Discussion Starter #1
Hope introduction posts are allowed here

Flickr

2018 WRX STi Type RA #228/500 in WRB
I picked up this April 2018
192 miles
All stock
This is my second STi, fifth Subaru

Just thought I would share my passion/addiction with you guys/gals! I am excited to be a part of a new Subaru community :)

I have a 2004 SSM Outback 5MT daily as well

Attachments

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Best of luck from #225 --- almost 21k miles of smiles on my car........picked up 4/7/18. Get yourself a good alignment - always the best/first mod for an STI. :):)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Best of luck from #225 --- almost 21k miles of smiles on my car........picked up 4/7/18. Get yourself a good alignment - always the best/first mod for an STI. :):)
I'll second the alignment recommendation. Mine started pulling to the right after the first tire rotation. Rear toe was far enough out that the dealer ended up replacing those tires due to the uneven wear on them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
My 2016 STI limited I bought new in 2016 has 17 thousand miles on it, if I was betting then this thing will have less than a thousand miles on it during that same three year period. Don't think he will be driving this one much.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I would be terrible at having a collector's car because I love driving my cars :)

Although, I'm not sure how well Subaru's latest limited production, special edition cars will hold their value compared to a standard '19 STI.

'15 Launch Edition - 1,000
'16 Series HyperBlue - 700
'18 Type RA - 500
'19 Series Gray - 250
'19 S209 ~200-250
'20 "Series White" - 250 (according to TorqueNews)

I saw a '18 Type RA with 5k miles recently sell for $42k (MSRP $50k). I suspect that its value will be hit the hardest given the steep MSRP:
  • The S209 will be more sought after (rarer, faster, etc.)
  • The '19 Series Gray is basically the same as the Type RA minus the BBS wheels, CF roof & CF spoiler. It has a $10k lower MSRP and lower production numbers.
  • The '19 STI gets all of the drivetrain improvements of the Type RA and has the optional Recaro package for over $10k less.
Don't get me wrong.. I would buy a used Type RA, but I wouldn't make it a garage queen in hopes that it would appreciate in value some day. I would enjoy driving it :) But I've never been one to treat my cars as a financial investment.. nor do I have the resources to be a "collector". Just do what makes you happy!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've already put money down on the S209 and I don't intend for it to be a garage queen. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to drive it across the country, but I'm sure I will drive it to work at least once a week (52 miles, mountain roads).
It's like having a supermodel wife and not having "fun" LOL

·
Premium Member
5,234 Posts
I've already put money down on the S209 and I don't intend for it to be a garage queen. . . . but I'm sure I will drive it to work at least once a week (52 miles, mountain roads).

It's like having a supermodel wife and not having "fun" LOL

I know you wrote at least, but once a week is like having a super model wife and only takin her out on Fri night . . . 50 whole miles! Half my daily commute - though I'm am sure the mountain roads are more fun than what I travel.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I know you wrote at least, but once a week is like having a super model wife and only takin her out on Fri night . . . 50 whole miles! Half my daily commute - though I'm am sure the mountain roads are more fun than what I travel.
I'd like to keep the miles low, but yeah 52 miles is one-way for me too.
Who knows, maybe it will turn into my daily :lol:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
My Type RA is my daily. I never bought it with the intent of leaving it in the garage. I'm currently at 13K miles after 14 months. I have also done some modification (exhaust and Flex Fuel kit). I have kept all my stock parts so the car can be returned to 100% OEM when desired.

-Craig

·
Registered
69 Posts
TBH this isn't always true or a rule. For example the limited edition STi in 2007 is worth less than a regular 2007 STi . The other thing is the newer sti are not holding there value, they're just not as analog and driver focused as the GD series hence why my GD is worth more than most STi until 2017 new models that haven't had much time to depreciate. Either way don't buy an sti for resale or investment purposes the only cars that go up are special edition super cars mainly Ferrari and Porsche. My two cents

·
Registered
69 Posts
I d hold in to it if you are trying to see any appreciation. The new STi has a different engine so maybe if the new one isn't received as well like new STI usually are and this one is supposedly even more comfortable and daily drivable to appeal to more customers so maybe that will help appreciate your car if new STI is not what everyone is looking for but if you need cash now sell it right now because it will depreciate a little bit before it appreciates if it's going to but my 2007 with 63 k I just got offered 32 for it so the STi market it's quite interesting again my two cents. Very nice looking car

·
Registered
500 Posts
I d hold in to it if you are trying to see any appreciation. The new STi has a different engine so maybe if the new one isn't received as well like new STI usually are and this one is supposedly even more comfortable and daily drivable to appeal to more customers so maybe that will help appreciate your car if new STI is not what everyone is looking for but if you need cash now sell it right now because it will depreciate a little bit before it appreciates if it's going to but my 2007 with 63 k I just got offered 32 for it so the STi market it's quite interesting again my two cents. Very nice looking car
32 grand for a 2007, should have taken that and ran...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts