IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the difference? Which one is better. I'm thinkin of the HKS Hi power with silencer Carbon Titanium Exhaust and Downpipe.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
I think turbo back replaces your cats with a downpipe along with the muffler. Cat back is usually just the muffler.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Just what the names say.....

Turbo back - replaces everything from the turbo....back! Downpipe, cats (high flow or none), and rear section.

Catback - replaces everything from the last cat...back! Just piping and the muffler/tip section.

Depends what you are looking for. Obviously replacing the entire system is more expensive. A turbo back system is designed to work together, but I'm sure most downpipes will work well with any good cat back system.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Meet at Metric subaru sunday8/10 WRC CAR PRESENT!!

Turbo back should offer the highest advantages.

Eliminating the downpipe cat on the WRX offered a nice improvement in turbo spool and rpm where the highest boost is achieved. I would expect the same thing with the STi. Then leave a high flow cat in the mid pipe so you do not get the cat inefficiency CEL.

Cheers

Nick

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello all. I just installed a downpipe and HKS Carbon Titanium exhaust. Awesome sound. Very fast.........STI owners...Definitely do a turbo back.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
if you do a turbo back, a free flowing intake and boost controller, be ready to do something about the wategate. My turbo spools so easily now that the wastegate can't flow enough and I get boost creep. Now I gotta put the stock air box back in until I get an external wastegate.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Anonymous said:
Xman I have the CEL and blinking Cruise light. Is there a fix? or will the ecu learn it?
The blinking cruise in indicative of a vacum line problem {from my experience}. Make sure a line did not pop off under the hood.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Anonymous said:
Turbo back should offer the highest advantages.

Eliminating the downpipe cat on the WRX offered a nice improvement in turbo spool and rpm where the highest boost is achieved. I would expect the same thing with the STi. Then leave a high flow cat in the mid pipe so you do not get the cat inefficiency CEL.

Cheers

Nick
I did the TurboXS RFL-TI turbo back with one high flow cat. 2000 miles later and no CEL. I love it.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
what about emissions? Do you need to return it back to stock if you install a turbo-back?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm interested in this thread. How much is the HKS turbo-back titanium exhaust? How much louder than stock is it? Is it emissions legal? Is that a stupid question?

I'm looking for more power, but don't want an outrageously loud exhaust...my daily driver (45 miles each way to work).

·
Registered
241 Posts
StiBoy said:
I'm interested in this thread. How much is the HKS turbo-back titanium exhaust? How much louder than stock is it? Is it emissions legal? Is that a stupid question?

I'm looking for more power, but don't want an outrageously loud exhaust...my daily driver (45 miles each way to work).
Like any exhaust, it's going to be louder than stock (for the most part).

You can't just ask HOW much louder than stock it will be because it depends TOTALLY on the system you purchase. Go to worldoneperformance.com and look at the exhaust systems for the WRX. Most will fit.

You can find some sound clips on fastwrx.com ... they're on a wrx, but the sound will be the same... (again, for the most part)

:D

·
Registered
467 Posts
RLsChMiDt said:
Like any exhaust, it's going to be louder than stock (for the most part).

You can't just ask HOW much louder than stock it will be because it depends TOTALLY on the system you purchase. Go to worldoneperformance.com and look at the exhaust systems for the WRX. Most will fit.

You can find some sound clips on fastwrx.com ... they're on a wrx, but the sound will be the same... (again, for the most part)

:D
Thanks, but I'm aware of all that. Of course it's going to be louder. I've heard one sound clip (the Turbo X/S, I think), and it sounds way too loud.

Read my question again. I was specifiically asking about the HKS exhaust.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Well, my friend has the HKS Carbon-Ti exhaust, and it's LOUD.

If you're wondering if it's too loud, then it is.

I have a catless stealthback mated to a prodrive, and it sounds awesome. You might want to look into that. I have a video of me if you'd like to see it...

·
Registered
467 Posts
RLsChMiDt said:
Well, my friend has the HKS Carbon-Ti exhaust, and it's LOUD.

If you're wondering if it's too loud, then it is.

I have a catless stealthback mated to a prodrive, and it sounds awesome. You might want to look into that. I have a video of me if you'd like to see it...
That's essentially what Turbo XS says about their system "If you need to ask then it's too loud for you!"

Is your car in the the vid too? You know, I'm sure you're a nice guy an' all, but I'm not really into that...;-/ Kidding...sure, I'd like to hear it...you got link?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Nice vid, I especially like the flame that shoots out of the exhaust and the loud back fire pop. :eek:

·
Registered
452 Posts
gforced said:
Nice vid, I especially like the flame that shoots out of the exhaust and the loud back fire pop. :eek:
Why does it backfire? Running rich (with a BOV?), or ... are you running a misfiring system (anti-lag)!? :eek:

Ahhhh, I'd love a misfiring system on my STi except (1) it doesn't lag all that much and for my driving needs, I don't really need one; (2) I can't afford to throw away my exhaust every few hundred kilometers; and (3) PD won't like to see my car on the road. :lol:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts