IW STi Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any wrx/sti owners driven an srt-4?

Fellow Subarites,

Has anyone tried re-positioning the intercooler as they do on the rally cars. I also noticed that the intake manifold is quiet larger on the rally car. Is there any way to purchase this manifold?

Hopefully, Subaru will switch to an intercooled system for 2006.

Thanks,

Attachments

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
SubaruUberAlles said:
Fellow Subarites,

Has anyone tried re-positioning the intercooler as they do on the rally cars. I also noticed that the intake manifold is quiet larger on the rally car. Is there any way to purchase this manifold?

Like an FMIC (front mount intercooler)? or do you mean kinda like move the manifold back and the IC foward?

Hopefully, Subaru will switch to an intercooled system for 2006.

They have intercooled systems now lol. Do you mean an intercooled system like that as the rally car?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well guys.... Front mounted Intercoolers are definetly available for these puppy's... just like the Rally Car. The advantage to them are that they do not sit directly on the engine so their temperature remains cooler at all times!

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
subycansubydo said:
Well guys.... Front mounted Intercoolers are definetly available for these puppy's... just like the Rally Car. The advantage to them are that they do not sit directly on the engine so their temperature remains cooler at all times!
that and the main advantage is that you can make it nearly 5-6 times BIGGER and the entire intercooler is being fed by a RAM force air fed through the front of the car, rather then a scoop. Having the air able to consistantly flow through an IC 4-6 x bigger then stock is a huge difference, that and the bumper hole is (obviously) going to let a HUGE amount of air in rather then just a scoop. FMICs are very nice upgrades, if only they werent so dang expensive ;)

Robert~

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Re: front mounted intercoolers

FMICs have their downside, too, at least in Scoobies. The plumbing required is extensive, resulting in a large volume of air that has to be compressed before the intake pressure rises. I.e., more lag.

Maybe a TMIC water/air I/C with a front-mounted radiator to cool the cooling the water be a way to go. Or maybe a TMIC with recycled spray-evaporative cooling like the new Cray processors use. :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I should have clarified myself regarding intercoolers. I was talking about a A/C refrigerant system.

·
Registered
142 Posts
There are no productions cars that I know of that use a " A/C refrigerant system". The near exception would be next generation SVT Lightning that has been published to use a system as desribed with a claimed ~50hp boost in power for short bursts. The SVT Lightning(Cobra as well) uses an air to water intercooler system with the super charger.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts