IW STi Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone suggest a muffler (cat back I guess) that will replace the RFL i have on my sti. I have the whole RFL package, Turbo back and I need 3 inch and quieter. My wife is ready to kill me because every time I come home, there is a good chance I'll wake my 6 week old. Also the drone on my 45 minute highway commute is making my ears ring. thanks in advance... sleep deprived dave. And, yes, I knew what RFL stood for.

·
3,274 Posts
SMB is the original manufacturer of TurboXS's exhausts. They make the "standard muffler" with full 3" piping. (It's only offered in 2.5" here in the states by TXS.)

http://www.smb.net.au/fullsystemssubaruwrx.htm and scroll down a bit to find the "OVAL REAR MUFFLER 2".

It's hard to find a 3" "axle-back" If you can live with 2.5" piping then you have a lot more options. Or if you don't mine spending the $$$ there are a lot of cat-backs out there you can get and then just use the muffler part. Unless you're going to a big turbo 2.5" piping is fine and you can pick up a cheap used 2.5" TXS standard muffler on here or NASIOC.

For the record I have the JDM Sport Muffler currently. When I go to a bigger turbo and max out the 2.5" piping on the Sport Muffler then I'll go to the SMB 3" muffler.

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,432 Posts
can anyone suggest a muffler (cat back I guess) that will replace the RFL i have on my sti. I have the whole RFL package, Turbo back and I need 3 inch and quieter. My wife is ready to kill me because every time I come home, there is a good chance I'll wake my 6 week old. Also the drone on my 45 minute highway commute is making my ears ring. thanks in advance... sleep deprived dave. And, yes, I knew what RFL stood for.
you should be able to bolt any "axle back" onto it. If you want just that, i would try a genome they always seem to sound nice. If you want a complete "cat back" then i would buy a Borla XR-1. Its got a nice borla sound, odds are no one around you will have it, looks stock (will not get hassled by the cops) and sounds AMAZING!

you could always bolt the stock axle back back up and have the TXS "stealth back."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
spazegun2213 said:
you should be able to bolt any "axle back" onto it. If you want just that, i would try a genome they always seem to sound nice. If you want a complete "cat back" then i would buy a Borla XR-1. Its got a nice borla sound, odds are no one around you will have it, looks stock (will not get hassled by the cops) and sounds AMAZING!

you could always bolt the stock axle back back up and have the TXS "stealth back."

are those all 3" pipes? I have an FP Green, FMIC with meth. I don't want to risk anything.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kts262 said:
The GeNome is 2.5" piping as is the stock axle-back.

Like I said in my first post check out SMB axle-back and/or some 3" catbacks and just use the muffler/axle-back portion.
I've already got an email out to them. thanks for the advice!!!

·
3,274 Posts

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
kts262 said:
That's the resonator/midpipe and not the axle-back though. ;)

Still a nice piece and it is tempting to pick up....
Yeah, I saw that after the fact. If he likes the look of the RFl he could always just get the resonated midpipe. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts