IW STi Forum banner

381 - 400 of 579 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #381
I DD a 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged that I put a motor in. cost me about 4k for the entire setup.
The thing is, I don't want a boosted car for a DD. Like the complexity of a boosted car over an NA is insane. Like so many more issues. I wanna keep it simple. But, the turbo's SS's are freakin' fast for what they are.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I had one before this car.

I'd love one as a DD. but the supercharged one is simple, and costs too much to modify for little gain. so thats why I chose it lol

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts
I can feel the pain of wanting NA for a DD. I did that with the wife... I wanted to get her a WRX so I could play with it a little too. :) But then I was like, I already know the night of things that need replaced and these cars aren't the most fun to work on.

That's said, my DD is boosted, but it's a diesel. They're a good bit more reliable and "dumb" on a way. The ease of a diesel in my case is made significantly more complex by being a Mercedes... And emissions bullshit, which I've bypassed most of anyway.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #385
I can feel the pain of wanting NA for a DD. I did that with the wife... I wanted to get her a WRX so I could play with it a little too. :) But then I was like, I already know the night of things that need replaced and these cars aren't the most fun to work on.

That's said, my DD is boosted, but it's a diesel. They're a good bit more reliable and "dumb" on a way. The ease of a diesel in my case is made significantly more complex by being a Mercedes... And emissions bullshit, which I've bypassed most of anyway.

If the price inflation for a diesel wasn't so much I would have highly considered it. But, lol, they're so expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #386
No word yet back on the STI. They were supposed to call me yesterday about what exactly is broken.

Also, picked up the 330i yesterday. A few small issues, passenger side airbag light cause of a faulty sensor. I read up on how to bypass it. I guess when you bypass it, it automatically assumes someone is in the seat so they say no small kids in the front. Which is fine, cause I don't have kids. haha It also has a valve cover gasket leak, which is also super common. Shop quoted me 270 to fix that and replace all the bolts. Other then that, it's been great. Previous owner was getting 29.1 mpg on the trip with 990 miles driven. So I'm guessing I'll be around 26-27 cause I do a little less HWY miles then he did. But that's waaaay better then what the STI gets on E85(16-17lolz).

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sad to see the STI go.

But to a BMW???? The parts to repair simple things make Subaru's look like a walk in the part cost wise.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #389
Sad to see the STI go.

But to a BMW???? The parts to repair simple things make Subaru's look like a walk in the part cost wise.
From what I've read this specific car is very reliable. Also, I've put 4x's(literally, 4 times) the amount of just aftermarket parts into the STI then I even bought the BMW for. I bought it almost 3k under value. So I'll live with it. Also, I don't think parts are that expensive for them. For example. A valve cover gasket repair from the dealer is 970$, through a local Euro shop it's less then $300 for parts and labor. I think what is expensive is the dealership, not necessarily the parts.

STI will go when the price I want is met. Until then it'll get enjoyed.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #390
So, I must have broke the shifter linkage last night. I have no gears 1-6 at all. I can make a complete square with the shifter and nothing. I do have reverse.
So, still no car. I was told they were going to be cracking the trans open yesterday and they would call me with what was broken. But I haven't heard anything. It's been 2 weeks. </3

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #391
Alright, got a call last night. I guess shifter forks 3 and 4 and then some how reverse were all broken? New forks and seals have been ordered and overnighted from japan ;) they will be here Monday. Shop told me they will most likely call me Tuesday.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #395
sounds like "pretty hard" is an understatement LOL
I don't think it's an understatement. It's had 66k miles of abuse and countless hard shifts. It's going to break at some point. It's not like it was the first time I've ever done it. I mean there have been literally hundreds of no lift shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #397
I see... I am not too easy on mine either, I don't do flat foot shifting a whole lot though. Atleast you drive the car like it was meant to be driven!
Basically all freeway on ramps I flat foot shift. I don't really speed often, as I think it's best way to get into trouble. So I'd rather just get up to speed very quickly.

Update, no car still. Trans shop still has the trans. Subaru shop is hoping to get it back tomorrow. Said once they have the trans it shouldn't be long before they have it all back together. :(

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #398
Well, I guess Subaru didn't send out a part with everything that was ordered 2 weeks ago. So they asked for it last week and someone somewhere thought it wasn't a big deal to either place the order, or actually get it in the system. So, Monday we found that out. They shipped the part, got here today. Shop is hoping to get the trans back tonight or early tomorrow from the transmission shop. They said they want to get it to me before the weekend. So, that is what I'm hoping for! Going on 5 weeks now. haha fml

·
Registered
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #400
Alright alright alright, I got the STI back. It's just as fun as I remember. And makes all the loud noises still.

Side note. Raced a new Camaro SS from 60-110 and had him by a few car lengths. Lol, thought he had a chance.

381 - 400 of 579 Posts