IW STi Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Now that the suspension mods are basically done I am moving onto the drivetrain. Again, trying to build something of a Type RA-R for the VA chassi with this car. I love Group N parts, and I love rare parts even more. There are a few of these still floating around out there, but not many. I scored a new unopened Group N STi Shifter assembly. These were originally designed for use with the WRC Dogboxes. All solid bushings everywhere. I also have on order Group N Transmission Mount, Group N Transmission Crossmember Bushings, Group N Shifter Bushing.

The reverse lockout is now a solid 1 piece design.

Another thing I had been looking around for is a rare shift knob to go with my setup. I thought about the S209 knob, but it was a little to common. I remember the first time I sat in an STi back in 2004. I was 14. I remember the shift knob vividly. It was smaller but heavy feeling. Oh, and it was Titanium. This was an option on the GD STi's and they were not cheap. You can find them for over $250 in new shape, or for around $150 in fair shape. I found this on a Facebook Subaru Group. Its basically in new shape. The sticker at the bottom is known to be worn over time.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Once I get it installed I can give a better review. There is only 3 reviews I have found on this when being put into a street car. None were a VA chassi car lol

From my understanding this is the OEM short throw shifter that has has all rubber bushings replaced with delrin, a metal u joint, and a needle bearing in the actual shifter fulcrom.

All the reviews say that the throw isn't much shorter than stock (not sure if they had the OEM short throw to begin with) but it allowed for more precise shifts. The 2-3 shift became more accurate according to 1 review. Idk, hopefully it adds something as far as feel and a different driving experience

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
You'll feel the bushings it.

You already defined the throw - same as OEM SS since the geometry is the same.
Wish my rusty old thing looked like that!
Makes it mentally more difficult to replace the shifter section with a short shifter allowing different geometry as is commonly done.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Once I get it installed I can give a better review.

All the reviews say that the throw isn't much shorter than stock (not sure if they had the OEM short throw to begin with) but it allowed for more precise shifts. The 2-3 shift became more accurate according to 1 review. Idk, hopefully it adds something as far as feel and a different driving experience
Amazing build! Looking forward to your review of the Group N shifter.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Still waiting on my shipment from Japan Parts to arrive with all the Group N goodies for the shifter and transmission bushings. While not a JDM part I absolutely love the way the JPM Coachworks gauge surround looked on these cars. Gave it an OEM feel.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Almost all the parts for my Group N drivetrain setup has arrived from Japan Parts. The Group N Transmission mount showed up.

I went with the "000" mount over the "040" mount because a lot of people talk about the NVH that the "040" Competition Group N mount gives vs the standard Group N mount.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Added another Type RA-R modification to the RA today. The Type RA-R uses a smaller capacity windshield washer fluid reservoir to reduce weight. For those who want to say "just run the OEM reservoir empty" you may exit this thread now :lol:

Overall the JDM unit when full is 5.5lbs lighter than the USDM unit. I removed both side braces. Together complete weight savings was 15.5lbs.

The Reservoir is a 90% bolt in application. The USDM bumper beam as an added bolt on side brace the JDM version does not thave. This is removed. There is also a wiring harness that needs to be zip tied out of the way, but no big issue.

OEM USDM Reservoir

This is the wiring harness that needs to be zip tied up and out of the way. Remove the white harness channel to make room for the JDM reservoir. You can also see the USDM side brace has been removed

Here is everything in place and the reservoir filled. The pump harness electrical tape a cut back an inch or two to get it to reach the pump.

The JDM unit has a different filler neck. You need to pull out the top insert from your OEM filler neck and transfer it to the JDM unit.

These are the two diagonal side braces the USDM bumper has. I removed both for the weight savings. Only the driver side needs to be removed however.

This is the OEM USDM level sensor plug. The JDM unit does not have this. You have 2 options. Remove the sensor from the USDM unit (good luck) or add a 1ohm resistor to this plug, tape it up, and tuck away. This is what I did. When I sell the car going back to stock is easier.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
While my shipment to finish the Group N shifter install from Japanparts is sitting on a dock in Tokyo harbor for the past month I have been itching to start a new project.

I bit the bullet and ordered the Intercooler Spray Harness: ST84981VV030 for the S209.

This is the electrical harness that connects to the back of the roll center plug on the steering wheel and then goes back to the sprayer tank. I am certain that the paddles plug in no issue, but wanted to make sure the chassi harness install was as straight forward as I think it will be before I bought all of the parts for the swap.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Still waiting for my Group N Shifter Bushing and Group N Transmission Crossmember bushings to show up. Still stuck in Japan until this is virus is over. I broke down and bought another Group N Bushing from Subispeed and should be here this week which will allow me to install the Group N shifter at least. Also, waiting on the S209 Intercooler Sprayer Assembly.

In the mean time this JDM piece showed up today. I always liked the old school carbon strut bars the GC8's came with that had this sticker on the bar.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Went for another cruise up the Delaware Scenic Byway and past the Hawks Nest a few days ago. Stopped at a few breweries that were open for some tastings!

Car handles awesome on mountain roads. Very curious how this setup will be once AutoX season starts. I am very tempted to upgrade the swaybars to an aftermarket setup.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
With all this quarantine stuff going on I have gotten a lot done on the CJ7 project when I have been back in PA for a few days at a time. Currently the windshield and tailgate are at paint. Still need to wire up the heated seats and a few other small odds and ends.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Installed the Group N Shifter Assembly and STi Group N Rear Shifter bushing today. This is a modification i always dreamed about doing for years. Nobody installs this because of the price and rarity. Which I think is why I wanted it so much. But, what about the performance?

All I can say is WOW! The all mechanical linkage makes it feel like a mechanical gated shifter. Its so hard to explain how precise everything is. If you can find one the premium is DEFINITELY worth it.

I have heard horror stories from some about knocking out the split pin to install the solid U joint. Hopefully these pictures help you out, but I think this whole job took 2.5 hours.

Disassembly

Remove the Clamshell that the lower shifter stay slides into to make room to get to the Split pin

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Wow just love this journal and the path you've taken in modding this car. Simple yet so clean and very functional. Every mod here has a purpose to an already factory tweaked car. The more and more i see your Group N post, the more it makes me want to go that route aswell for my GV. I originally planned on going with Super Pro engine, trans, and pitch stop mounts all together since i already have a couple of other Super Pro. But after seeing this stuff, i think im going to go for the Group N stuff, especially since it dont really want to add any more NVH, to an already rough GV.

I know your car is fairly new and in excellent shape but were you able to tell the differance when you upgraded to the Group N trans mounts?

Also huge (y) for posting the part numbers on all the goodies!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Wow just love this journal and the path you've taken in modding this car. Simple yet so clean and very functional. Every mod here has a purpose to an already factory tweaked car. The more and more i see your Group N post, the more it makes me want to go that route aswell for my GV. I originally planned on going with Super Pro engine, trans, and pitch stop mounts all together since i already have a couple of other Super Pro. But after seeing this stuff, i think im going to go for the Group N stuff, especially since it dont really want to add any more NVH, to an already rough GV.

I know your car is fairly new and in excellent shape but were you able to tell the differance when you upgraded to the Group N trans mounts?

Also huge (y) for posting the part numbers on all the goodies!

Thanks for the kind words! I feel the RA and S209 should be modded as closely as possible to OEM+ as possible. My opinion tho haha.

Well, my group N transmission Crossmember bushings are FINALLY shipping from Japan. So I didn't install those or the Group N trans mount yet.

I did Install the Group N STi Rear Shifter bushing. There is now a whine in low gears from the trans. I personally like it. Nothing obnoxious, but its definitely there. I don't know if the solid points on the Group N shifter added to this whine as well. Im gunna install the other parts and keep yall updated.

Drove the car pretty hard today. This shifter is amazing. Its all I can say.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
^^ Yes i also agree that OEM + is the way to go with the RA and S209 if you're going to mod. Anything else besides that, one should have gotten a regular STI. Thats just my opinion after all.

Yeah pretty much all the rear shifter bushings will make that gear noise to be more noticible/louder. I myself went with the kartboy front and rear shifter bushings a couple of years ago and i dont mind the noise at all, i kind of like it. I kept the stock shifter assembly as i dont really care for short throw shifters. I think a weighted shift knob and shifter bushings really gives a nice feel for daily driving.

I'll be watching and waiting to see your input about the Groupe N trans mounts and bushings after install.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
^^ Yes i also agree that OEM + is the way to go with the RA and S209 if you're going to mod. Anything else besides that, one should have gotten a regular STI. Thats just my opinion after all.

Yeah pretty much all the rear shifter bushings will make that gear noise to be more noticible/louder. I myself went with the kartboy front and rear shifter bushings a couple of years ago and i dont mind the noise at all, i kind of like it. I kept the stock shifter assembly as i dont really care for short throw shifters. I think a weighted shift knob and shifter bushings really gives a nice feel for daily driving.

I'll be watching and waiting to see your input about the Groupe N trans mounts and bushings after install.
I am too. The Crossmember Bushings arrived today so maybe next weekend i will get around to it.

Future Mods coming up are Group N Engine and Pitch Stop Mounts. While not OEM+ i really want a carbon fiber drive shaft to finish off the Drivetrain mods for now.

Preparing for AutoX season and Track Days once they start I am sourcing the STi JDM 6pot/2pot Stainless Brake lines paired with some 2 piece rotors and pads.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Installed the Group N Transmission Mount and Group N Crossmember Bushings today. Install was very easy. No more noticeable NVH from the drivetrain since the Group N Shifter and Group N Bushing added so much already. The the only time I notice a difference is the 1st to 2nd shift being a lot nicer feeling. Overall the drivetrain mods are done except for maybe a carbon driveshaft in the future.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts