for maybe a carbon driveshaft in the future.
Interesting, yeah i think im going to have to do this soon. My 1st -> 2nd has gotten pretty rough as time has gone by. Its at the point where its either very bouncy or harsh like a clutch dump lol. Might just be time to upgrade engine, trans, and pitch stop mounts lol. The daily is starting to feel like a race car if ya know what i mean lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just wanna say I love this build, I was also 14 the first time I sat in a sti back in 04 and it was my dream car ever since lol.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I just wanna say I love this build, I was also 14 the first time I sat in a sti back in 04 and it was my dream car ever since lol.
Thanks for the kind words. Its definitely fun to modify within the Subaru Parts Catalog and such. The car just feels so much better than something put together with aftermarket parts.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Not alot of updates on the RA as of late. A few track days coming up in July. I also got word my S209 Intercooler Sprayer Harness finally shipped! Looking forward to seeing if that installs

Been working my ass off trying to finish this Jeep project up before the summer is over.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Here we go!

FINALLY received my S209 Intercooler Sprayer harness. This thing was a pain to source. I tried to buy this off of 10 different dealer sites back in March only to have them call me and cancel my order. They require proof of purchase of an S209 and a valid Vin#. Dealers told me they had to personally call Subaru Japan to place the order as these are made to order. Other dealers said that this wouldn't fit a "regular" STi as the car is different.

Well, I was able to get a harness through a dealer in Ohio. Super awesome to work with and their parts girl definitely did some leg work to find out what had to be done. Between that and Covid delays the harness arrived today.

Here is the harness all laid out. The left side is the front and the right are the plugs for the reservoir in the trunk. I separated the harness to make it easier to work with.

I removed the Air bag in preparation to remove the steering wheel to install the S209 paddles that are on their way. I also verified that the RA roll connector was pinned for the CVT/Intercooler Paddles which they are.

I removed the lower steering column cover to locate the plug on the back of the roll connector that the S209 Harness Tee's into.

Here is the harness installed and tucked away. The white plug at the lower left is the plug you remove. you install the S209 harness into that spot and then install the plug that you removed into the other side of the S209 harness. Tuck everything up and out of the way and reinstall the covers.

Route the harness over to the lower kick panel to prepare to route it towards the back. Note the plug in the center of this picture. This is the only plug the RA does not have. The S209 has a unique gauge cluster with a low IC Sprayer light that has a 1 wire that connect to this plug.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Next remove the B Pillar cover and locate this plug that is stuffed into the pillar. This is the power for the rear door. The S209 harness will Tee into this plug to pick up power.

Here is the S209 harness Tee'd into the RA Harness. Route the Harness up the B pillar, connect, and then push everything back into the Pillar.

Here is the end of the front section. The rear Section of the S209 Harness plugs into this plug and is routed towards the trunk

The S209 Paddles should be here next week hopefully. Once I install them and the new steering wheel surround I can verify that everything works like it should. The 209 Service manual shows you how to use a multimeter to test the circuit. Once i verify it works I will be ordering the reservoir and the plumbing

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
First AutoX of the season yesterday, and first AutoX ever at Pocono Raceway for me. I have only ever run slower more technical courses with the RA and have always had great results. Well, my skills were definitely lacking in the high speed stuff and need to work on that. Amazing venue for sure.

Car was absolutely amazing. With all the S209 mods this car handles so neutral and easy to drive. I did however strip a wheel stud and the lug nut wouldnt come off. Had to drive 100 miles home on the RE71R's in the rain. Talk about sketchy.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The car looks great! Right at home on the track.

Reactions: Archer1.8

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Received the S209 Intercooler Spray Switches/Paddles today as well as the steering wheel back that accepts the switches. I find it funny that they just add stickers to the transmission CVT paddles lol.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
The parts pile is beginning to build up, and that is never a bad problem to have!

I have to replace 2 wheel studs on the front left of the car before anything else happens. The car is parked with my race wheels stuck on the car as the lug nuts on 2 studs galled and wont come off. Should be a fun job :rolleyes:

Ordered the 30th Anniversary STi badge. I know the RA-R was built to commemorate STi's 30th Anniversary and the RA for the NBR record. Still not sure if I want to add it to the RA or not.

I remembered my 2005 Legacy GT turbo had a power steering cooler from the factory, however it was a 1 year only thing. This same cooler was a 1 year only on the 2004 Legacy H6 Outback. People have told me this was the JDM STi GR Spec C power steering cooler when the Group N unit was not used. Not 100% sure about that. I looked into the Group N cooler, however it is not as "OEM" fitment as I want for this build.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Installed the Spec C/Legacy GT power steering cooler today. Pretty straight forward install. I just spliced into the OEM return line instead of sourcing the OEM rubber sections. Considered the Group N Unit however, on the VA Chassi it isn't as plug and play as on the GD/GR and wanted a clean install.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Installed the JDM STi Piano Black HVAC buttons today as well. Super easy install. The pictures don't do them justice.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Wow! those look great! can you point me in the right direction? where can i get them? Love the car Btw.. very tastefully done!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
After countless AutoX and Track days the OEM wheel studs were starting to show some wear. Probably should have added some lube of some kind with the constant swapping of tires. I couldn't get my RE71R's off of the front left hub without fear of breaking the studs and not getting home. Drove 100 miles home in a downpour on those tires. Not the best.

Here is the aftermath of getting the lugnuts off.

5 New Studs!! Success

Then found this in my Street [email protected]#K....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Received an S209 Intercooler Sprayer Tank from an S209 owner for me to verify electrically that everything works on the Intercooler Sprayer swap.

Everything works exactly as it should! Going to be ordering the rest of the parts today to hopefully finish this swap soon.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Installed the S209 Paddles into the RA steering wheel today. Everything was plug and play.

As S209 parts are VERY hard to get through the dealer you can get what you need if you order CVT WRX paddles. The rear steering wheel cover is also a WRX part.

Removed the steering wheel and used a piece of tape to keep the clock spring in place. Also, dont forget to mark the steering column and the wheel.

Everything laid out ready for assembly.

Everything reinstalled and aligned

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Ended up buying the IC Sprayer Tank from the S209 owner that has made this swap possible.

Bracket mounts from bottom through the drain holes.

Wired up and installed

·
Registered
707 Posts
After countless AutoX and Track days the OEM wheel studs were starting to show some wear. Probably should have added some lube of some kind with the constant swapping of tires. I couldn't get my RE71R's off of the front left hub without fear of breaking the studs and not getting home. Drove 100 miles home in a downpour on those tires. Not the best.

Here is the aftermath of getting the lugnuts off.

5 New Studs!! Success

Then found this in my Street [email protected]#K....
So a couple of questions. Do you first hand tighten or at least start the nuts on the lugs before doing an impact gun? I know that if you don't you can cross thread these lugs pretty easily (I've done it myself). Also I'd suggest that you look at ARP studs for the next time as they are rounded on the end and made stronger. We used them on our race car as we saw standard studs shear off. With all of the lateral force put on your wheels I'd think that would be a good investment.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
So a couple of questions. Do you first hand tighten or at least start the nuts on the lugs before doing an impact gun? I know that if you don't you can cross thread these lugs pretty easily (I've done it myself). Also I'd suggest that you look at ARP studs for the next time as they are rounded on the end and made stronger. We used them on our race car as we saw standard studs shear off. With all of the lateral force put on your wheels I'd think that would be a good investment.
Yep i start the lug nut by hand and then SLOWLY spin it on with my 1/4" impact until its seated. Then torque it. Even still i would get gawling. I started using a bit of lube and no issue last time.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts