IW STi Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For those of you who have had a TXS TBE as long as I have (or plan to), I can now report that the graphite donut gasket has a limited lifespan.

I bought my TXS TBE in 2002, and have had it on my WRX or STi ever since. After 5 years of dutiful service, I experienced an undercar exhaust leak last month. It got louder and louder over the course of a few days, to the point where it sounded really cool. :lol:

I ordered a hardware replacement kit from TXS for $42.50, and replaced every gasket, nut, and bolt on the TBE. One of the bolts froze, and it took me 30 minutes to muscle it off, but that's not atypical for old bolts on an exhaust system. Attached is a picture of (what is left of) the gasket...

Anyway, after the hardware was replaced, all was well again. :)

The bottom line: the donut gasket lasted about 5 years for me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
no doubt...break one of them & your done...:mad:

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, I didn't remove the DP from the turbo, I use a new DP/turbo gasket every time - just the rest of the gaskets.

I'm not afraid of the studs, you just need the right tools. :)

·
Indiatr0n in yo IWDPL
8,577 Posts
What tools?

I did it by draining a can of PB blaster on it, and then using my handy 15" long 1/2" drive Craftsman breaker bar. I escaped without breaking any studs, but I'd hate to break a stubborn one next time!

Of course, my assumption is that those studs/nuts are easier the 2nd time around since the factory gorilla didn't tighten them back on once I was done with the turboback.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
+1 for TXS I've had mine on for 2+ years on 2 different cars :D

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Nandan - the flexhead 14mm socket is your best friend. during a DP install. I've never needed a breaker bar, and would definitely be afraid to use one on those studs.

You could be right about certain cars having overtightened nuts on the stud - I may be fortunate to own two Subarus that had no issues. But I also know I am careful.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That just means you had the wrong flexhead! :)

I have a dedicated 14mm flexhead -- not the universal interchangeable type. If interested, I can look up the brandname. It is either from Ace Hardware or from Sears Hardware (i.e., Craftsman).

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW - I broke into my toolbox today (putting together a Bowflex Extreme 2), and saw that my 14mm flex head is from Craftsman....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.