IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never purchased a Subaru before, but I'm curious whether fully synthetic or dino oil will be provided to the buyer from the factory... 2003 WRX owners: Did you get fully synthetic oil? How about gear oil? Red or Green Coolant? I know, I know, I'm picking, but still curious.

The more and more I read up on turbos... the more interested (meaning anxious) I'm getting. I'm #2 on my dealers list, so we'll see what happens. Haven't been contacted about colors or options yet though. :(
Good article at: http://www.turbonation.com/turbo.htm
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
The WRX does not come with any synthetics. As far as gear oil goes, it's been reported that switching synthetic in the tranny actually worsened the synchro failure problem that some had been experiencing. You also need to be carefull with the differentials since they are limitted slip devices and may require a friction modifier or other specific compounds to work properly.

I am opposed to selling a new car with synthetics in it already simply because I feel the car does not "break in" properly with synthetics. Put simply, they're too slippery. There is a certain amount of wear that needs to occur for rings to seat properly. This is why I usually go with natural oil until my 10k mile change, when I switch to Amsoil synthetic.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,816 Posts
I agree 100% with JB. This is the same technique used on sport bikes. Use the factory oil (whatever it is..probably dino) for AT LEAST the recommended break-in. Possibly even after towards the 5000 mile mark, then switch to synthetics.

I'm switching to synthetics after break-in b/c a turbo charged car is a perfect candidate for the extra money synthetics bring. Used for higher temps, harder to break-down, coats really well, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
The old break-in requirements have changed dramatically with laser tolerances, new materials, etc. I would have no problem having 5-30 Mobil 1 from mile 1, and will do so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wheel Locks

jbhebert said:
The WRX does not come with any synthetics. As far as gear oil goes, it's been reported that switching synthetic in the tranny actually worsened the synchro failure problem that some had been experiencing. You also need to be carefull with the differentials since they are limitted slip devices and may require a friction modifier or other specific compounds to work properly.

I am opposed to selling a new car with synthetics in it already simply because I feel the car does not "break in" properly with synthetics. Put simply, they're too slippery. There is a certain amount of wear that needs to occur for rings to seat properly. This is why I usually go with natural oil until my 10k mile change, when I switch to Amsoil synthetic.

Just my thoughts on the subject.
Agreed totally with not touching the differentials. Probably requires the addition of certain limited slip compounds at a pre set ratio to make it work.

As for the transmission I was unaware that people were having synchro problems. Is this due to speed shifting and track use? Can't be normal wear and tear. From what I've read in the mags the WRX has a stout clutch tranny combo...

I was thinkin Amsoil 0w-30 series 2000 personally. Should mix well with the turbo. 5 Quarts is going to be the engine capacity... shouldn't be too bad. What kind of milage changes are we looking at with a turbo'd engine? 8K? 6K? 10k?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
JB is right for the breaking that would not be properly done using synth oil right at the beginning but it depends of the company... When I purchased my 2002 Z06, it was coming with synth oil and the engine has already had a break-in period. Same thing for Viper, Porsche GT2 and a lot of other cars. Maybe Subaru would have done the same but it's ok to use regular oil until the first oil change. For sure, if I get the STi, after the 1st oil change I will switch to synth oil.

Sylvain
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
986 Posts
I switched to Redline synthetics at around 10k miles on my WRX. I have not noticed any adverse effects. Gearshift got a bit less notsier.

If I get an STi I will do the same after break in. Which by the way they are various opinions how long should be.

Cheers

Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
new_sti_lvr said:
Agreed totally with not touching the differentials. Probably requires the addition of certain limited slip compounds at a pre set ratio to make it work.

As for the transmission I was unaware that people were having synchro problems. Is this due to speed shifting and track use? Can't be normal wear and tear. From what I've read in the mags the WRX has a stout clutch tranny combo...

I was thinkin Amsoil 0w-30 series 2000 personally. Should mix well with the turbo. 5 Quarts is going to be the engine capacity... shouldn't be too bad. What kind of milage changes are we looking at with a turbo'd engine? 8K? 6K? 10k?
I have one of the first MY02 WRX's, and my first gear synchro was pretty well shot at 20k miles. I do not abuse the clutch or tranny and double clutch and rev match at all times. The standard WRX tranny is not adequate for the car. End of story. This is why Subaru had to pull all the replacement clutches, gears, and synchros from inventory and redesign them. I've been waiting for a clutch for my car (clutch chatter problem) for 6 months. The dealer couldn't get one if they wanted to. They have to wait for the redesign.

As for oil intervals, Amsoil recommends every 7500 on a high performance vehicle, which is what I will do.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
jbhebert said:
I have one of the first MY02 WRX's, and my first gear synchro was pretty well shot at 20k miles. I do not abuse the clutch or tranny and double clutch and rev match at all times. The standard WRX tranny is not adequate for the car. End of story. This is why Subaru had to pull all the replacement clutches, gears, and synchros from inventory and redesign them. I've been waiting for a clutch for my car (clutch chatter problem) for 6 months. The dealer couldn't get one if they wanted to. They have to wait for the redesign.

As for oil intervals, Amsoil recommends every 7500 on a high performance vehicle, which is what I will do.
I am in the same boat as you man, although the dealer isn't acknowledging the issue yet. I have clutch chatter, etc. The clutch/tranny combo on the MY02 WRX is nothing to write home about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
is that climate control?

okie i gotta ask you guys with the early WRX how is that sound coming out? and in what gears? my friend has a 02 wrx and he says he gets some grinding noises when coasting under engine load around 3-4 grand and just letting it fall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,816 Posts
I know i'll be using mobil 1 European Car Formula 0-40 mmmm
Why the European Car Formula? Why 0-40W? Just curious why you would choose this over a 5W-30. Also, have you checked out Amsoil oil? They've done tests and have beaten both Redline and Mobil1.

www.amsoil.com
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
The clutch chatter issue wasn't hard to get resolved with my dealer. They took it for a spin when it was cold and said, "Yup, we'll replace it". The syncho problem is another story. They told me, "Subaru does not recommend downshifting into first gear when the car is moving." I told them that was BS, but they won't budge on it. It is first gear only; my other synchros seem to be fine. I get the "Subaru wail" whenever I decelerate in 1st gear. This seems to be common and is possibly related to the synchro, but I'm not certain. Since I rev match and double clutch going into first, it coult be a straight cut gear and not matter. However, when someone else drives the car who has driven cars with decent trannys, they always grind first trying to downshift into it. It's an annoyance that the 6 speed has supposedly resolved. If I were keeping the WRX, I would likely install a set of aftermarket synchros and be done with it. Or find a 6 speed out of a wreck. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
My clutch chatter is felt as much as it is heard. The thing about not going into first has got to be bunk, and its not in the owner's manual either ;)

My clutch chatter is mainly when its cold as well. I'll bug them about it again, get them to keep the car overnight. Is the clutch what you got replaced? I just don't want to end up shelling out for a new transmission or something ...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
91TB78 said:
I know i'll be using mobil 1 European Car Formula 0-40 mmmm
Why the European Car Formula? Why 0-40W? Just curious why you would choose this over a 5W-30. Also, have you checked out Amsoil oil? They've done tests and have beaten both Redline and Mobil1.

www.amsoil.com
I would have a bigger range with a 0-40 over a 5-30

better cold start protection and higher breakdown number so :) Ive used Mobil1 for 10 years in every car ive owned and it has a cool name sponsors F1 :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
D$ said:
My clutch chatter is felt as much as it is heard. The thing about not going into first has got to be bunk, and its not in the owner's manual either ;)

My clutch chatter is mainly when its cold as well. I'll bug them about it again, get them to keep the car overnight. Is the clutch what you got replaced? I just don't want to end up shelling out for a new transmission or something ...
Yes, it's felt as well as heard. And the clutch WILL be replaced, when the new parts are available. Like I said, Subaru yanked all the old style clutches from inventory until the redesign comes out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
575 Posts
they might but the difference between 40 and 50 isnt that big, the 40 handles enought temperature that i dont think i will surpass, if thats the case then i believe ive seen 5-60 :)

i am very keen on having the 0 viscousity for cold starts...
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top