IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELP! Radio installed, wrong harness????

I just installed my TurboXS DP, Race-pipe, and B-Pipe (Hooks to stock muffler perfectly).

First impression just reving it was that it revs much easier and the turbo spins faster/easier. The turbo is also much louder now. I had the intake resonator removed before I installed the exhaust and you could hear the turbo much better, but now you can't miss it (I personally love the sound). The ehaust note is deap and not too loud. It actually cracks after you let off the gas (That is due to being catless).

Driving around at about 3000 and nailing it in 1st / 2nd is the biggest differnce I could feel. It just leaps and revs very freely.

I am very happy with the fit and quality of the whole system and it was easy to install. Of course I have a lift in my garage so that helps alot. :D

I am taking it to the dragstrip tomorrow and we will see how much the exhaust helps ET. My previous best was 13.3 @ 100. I am hoping for 13.1 or 13.0 around 102. I am adding the boost controller next week when my gage arrives. I'll post some updates as I progess.

CoreySTi04

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Awesome Corey! I've been planning on getting the same system and I was curious how well it would work with the stock muffler. Did the sound change at all? I'm debating never changing out the stock muffler....it has the perfect sound, just not quite the volume I'd like.

How bad was the install? Sounds like it wasn't too bad with a lift. Could this be done with the car up on jack stands??

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Yes, I would also like to keep the stock muffler and was interested in this setup. Is there a way you could post some sound clips? BTW, lift in your garage, you suck! :wink:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
94 TT supra for sale

Dragstrip was rained out. :cry: I guess I'll have to wait until next week to see performance numbers. The sound is definately louder than stock but not bad IMO. I love the boxer rumble. It doesn't get too loud unless you're on it. I will take my digital camera out and get a clip for you when it stops raining.

Yes I think the install could be done on jackstands. It would be much more difficult to get the downpipe out though. The whole install took about 3 hours. Including removing and re-installing the IC and modifying the heat shield to fit over the new DP.

CoreySTi04

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AHH! NEED A BUMPER!

I have the sound clip. I can't upload an mpg so if somebody wants to host it or want me to email it to them drop me a line.

CoreySTi04

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again RLsChMiDt

Let me know what you guys think.

C-

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Yikes......never heard backfiring like that before.

Did you reset the ECU and get it to learn the new setup? Honestly....I wouldn't be real happy with pops and crackles like that. Something doesn't sound right.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Is the popping because of the race pipe (no cats) or is because of running rich?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The cracking was quite a bit louder than normal in the clip because it was inside my garage 2 feet from a wall. :wink: It cracks alot more when you just rev the egnine than it does when you are driving it. I would guess it is running a bit richer than normal because the rear 02 sensor isn't really seeing anything. I have heard several other catless WRX's and it is on par with them, so I am not concerned.

C-

·
Registered
241 Posts
SOLD OUT!! PRICE DROP - $1,200 over Invoice - 2 in stock

yeah. Def. don't take sound clips in a garage, I've learned that over my years :p

I've got the catless stealthback on my car, and if you've ever seen that video of me using launch control at night, then that's what it sounds like :D

Note: The loud pops and bangs that sound like a gun in that video are from the launch control and flat shifting...those don't happen normally

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey all I took it out with the stealthback on. I was expecting maybe a couple tenths lower and a couple MPH higher than my stock time of [email protected] I was very happy to see the slips when I got back.

1st run:

1.766 60'
83.49 MPH
8.189 660'
103.93 MPH
12.898 1320'

WOHOO! :p

I was shocked to see it made that big of an improvement.

3rd and best run was:

1.687 60'
83.18 MPH
8.123 660'
103.69 MPH
12.853 ET

Thats 1/2 a second and 4 MPH better than stock still with the stock muffler.
Obviously well worth the cash.

I'm still tuning in the boost controller but I'm hoping for 12.60-12.70's with it. :)

CoreySTi04

·
Registered
389 Posts
I was under the impression that if you take the Cat of your car, and they find out (cop pulling you over for expample) that they could litterally impound your car and even keep it in some states... Am I wrong?

·
Registered
270 Posts
STi speakers pre-wiring question, please help!!

did this mod void your warrenty??

·
Registered
284 Posts
i was just talking to a couple of friends about the same thing as Y2K and someone mentioned the possibility that a cop pulling you over for a minor traffic violation might find out that there is a DP and write a ticket... honest question -HOW!? is it that obvious? (I have no prior experience with DP mods). assuming that it was within sound regulations, what else would draw attention to it?
i gotta know.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
How would having a DP constitute receiving a ticket?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Because a DP is usually a straight pipe with no cats, so removing the cats is the problem. I have actually heard of some pretty severe penalties for modifing or removing cats on a car, fines in the five figure range and/or even loosing your car. I have personally not heard of this happening to anyone but if I got pulled over with no cats I would be as nice as possible so I don't give the cop reasons to find other things to "write me up" for.

BTW, one way to tell besided actually getting under the car and looking is the smell. You ever been behind a car with no cats at a light and then stay behind them as you accelerate away from the stop? Stinky.

·
Registered
284 Posts
thats what im talking about... what cop would actually go under your car and inspect the cats/piping? isnt the cop more interested in giving a ticket for failing to come to a complete stop at a stop sign, for example? im basically wondering if this is a remote (or not) possibility. is it THAT stinky?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts