IW STi Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know, I know... :lol: a bunch of you do not approve of a mod that does not add to the STi's performance.... but, you know, I am pretty happy with the performance as-is so far (although I'd consider doing some work on the handling aspect of it).

And, I really love the BOV sound (became this way after hearing the sensational shriek from a souped up A4/S4 -- debadged -- a couple of years ago, which arrived shortly after its jet-like turbo whine.) I tried the de-snorkulus mod, but that didn't produce the sound I was hoping for, and cold-air vs. hot-air consideration made me put that back in...

So, when I came across a TXS RFL BOV kit for WRX '02-'03 on eBay a couple of weeks ago, I could not resist. I thought the price was good, too. (~$150) It arrived today and was installed successfully in no time / with no hassel. No rough idle nor popping in the rear. (FYI, I used 5 washers that came in the package to adjust the spring tension as per TurboXS's recommendation on their website.)

At under 3500-4000 rpm, the car drives normally with next to no BOV shriek. So, I drive it at 4k or below in residential areas. At above 4k, it starts playing its tune g a little louder and when you start hitting 6k+, it psssshhhs nicely. When you heel & toe, you can hear softer psshhhs as well.

For those of you who share similar likes & dislikes, I have posted the JPG's and MPG's taken after the installation at my site:

http://ritzy.sytes.net/STi/

Hope you enjoy them. No flames please. :oops:

-Rich

·
Registered
241 Posts
STI available now

I voted I love it, because I'm partial to them...

I think that the HKS is the best tho, the sound, and the performance.

I had the forge on my car at a point, but took it off when i realized it was leaking boost pressure... my HKS doesn't do that. After studying an RFL, I noticed that the design is similar to the Forge, so I'm going to assume that you might encounter the same problem. Whether or not it bothers you is a different issue :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
RFL sounds great. how does the hks sound in relation to RFL? also, the RFL is loud at just about ever rpm. say i shift at 3.5, will the hks be pretty loud? thanks for the input.

Kyle R

1 - 3 of 3 Posts