JDM STi "Aerospace Division" Decal

Interior
JDM STi Extended Armrest
JDM STi Titanium Shift Knob
JPM Coachworks Alcantara Gauge Hood

AutoX and Track Days
18" BBS Raijin
245/35/18 Bridgestone Potenza RE71R

Picked up my 5th Subaru, and 1st STi on May 9th, 2019 with 7,000 miles. Subaru never brought an STi Type RA-R to the States. With the US finally getting the S209, the Type RA-R is one of the only special editions we never got. My goal for this car is to replicate a Type RA-R with using as many STi and Group N parts I can with a few other upgrades as well.

Summer of 2019 AutoX

Took the RA for its first Autocross Points race of the year. I missed the first 2 sessions because of the rain dates, but finished 2nd overall in B-Street. Ended up going with a set of RE71R's for the season.

Wicked Big Meet/New England Road Trip

Been a great summer with the car. Took a trip up to New Hampshire and Vermont and drove some amazing roads and stopped in at Wicked Big Meet.

Top of Mount Washington

Spent a few days Claying and Waxing the car.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My goal for this car was to make it as close to the JDM Type RA-R as I could. Trying to use as many oem upgraded parts as I can along the way.

JDM Battery Hold Down

Took a break from mods to put front brakes and rotors on the daily.

JDM S208 Rear Lateral Links. I also installed Whitelines rear subframe lockdown kit.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ordered a whole bunch of S209 Parts direct from my local dealer. It took awhile to get the rear draw stiffener, but it finally came. I installed:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Received my JDM S208 extended Subframe bolts and Subframe Stopper. These bolts are longer and thicker on the non threaded part. The idea is that all of the "S" series cars are handmade, and greater care can be taken to align the subframe to the body with less room for error. When this is done on the assembly line there needs to be some wiggle room.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Spent the past week or so slowly doing some paint correction on the RA. Just needed a basic clay, wax, and polish. I am no pro and am constantly learning about automotive detailing. Its definitely therapeutic.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I wanted to upgrade the exhasut on the car since I got it. I wasn't sure which route to go since I am trying to keep this as JDM/OEM as possible. My options were the STi performance exhaust, S209 Mufflers, and the rare JDM Sport exhaust. Well I didn't want the STi Performance exhaust as it is technically more restrictive than the OEM Type RA/19+ exhaust. So that left me with very limited options as the S209 mufflers are $$ and the JDM Sport Mufflers are $$$$.

Browsing the classifieds on NASIOC I came across this combo of the Namless 3" midpipe and the JDM Sport Mufflers. Made and offer, and drove to Maryland to pick everything up!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Was going to let the car fund cool for a bit after picking up the JDM Exhasut. Well, a former Type RA owner and current S209 offered me his S209/Type RA-R fog covers. These were absolutely on my short list of mods. Couldn't pass up the deal on bought them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Was able to work with Japan Parts and have them source the JDM STi Type RA-R lightweight Windshield Washer Bottle. I filled both bottles and weighed them. The RA-R bottle when full weighs 5lb less. 13lbs compared to 8lbs.

It will work on the USDM cars, however some modifications are needed.

The JDM Piece does not have a level sensor in it, and would requiring swapping the level sensor which is a PITA. That oem sensor wouldn't come out of the USDM bottle.

The other problem is the USDM Bumper beam is different than the JDM one. The USDM Beam has this extra brace that is just bolted on to triangulate the brace and the frame rail. You need to remove the front brace to remove this brace. If I ever have the front bumper off, then I may remove this brace. But for now I did not install the bottle.

·
Registered
319 Posts
hahah nice. I will never get why people get angry about how other people choose to spend their money.

I think it's a a fun project you've got going on. (y)

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Installed the final Suspension pieces from the JDM/STi parts catalog. Flexible Rear Subframe Support Brace, S208 Subframe Bolts and Stoppers, and Flexible Front Strut Bar

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Someone was parting out an S209 on Ebay recently. Spoke to them, and the owner is modding it for track use and was selling off some parts.

I had the JDM STi Rear Control arms, but not the Toe Links. Scored these for an awesome price. Alignment is totally out, but I scored some other S209 goodies I am waiting on for a total alignment.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Made a deal on a set of S209 Bilsteins with the STi Pink Lowering Springs. They have 1000 miles on them, and I got them for a killer deal. Will take some comparison pictures of the Type RA Setup and the S209 Setup when the arrive. Cant decide if I want to get aftermarket camber bolts while I am at it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My S209 Struts and Springs showed up. I found it interesting that the STi Pinks that come on the S209 dont actually have "STi" printed on them. The previous owner apparently had the one strut apart to "take a 3D image" of the top hat to make an adjustable one. He forgot to reinstall the dust boot. So I ordered a new one.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
With all this Covid-19 stuff going on my work as a power plant operator has been considered "essential." We are operating on a skeleton crew at the plant, and I have had a lot more free time since all capital projects are on hold.

One of my pet projects for my Type RA-R themed build was to figure out if the S209 intercooler spray system would simply just plug and play into the existing harness of the RA. It turns out it does! Well, 95%

The S209 as a different Instrument Cluster that has the warning light for the low I/C Tank Level. This plug just wont be used. No biggie.

All of the parts for the swap can be bought directly through Subaru. If you shop around for the best prices it comes out to be around $700.

Intercooler Spray Harness: ST84981VV030
Intercooler Spray Hose (Front): ST86688VV010
Intercooler Spray Hose (Rear): ST86688VV020
Intercooler Spray Tank Assembly: ST86669VV000
Intercooler Spray Paddles: ST34329VV000
Intercooler Spray Paddle Column Trim: 34317VA010
Intercooler Spray Nozzle Kit: ST57253VV080

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I had originally planned on ordering a set of STi Pinks for the Type RA Bilsteins. While searching for parts on ebay I almost spit my coffee out when I saw a set of S209 Bilsteins and Pink 10mm STi springs for sale. Made an offer, and they were on their way.

Before

After

Impression. The 10mm drop is perfect for my taste. The car is flat in the corners compared to stock. The ride quality is unchanged. Overall, with all of the S209/JDM Bracing and Suspension the car is very precise and flat without be harsh when you dont need it to be.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts