IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LED front and rear Subispeed tail light mod for turn signals.
I use a Valenti flasher relay to compensate for the resistance.
My left signals stopped working and the dash panel arrow also stopped illuminating. The relay still clicks though.
I put the hazards on with left signal on the stalk and voila all is well.
Tried a few more times and it stopped again.
Thoughts, ideas?
Replace the relay? The new rear light mod ?
Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
The flasher relay is the cheapest test fix. Diode Dynamics makes one that I haven't had problems with after 3 years so far, and its customizable too (number of tap-to-turn blinks, hazard blink pattern, lock/unlock light timer etc.)

·
Registered
109 Posts
The flasher relay is the cheapest test fix. Diode Dynamics makes one that I haven't had problems with after 3 years so far, and its customizable too (number of tap-to-turn blinks, hazard blink pattern, lock/unlock light timer etc.)
I agree... When you're messing with aftermarket lighting, it's always a toss-up when it comes to what is wrong - but a flasher relay is relatively cheap, and pretty easy to replace. I also recommend the Diode Dynamics.

The only other thing to check - assuming you've already checked the fuses (though the clicking relay should rule that out), is going back to stock lighting.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would hate to have to reinstall the original turn signals.
Fuses are ok because the problem is intermittent.
I ordered a replacement relay.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update.
Installed the Subispeed flasher relay.
No luck. In fact now the hazards won’t blink when the dash is powered up. Hazards are fine with power off the car and hazard button selected.
Left turn signals dead. Right is fine.
Replace left original rear light assembly. As above. My original assembly is outfitted with all LED bulbs but hazards and turn signals are dead.
Anybody have further ideas or trouble shooting. I am going to check the manual for fuse and relay locations.
I am stumped.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No luck. Still an intermittent failure.
Can somebody do me a favor and let me know if your hazard selector button in the car lights up when pressed? Mine does not and I was curious if that’s part of the problem. Nothing in the owners manual.
Thanks.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No luck. Still an intermittent failure.
Can somebody do me a favor and let me know if your hazard selector button in the car lights up when pressed? Mine does not and I was curious if that’s part of the problem. Nothing in the owners manual.
Thanks.
Anyone?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am at a loss.
New Diode Dynamics flasher relay. Left circuit dead in turn signal and hazard mode. Right circuit perfect.
New Subispeed flasher relay. As above.
Original flasher relay Hyperblink and intermittent left circuit.
Valenti flasher relay. Intermittent left circuit in hazard and turn signal mode. Right circuit perfect. Works better than any other relay, but intermittent.
Checked all light housings, connections and wires.
Disconnected the battery.
Last hope is take to stealership and have them check the MFS and hope they replace under warranty.
Completely baffled. I hate chasing intermittent faults.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stealership messed around for an hour and installed the original incandescent bulb. Blamed it on the LEDs.
I now think it may be a loose connection in the plastic plug where the bulb is installed.
Just going to tape everything tight and tie rap the excess wire before reinstalling the LED. This can’t be rocket science. Hopefully the Diode Dynamics flasher relay will work as advertised. Otherwise, I’ll have to sell it cheap.
Bright side, the dealer didn’t charge me for the diagnosis.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Changing turn signals to LEDs may in fact be linked to why it doesn't work. I believe the turn signals use resistance in their timings (so when your bulb blows the indicator flashes faster). Maybe using LEDs instead of regular bulbs is making them act wonky?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That’s it! I am done chasing this effing problem. All good for a week. Today, the nonworking left circuit reappeared.
Going to switch my fronts back to incandescent. Obviously, my car's electrical system can’t handle full up LEDs.
Call me pissed in FLA.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts