IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know about crossovers and tweeters? i got the infity kappa component set and the tweeters are just making my ears bleed and giving me a headache? i know im not the only one....how do i lower the tweeter level? i've tried putting the trebble down all the way and it's still too loud and makes the sound quality crap? should i put some insulating foam around the tweeter? man i need a solution quick.... btw are there any products out there to fix this problem/?/

·
Registered
382 Posts
with my reference components, there was another power terminal next to the standard power for 3dB less than normal. My 5 1/4 References sound great.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I did the same with my Infinity Reference 6.5" as well. The tweeters sound very balanced on the lower crossover setting. It did work great on mine. My are just running off the head unit and they still sound great.

·
Registered
382 Posts
well, first make sure that custom contour junk is off. If its off, you should have got References :wink: . I'm sure someone knows how to fix this...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Most better quality component sets will have a provision (switch or jumper) on the crossover to pad the tweeters. Check your manual.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
only thing on mine, are where you can switch from the countour, or flat....i put it on flat (which allows mor mid range to come through) but stiill painful....man can't belive the kappas dont have anything like the switch or jumper your talking about.....anyone got kappas and figure out a solution? im thinking of padding the tweeters with some foam or something...i'll let you guys know when i do that

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nope not yet...that maybe the problem? or i just think the tweeters are too high....ooooooooor, maybe it's cuz my woofer needs to be broken in, untill then, the woofer might be just weak....later they might balance out???

·
Registered
167 Posts
The tweeter requires very little power to operate at high volumes while the driver requires a lot more power to reproduce the larger waves of sound. I think the fact that you are not using an amp is the problem for sure. Even a small, decent quality amp will help.

·
Registered
260 Posts
gtpark81 said:
nope not yet...that maybe the problem? or i just think the tweeters are too high....ooooooooor, maybe it's cuz my woofer needs to be broken in, untill then, the woofer might be just weak....later they might balance out???
When you refer to the woofer, you mean the 6.5" driver in the door right? Is there a chance that this driver is not producing enough low and midrange sound such that the imbalance makes it appear that the tweeter is too bright? I'm guessing you have the speaker mounted to a spacer and to the door, are you using any kind of dynamat or soundproofing around the "woofer"? Try sealing the woofer, you'll probably get better low end response and in turn the tweeter may sound just fine. Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
New hood

I have heard that the tweaters in the kappa's are very bright and I also heard the woofer requires a lot of power to sound good. Like psycho said, you probably need to get an amp to power the woofers.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
drewster said:
gtpark81 said:
When you refer to the woofer, you mean the 6.5" driver in the door right? Is there a chance that this driver is not producing enough low and midrange sound such that the imbalance makes it appear that the tweeter is too bright? I'm guessing you have the speaker mounted to a spacer and to the door, are you using any kind of dynamat or soundproofing around the "woofer"? Try sealing the woofer, you'll probably get better low end response and in turn the tweeter may sound just fine. Just a thought...
yeah the 6.5..hmmm i might go ahead and seal the woofer, but what do i seal this with? and think psycho is right, i probably need t ojust power them with an amp, i think at the level that i get the painful bright tweeter noise, is where the woofer should be stronger and louder, but its not....i'll try with an amp and let you guys know! thanks guys for all your input

·
Registered
167 Posts
gtpark81 said:
drewster said:
gtpark81 said:
yeah the 6.5..hmmm i might go ahead and seal the woofer, but what do i seal this with? and think psycho is right, i probably need t ojust power them with an amp, i think at the level that i get the painful bright tweeter noise, is where the woofer should be stronger and louder, but its not....i'll try with an amp and let you guys know! thanks guys for all your input
Yes, the driver should be sealed. I do not think that your problem is caused by the lack of a seal or dampening. If after you get an amp, you hear rattling/buzzing, then you may want to consider looking into sealant and dampening.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I posted this pic on another thread but here's how I sealed my driver. You should be able to get better low end response if the sound isn't leaking out from the side of the driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
drewster said:
I posted this pic on another thread but here's how I sealed my driver. You should be able to get better low end response if the sound isn't leaking out from the side of the driver.
drewster: are you using an amplifier for those separates?

·
Registered
260 Posts
psycho said:
drewster: are you using an amplifier for those separates?
Running from headunit power now and is strictly a temporary setup until I find subwoofer enclosure, then I'll figure out what subwoofer to use and the appropriate power amp(s) to drive it all.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
hey what material did you use to seal that? hope that will help some, but yeah definatly amp is the wya to go

·
Registered
260 Posts
People have used products from Dynamat, Cascade Audio and B-Quiet (brown bread) but here's what I did. I went to the yellow pages, looked for a local listing under Acoustical Materials-Retail, called them up and explained that it was for a car application and they knew exactly what I needed. Much cheaper than going with the name brand products. I bought this batch a few years ago so I don't remember what I paid. I also used it on the inside surface of the outer door panel. Give it a shot and save some $$$.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts