IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm thinking about jumping into another STi and it's going to be a S209 or Type RA. I used to have a 2015 LE but was pretty much forced to sell it back in 2016 when I had no garage and a very long commute to work. Now that I have purchased my own home that has a garage and back to working from home, I'd like to enjoy another Subaru.

What is everyone's thoughts on the Type RA and S209? There is a Type RA for sale locally at 47k with less than 900 miles and it's in White which is my primary color choice. I don't plan on modifying the car other than an ETS CBE but that's a huge maybe.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I tend to think that neither is really worth the premium, but if you're more of a limited edition, "collectible" car kinda guy, I think the 209 is clearly the more "special" of the two.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Go S209 as it will surely be a more collectible car.
If I was able to get my hands on a S209 I would almost never drive it and that bothers me, the RA I wouldn't mind using as a daily driver but honestly wouldn't pay 47k for it at the same time.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I used to have a 2015 LE but was pretty much forced to sell it back in 2016 when I had no garage and a very long commute to work.
:( :( :( Why'd you sell it? only reasons I can think of are don't actually like driving it or can't afford it. :( :( :(

Just sayin, lack of a garage or long commute is not a reason not to drive a car you at least really like if not love. In fact there was a period of a couple years when I yearned just to be in it after work. I was only 55 then :)

Coming from someone who personally put over 300K on two GDs over a dozen years. That's two hours or over 100mi each working day. Finally, last year I built a sort a "dream garage" - as much as to have a place to work as storage. Just passed "occupancy"" inspection on Fri. I could owned an M whatever, or and e something or other instead, but I really like my STI - even realizing it is old and outdated.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:( :( :( Why'd you sell it? only reasons I can think of are don't actually like driving it or can't afford it. :( :( :(

Just sayin, lack of a garage or long commute is not a reason not to drive a car you at least really like if not love. In fact there was a period of a couple years when I yearned just to be in it after work. I was only 55 then :)

Coming from someone who personally put over 300K on two GDs over a dozen years. That's two hours or over 100mi each working day. Finally, last year I built a sort a "dream garage" - as much as to have a place to work as storage. Just passed "occupancy"" inspection on Fri. I could owned an M whatever, or and e something or other instead, but I really like my STI - even realizing it is old and outdated.
I paid for the car in cash, so it wasn't an affordability issue. I loved driving the car but the 1hr commute to work one way in traffic was taking a toll on me mentally. I really like the S209 but it looks like those are near 70k after taxes...

·
Registered
264 Posts
The chances of getting a S209 will be extremely low especially if you have any kind of budget.

The S209 will be rare and difficult to reserve as they're only making ~200 units. I've seen a few sources state that MSRP is expected to be close to $65k. Expect to see high dealer markups given the low production numbers.. likely higher than the $10k+ that the Focus RS and Civic Type R were known for. That is unless SoA does a lottery like they did in Japan for the S208.

While I love the concept and rarity of the S209, I would never be able to spend $60-75k on a STI. That's almost double what I spent on my '19 STI with the Recaro package. There are so many other great cars for that price. I'd probably get a GT350 and a daily beater for that kind of money. But to each their own.. if you have the financial resources, buy what makes you happiest :tup:

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I paid for the car in cash, so it wasn't an affordability issue. I loved driving the car but the 1hr commute to work one way in traffic was taking a toll on me mentally. I really like the S209 but it looks like those are near 70k after taxes...
Not sure what that means. I can imagine issues - I couldn't drive stick for most of a year when I shattered an ankle. I've had periods where I had an back problems and I virtually cried driving my car - both from pain, and from the thought I might have have to stop driving my car. Thats not exactly what you wrote.

OK - I just added a reason - a real issue driving the car.

·
Premium Member
5,202 Posts
I cant imagine paying 70K for any STI that doesn't produce over 550AWH (on E85) - seriously - and I'm as much about handling as I am about power. Anyway seriously - I'm pretty sure there are nicer faster cars for that kind of money. I paid $15K for my STi. I'm sure I have another $25K into - a lot of which can be counted as maintenance. But my car is a beater. It's not "nice" - at all. It's 14 years old. It lived outside for most of it. it has over 230K on it . . .

I don't think the S209 is going to ride very well if thats an issue - but if you want the highest performance stock STi that's it. But, that's all it is. It doesn't come close to what you could have done to a recent used STI for that kind of money.

I'd like an S209 - it's just not going to happen - but it wouldn't stay stock anyway.

ADDED: My only real point is that SOA/STI is charging an awful lot for the performance you get - and I'm not saying it's worthless - it's all good stuff - but why go through the trouble of a different pistons and turbo and not add real power . . . That said I fully agree with what STINick wrote below: "if you have the financial resources, buy what makes you happiest "

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The chances of getting a S209 will be extremely low especially if you have any kind of budget.

The S209 will be rare and difficult to reserve as they're only making ~200 units. I've seen a few sources state that MSRP is expected to be close to $65k. Expect to see high dealer markups given the low production numbers.. likely higher than the $10k+ that the Focus RS and Civic Type R were known for. That is unless SoA does a lottery like they did in Japan for the S208.

While I love the concept and rarity of the S209, I would never be able to spend $60-75k on a STI. That's almost double what I spent on my '19 STI with the Recaro package. There are so many other great cars for that price. I'd probably get a GT350 and a daily beater for that kind of money. But to each their own.. if you have the financial resources, buy what makes you happiest :tup:
I'm thinking the S209 will be near 80k with the markup after TTL. I'm trying to work out a deal for the CWP being sold here in SD. What would you guys say is a fair price for a Type RA with 900 miles?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I'm thinking the S209 will be near 80k with the markup after TTL. I'm trying to work out a deal for the CWP being sold here in SD. What would you guys say is a fair price for a Type RA with 900 miles?
Invoice price for the Type RA was around $46k. I believe quite a few of them sat on the lots for a while. Given that the '19 STI and STI Series Gray (limited edition) received a lot of the same parts, I'd say that it lowers the value of the RA. The value will drop further once the S209 is released.

Ultimately, it's worth whatever you're willing to pay. There are between 15-20 for sale on autotrader with prices ranging from $43k-50k. Depending on how long it's been for sale, I'd probably start negotiating at low 40s and go from there.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Type RA and S209 should not be compared against one another. Regarding the S209, if you have access to one and find the asking price to be acceptable, then the S209 is the car you should buy. The people that likes to talk about buying a STI and tune it etc. are completely missing the point of these type of cars. The second you bring "tuning" into a comparison, the conversation is pretty much done because "tuning" is an unpredictable variable with multiple possible outcome. Cars like the S209 is about performance straight out of the box, unmolested from the factory/dealership directly to your garage. And no, I am not a fanboy nor am I under any illusion that it is the "greatest car ever" because it isn't. It is and will be an unique exercise by Subaru Technica International for this current era similar to the 22B in its own era.

If you do decide on buying a S209, please drive it and use the car as a daily driver. Owning a S209 and not drive it is like dating a virgin supermodel girlfriend and never sleep with her so she can sleep with the next guy she dates.

·
Registered
935 Posts
im more excited for S209 short blocks to be available. Wonder how much those will cost from Subaru. and I am curious the piston material they used. I am thinking its a 4032 forged piston

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
im more excited for S209 short blocks to be available. Wonder how much those will cost from Subaru. and I am curious the piston material they used. I am thinking its a 4032 forged piston

If subaru releases the S209 short block for mass production that will be the ultimate smack in the face to the S209 and Type RA owners. Along with the hefty price tag they paid for those cars. Just my two cents.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
If subaru releases the S209 short block for mass production that will be the ultimate smack in the face to the S209 and Type RA owners. Along with the hefty price tag they paid for those cars. Just my two cents.
just like they did with type RA

1 - 20 of 66 Posts