IW STi Forum banner

401 - 420 of 577 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Nice Tyler! I had one as a rental for a couple days a short while ago and it felt rather quick... i was wondering how it would stack up.... it felt like it would be close.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #402
Nice Tyler! I had one as a rental for a couple days a short while ago and it felt rather quick... i was wondering how it would stack up.... it felt like it would be close.
I'll be honest. I brake boosted a bit. He honked. He also has the automatic. 60mph in 3rd while brake boosting the car gets happy to jump pretty quickly. Once the 3rd honk hint I jumped out almost a full car on him and after that just continued to pull away. Those cars come with what 455hp? Which at around 5000ft the car is probably 360-370whp, and weighs more than my STI. So makes since why I put the distance on him that I did.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #403
After going back and forth. I listed the STI for sale. It's been listed for about a month and I've basically only gotten "It's listed for to much" the car is only listed at 27k, which is what NADA values the car at.

So, I'm going to keep it since I don't care to get hassled and I wont less the car for less than I think it's worth considering how much time and effort I've put into it.

On that note, has anyone looked at the XR Red HTZ? Guessing it spools much faster than the Red.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #405
I was looking at that turbo, but I wasn't able to find any input or info on it.
I honestly don't remember seeing the XR Red when I got my Green. So I'm thinking a FMIC, XR Red, and external waste gate. Maybe a new clutch too. lolz All for next spring/summer.

But, info:

Compressor wheel - 76HTZ
Flow rating - 61LB per minute
CW Measurements - 54.8MM Inducer / 76MM Exducer
TW Measurements - 59.9MM Inducer / 54.9MM Exducer
Compressor Housing - 84MM FAP Cover
Turbine Housing - FP 9CM Subaru Turbine Housing
CHRA - Xona Rotor
Oil Line - Not Included

·
Registered
213 Posts
Definitely interested in seeing what kind of results you get. I bet the spool is gonna be wicked. Looking at the specs its more like a Green/Blue than the Red.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #408
Annnnnnnnnnnnd he's back! :-D
Haha word. I was talking to a friend about selling the STI and he was like I get why you're doing it. But honestly, I wouldn't do it if I were you. He said "dude, you're a car guy, you're always messing with the STI, do something, doing car things, racing, canyon drives, all sorts of stuff. But now you wanna sell the STI and save up for 2 years to buy a 911 turbo. You know you're going to impulse buy another racecar before then or buy a 911 turbo before you're ready and screw yourself on a payment."

Realistically, he is/was right. I have a hard time not being in a car I can enjoy. The STI is almost paid off, it's pretty fast, it has a couple small issues but that is fine. Everything is fixable. I still have a small stack of parts that never even got installed on it. So, just going to install what I have left before winter and focus on paying the car off. Hopefully I can pay it off before next summer so I can mod it more.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #409
Definitely interested in seeing what kind of results you get. I bet the spool is gonna be wicked. Looking at the specs its more like a Green/Blue than the Red.
It's basically a steroid version of the Green. Ball bearing, Xona wheel, 9cm housing, and 84mm inlet only. Definitely crazy to look at, I really want to see Prime Motoring tune one of these and see what kind of jam they can make. Ideally, I want to see them tune it with a FMIC, 1300cc injectors, EL headers, and flexfuel while on stock heads. Just so I can get realistic numbers for my car.

A blue:
Compressor wheel - 73HTZ
Flow rating - 57LB per minute
CW Measurements - 52.6MM Inducer / 73MM Exducer
TW Measurements - 60.8MM Inducer / 54MM Exducer
Compressor Housing - 84MM FAP Cover or 58MM Stock Appearing Cover
Turbine Housing - FP 8CM Subaru Turbine Housing
CHRA - FP Journal Bearing
Oil Line - Included

A green:
Compressor wheel - 76HTZ
TW Measurements - 67.3MM Inducer / 58.8MM Exducer
Compressor Housing - 60MM Small Inlet or 84MM FAP Cover
Turbine Housing - FP 8CM Subaru Turbine Housing
Oil Line - Included

A normal red
Compressor wheel - GT35R
Flow rating - 65LB per minute
CW Measurements - 61.5MM Inducer / 82MM Exducer
TW Measurements - 67.3MM Inducer / 58.8MM Exducer
Turbine Housing - FP 8CM or 10CM Subaru Turbine Housing
Oil Line - Included

A XR Red
Compressor wheel - 76HTZ
TW Measurements - 59.9MM Inducer / 54.9MM Exducer
Turbine Housing - FP 9CM Subaru Turbine Housing
CHRA - Xona Rotor
Oil Line - Not Included

·
Registered
170 Posts
So would the normal red vs xr red be similar to a GTX3576 and GTX3076 (both gen2's), respectively? If so, why would you prefer any of those over the garrett gen2's?

And why the xr over the regular; just quicker spool?

Lots of questions but that is because I am very curious as well, as I am looking at alternatives to possibly replace my dom3....

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #411
So would the normal red vs xr red be similar to a GTX3576 and GTX3076 (both gen2's), respectively? If so, why would you prefer any of those over the garrett gen2's?

And why the xr over the regular; just quicker spool?

Lots of questions but that is because I am very curious as well, as I am looking at alternatives to possibly replace my dom3....
I'm sure a gen 2 makes more power. But it's also $500 more. My car isn't really built to handle a Gen 2 right now. I'm on stock heads, and a non-closed block. Plus, I only have 1300cc injectors. I'm guessing the XR would get me to 500whp on my dyno and elevation, and I can get a discount on it through a friend. Plus, I really like FP stuff now. So I don't mind supporting the business.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Just saw a Gen 1 3076 do 572WHP, but with 272 cams.

I wouldn't mind stock location if it wasn't such a major PITA the work on :-/

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #413

What is the best anyone has seen a Red get too? Like 550whp?

I'd like to go rotated, but I'm really not looking forward to all the extra money on exhaust stuff. I'll never need more power than what I can get out of a stock location setup anyway because more than that is not good for the streets, track, or canyon runs. Just highway pulls, and I do my best to avoid that.

·
Registered
951 Posts
its a big ass turbo for stock location. and altitude doesn't help turbo spool. but i may be a little jaded. my current td06sl2 doesn't make 15 psi til ~4300 RPMs and im on E85

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'm sure a gen 2 makes more power. But it's also $500 more. My car isn't really built to handle a Gen 2 right now. I'm on stock heads, and a non-closed block. Plus, I only have 1300cc injectors. I'm guessing the XR would get me to 500whp on my dyno and elevation, and I can get a discount on it through a friend. Plus, I really like FP stuff now. So I don't mind supporting the business.

Gotcha. Makes sense

Nice, thats more in line with my goals. I will be happy to end up in the 500 whp range with torque around the same number... Currently my car's torque numbers are a little low for my liking (under 400 on IAG's dyno), which is one of the primary reasons I am considering a turbo swap. It sounds like the difference between a 3576 and 3076 is not that substantial from a spool perspective, but the 3576 provides huge margin for increasing power later... but I think it will probably be too big for my current setup, so need to figure it out. I started reading up on how to read compressor maps and calculating proper sizing, etc. Once I know this better, will apply to the two turbos and see where they map out. Also, I am not necessarily set on only one of those two options and if FP has a good cost effective alternative I will definitely be interested.

Regarding stock vs rotated location... I feel that once the car performs to my liking I will not continue to modify more, and if that level can be achieved with stock location, It will be my preference.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It's really hard to justify going rotated when a stock location XR Black 82 HTZ can make 600 whp. Interested in seeing what a stock location GTX3576 Gen 2 will make too.

I was considering a BCP x500+ turbo at one point seems that will get you to 500 whp quite easily.

I'm at that point where I've done everything I can to do my car. Next step is essentially a $20k commitment to get a built block.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #420
its a big ass turbo for stock location. and altitude doesn't help turbo spool. but i may be a little jaded. my current td06sl2 doesn't make 15 psi til ~4300 RPMs and im on E85
I mean, the turbo isn't that big. The housing and everything are basically the same size at the FP Green. XR Red and Red are different sizes. That of the XR being smaller with a more efficient wheel and ball bearing not journal bearing. So I actually think this would be more ideal for altitude than the Red.

My FP Green is hitting 24psi by 4200rpm, and I'm guessing this XR would make more boost at the same rpm range.

401 - 420 of 577 Posts